What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Guest Grey512

Shorting more VRX, CAT, DE.

Shorting offshore Chinese Yuan.

How do you short cnh? I have been looking for an asymmetric way to do this.

Outright; USD-CNH spot trade. Not asymmetric at all. I'm OK with a linear return profile here (for now).

Not sure what asymmetric ways there are to express a negative view on China or CNH, to be honest.. Maybe one could buy put options on things that trade inversely with Chinese sentiment and Chinese consumer purchasing power. I.e. stuff like LVMH / Salvatore Ferragamo. Or buy put options on commodity & commodity-linked names like Glencore. Welcome your views.

I periodically expressed a negative China trade by shorting YINN (a China ETF), but that's not asymmetric.

AAPL DIS SAN

Great purchases re: AAPL (lots of cash sitting on the books for acquisitions and share repurchases) and DIS what an incredible movie lineup coming out in 2016: Captain America 3, Star Wars: Rogue One, Finding Dory, Zootopia, and Dr. Strange. Will be interested to see how Iger reacts to continued cord cutting with ESPN subscribers.

P.S. I love Minnesota. I visit St. Cloud every Christmas.

Shorting more VRX, CAT, DE.

Shorting offshore Chinese Yuan.

How do you short cnh? I have been looking for an asymmetric way to do this.

Outright; USD-CNH spot trade. Not asymmetric at all. I'm OK with a linear return profile here (for now).

Not sure what asymmetric ways there are to express a negative view on China or CNH, to be honest.. Maybe one could buy put options on things that trade inversely with Chinese sentiment and Chinese consumer purchasing power. I.e. stuff like LVMH / Salvatore Ferragamo. Or buy put options on commodity & commodity-linked names like Glencore. Welcome your views.

I periodically expressed a negative China trade by shorting YINN (a China ETF), but that's not asymmetric.

Sorry, in what brokerage account could you do the USD-CNH trade?  Thanks.

If you look around there is a lot of smart money sitting on it....Berkshire sitting on $58B.

I don't think you can read much into Berkshire's cash balance.  While I don't follow them closely (I know, that is like blasphemy on this message board...), I'm pretty sure they have held a high cash balance for the last few years, and I assume some of the cash sitting on their balance sheet is for the closing of their $32 billion acquisition of precision castparts.