Fairfax 2024

10 minutes ago, Hoodlum said:

Our friend Brett has raised his target from $970 to 1180 cdn.  I don’t know how he can reconcile the stock being overvalued at $970, yet increase the target by $210.  He will need to do it again before long. 

https://www.morningstar.com/company-reports/1216921-fairfax-increasing-our-fair-value-estimate?listing=0P00006821

Can you see how much he changed his earnings estimates?

20 minutes ago, SafetyinNumbers said:

He says his target is 1x 2023 YE BV but C$1180 is US$862 and 2023 YE BV was ~US$940.

How does this stuff get published?

By the scam and brainwashing of CFA designation.

54 minutes ago, Haryana said:

By the scam and brainwashing of CFA designation.

I’m proud of my CFA but it doesn’t make someone care about the quality of their work.

I care about what I share on Social Media and I’m not getting paid by anyone.

I got a look at a prior report of Brett’s and noticed that he projects Earnings per diluted share…so presumably he converts actual book value per share at year end 2023 to a book value per diluted share instead. I think diluted shares are about 8% higher than actual shares.  That may well explain the disconnect between his report and the reality that I care about personally.

47 minutes ago, Maverick47 said:

I got a look at a prior report of Brett’s and noticed that he projects Earnings per diluted share…so presumably he converts actual book value per share at year end 2023 to a book value per diluted share instead. I think diluted shares are about 8% higher than actual shares.  That may well explain the disconnect between his report and the reality that I care about personally.

That doesn’t make sense. They shares held for employees haven’t vested yet. He probably doesn’t understand the accounting. Also it’s weird because the computer sets the target price so he’s working backwards. 

5 hours ago, Hoodlum said:

Our friend Brett has raised his target from $970 to 1180 cdn.  I don’t know how he can reconcile the stock being overvalued at $970, yet increase the target by $210.  He will need to do it again before long. 

https://www.morningstar.com/company-reports/1216921-fairfax-increasing-our-fair-value-estimate?listing=0P00006821

Not bad for a no moat company!  Cheers!

What stood out to me:

1. Their expertise in India and how well the bial team is executing
    • Buffett and Jain tried to set up an insurance operation in India and gave up. I am sure they tried to invest there and found out it was too difficult. This is of course from 2010, before Modi. I would say that Watsa has been highly successful instead and it does get enough credit for this. He saw the opportunity and positioned fairfax to succeed.
    • Bial becoming a hub for airlines in the south of India is a great accomplishment 
  2. Sokol made me jump from my chair: I was not expecting that kind of growth from Atlas
  3. "we don't forecast, we react and we are fast": great line and great example with the $1B issuance not being possible today
  4. The fact that FFH might be less dependent on investment gains going forward and their improved ability to absorb cat losses: I liked that whole segment.
    • I don't think we are there already but it is a promising start especially if they tilt their investment strategy in that direction

G

• Like 1

Very odd - FRFHF opened down nearly -4% today in the US Market.  Was able to add more in size around the ~$1055 level USD.  Just very odd opening action in the first 10-15mins of trading.  Has since normalized a bit.

38 minutes ago, ValueMaven said:

Very odd - FRFHF opened down nearly -4% today in the US Market.  Was able to add more in size around the ~$1055 level USD.  Just very odd opening action in the first 10-15mins of trading.  Has since normalized a bit.

FFH was also down 2.5% at the open. The CAD to US exchange rate had a large drop with CAD dollar dropping almost 2% over past 2 days.  So there was likely an exchange rate adjustment on the stock this morning as well. 

I picked up some more as well after the open. 

Edited by Hoodlum

7 hours ago, Santayana said:

It comes up every year, but I'm always a little surprised at the > 10% number that seem to always vote against Prem.

The small protest every year against Prem is fine...he's CEO...there is always going to be a small group of disgruntled shareholders.  Buffett even usually gets the most against him too.

But it's almost a 50/50 split on subordinate voting for Bill...I've never seen that before!

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Parsad said:

The small protest every year against Prem is fine...he's CEO...there is always going to be a small group of disgruntled shareholders.  Buffett even usually gets the most against him too.

But it's almost a 50/50 split on subordinate voting for Bill...I've never seen that before!

Cheers!

I did some digging on Weldon. Looks like he was at the center of plenty of controversy when he was at JNJ.

image.thumb.jpeg.439a68443fc5bfac8c960ae1891979f2.jpeg

I was just looking at their reserve triangles and it seems they are reporting a number of years of adverse developments (gross undiscounted calendar numbers). I've attached 2022's and 2023's triangle. Just wondering if someone can provide me so insight and whether this is something to watch more carefully (percentage-wise it doesn't seem to be very large relative to their policy liabilities)

image.thumb.png.7fcf1a99ce028eae30e8448d29ff9723.png

image.thumb.png.496a4f0366719f591a7fa15af1a6b61d.png

Edited by jfan

2 hours ago, Tommm50 said:

Looks to me like they"re flat or down each year. They have favorable development every year but one, by $200k.

Can you elaborate, especially concerning trends including what is referenced to by @jfan, from 2022 to 2023 calendar years?

22 hours ago, jfan said:

I was just looking at their reserve triangles and it seems they are reporting a number of years of adverse developments (gross undiscounted calendar numbers). I've attached 2022's and 2023's triangle. Just wondering if someone can provide me so insight and whether this is something to watch more carefully (percentage-wise it doesn't seem to be very large relative to their policy liabilities)

image.thumb.png.7fcf1a99ce028eae30e8448d29ff9723.png

image.thumb.png.496a4f0366719f591a7fa15af1a6b61d.png

@jfan

Your line of questioning is quite reasonable and, since there's not much action here, i will give it a shot (btw thank you for the crypto links that you had provided after i asked a question or two in that thread).

-----

Disclosure: i have no formal training in reserve triangles but it is a fascinating topic and a relevant one for FFH and when an adolescent, i was told that i had what it took to become an actuary, an avenue not considered for various reasons including the deep desire to reach financial independence as soon as possible.

-----

-If FFH wants to reach the 15% ROE goal, a key input is the underwriting return over the complete cycle.

-Historically, despite many rational attempts to deal with this, there is the underwriting cycle and the associated (and correlated) reserve cycle that happens with a lag.

-When looking at triangles such as the ones included above, one has to remember that what happens (recognition of inaccurate reserves) in an older year will work like a domino and change all the reported numbers for the subsequent years. So looking at trends is important.

-----

Tentative conclusions

-Like the overall P+C (re)insurance market, FFH's numbers (and present trends revealing how wrong previously reported numbers were) reveal that the 2018 and 2019 (+ or - 2020 or even 2021) were written in quite a soft market and eventually recognized reserves have become more than the initially recognized objective for profit.

-While it is impossible to be precise, FFH continues to report overall positive net favorable development which means that the adverse development from softer and older years are more than being compensated by favorable from harder and more recent years.

-While it is impossible to be precise, FFH appears to have done better than the market in general as a result (combination of skill and luck; likely more skill than luck) of 1-focus on more specialized lines, 2-opportunistic growth ++ during hardening and maybe/likely of 3-better underwriting discipline.

-To specifically answer your question (needs to be watched carefully?), FFH has shown for some years the nonspecific strategy to be simply conservative in their reserving overall (choose the conservative side in the range given). Also, the poor years are now quite some time away and more than their typical reserve duration of around 3.8 years. In addition, if history is any guide, the more recent and significant growth in reserves during a hard market should continue to compensate and more for the net favorable development.

-Now, it's always possible that the underwriting culture has deteriorated and this may take years to figure out but i would offer a fairly substantiated opinion that this is quite unlikely.

If interested for more granular info at subsidiaries, look at the supplemental info:

FFH - Annual Financial Supplement (2023 Q4) (fairfax.ca)

OdysseyRe continues to be a star performer.

The reserve triangles show current reserves for each calendar year are less than the original reserves put up that year except 2018.  JFan may be referring to the penultimate (I don't often get to use that word) line which shows negative development for several years. This is the current calendar year's change for those prior year's reserves. These years are relatively young and I kinda expect younger years to show increased reserves as they mature. To me the more important comparisons are the what are current reserves for that year vs the initial reserves. By this metric only 2018 shows a modest deterioration.

If several years start to show current reserves are more than the initial reserves then that bears watching. Loss reserving has always been the Achilles Heel of P&C insurance companies. You've got to estimate your products cost when you won't know the actual cost for 5 or more years down the road. If you find out you're wrong at the end of that time you not only lose money for that year but possibly for all the intervening years you've made the same mistake.

An average insurance company may get some years right and some years wrong but as long as it averages out they continue merrily on their way as they also collect investment income on those reserves. A company that is conservative in their reserving will get all or almost all years where their initial reserves are more than their ultimate payouts. Like Fairfax.

What do board members think… Do we collectively have a good handle on Fairfax today? How about the more general investment community? Or, in another 12 months will we look back and say… ‘boy, was i ever off in my analysis of the company.’ Just like what has happened in each of the past 4 years. 

image.thumb.png.83373aa193f2ec685fc13f1c2d719b46.png

—————

Fairfax - 4 Years Later - Are We Really Any Smarter?

Fairfax’s stock has compounded at 40.1% for each of the last 4 years. Lots of investors missed participating in the run-up of the stock because they misunderstood and mis-judged the company. 

Fast forward to today. Most investors think they have a much better understanding of Fairfax and the opportunity it currently presents. 

I am not so sure. I think Fairfax remains a misunderstood company. And that is because:

• The fundamentals at Fairfax have been improving at a faster rate than investors generally understand or recognize.
  • Driven by the reinvestment of $4 billion in annual earnings, profit growth over the next couple of years will likely exceed investors expectations.

So investors continue to materially underestimate the potential of the company and the growing earnings it will be able to generate in the coming years. 

—————

At the 15th Annual Fairfax Financial Shareholders Dinner on Wed April 10 there were a number of different events. One event was a Q&A on Fairfax moderated by Trevor (Tidefall Capital) with 2 panelists: me and Asheef @SafetyinNumbers

Below are my opening comments:

I want to start by saying thanks to Rob and the rest of the people involved for getting this event organized on short notice. It is a real privilege for me to be here.

I also want to give thanks to the board members of the investing forum ‘Corner of Berkshire and Fairfax’. Much of what I have written on Fairfax over the past 3 years was inspired and augmented by members on this investing forum.  A special thanks to Tarn for making the trip all the way from Australia.

Thanks to Asheef and Trevor for joining me for this session.

A quick message from the legal department

Nothing discussed tonight is intended to be financial advice. It is intended to educate and entertain. Consult your financial advisor before buying any stocks. 

————

OK, let’s get at why we are all here… to discuss that scrappy, unloved, misunderstood P/C insurance company called Fairfax Financial. Yes, make no mistake, it is still unloved and misunderstood.

————

Let’s start with a quick review of a few things. 

Over the past 4 years Fairfax’s stock has delivered a total return of 286%. 

That is a 4 year CAGR of 40.1%.

How does that compare to the market averages? 

• The S&P500 is up a total of 89%.
  • The TSX is up a total of 60%.

Bottom line, over the past 4 years Fairfax’s absolute and relative return has been outstanding.

Ok, with a show of hands… 4 years ago, who in this room saw Fairfax delivering a CAGR of 40% per year over the following 4 years? Don’t be shy… 

No one. (No one in the room raised their hand.)

That, I think, is super interesting.

—————

Let’s fast forward to today. We are all so much smarter now when it comes to understanding Fairfax. Right? 

Me? I am not so sure. 

—————

So where are we at with Fairfax today? That’s what everyone here really wants to know.

The stock is up 286% over the past 4 years… so it must be overvalued today… right? 

What’s the problem with this ‘analysis’? Well, it’s not actually ‘analysis’. The fact that Fairfax is up 286% tells us very little about the current valuation of the stock. 

And that is because price, on its own, is a terrible way to value a stock.  

—————

Ok. So what measures should we use to value Fairfax?

Let’s look at two simple ones: PE and P/BV

Fairfax’s:

• PE is under 7 x my estimate of normalized earnings, which is about  $160/share
  • P/BV is 1.1 x my estimate of book value at March 31, 2024

What do both of these two valuation measures tell us?

Fairfax’s stock is crazy cheap. Yes, even after a 286% increase over 4 years. That is nuts. 

—————

How is this possible?

First: Starting point matters. Fairfax was a hated stock in back in April of 2020. So Fairfax’s stock was much, much cheaper than any of us realized back in 2020. 

Second: Since 2018 the management team at Fairfax has been executing well. And since 2021 their execution has been exceptional. 

Here are 5 examples:

• Hard market in insurance. Over the past 4 years, net premiums written have increased from $13.3 billion to $22.9 billion or 73%. The CR has averaged 95.2%.
  • The purchase of total return swaps in late 2020/early2021 has so far delivered about $1.4 billion in investment gains.
  • The buyback of 2 million shares of Fairfax in December 2021 at $500/share. That is almost a 50% discount to current book value. And we know intrinsic value is much higher than book value.
  • Sale of the pet insurance business in 2022 - which delivered a $1 billion after tax gain. This was like finding a pile of gold in your back yard - no one even knew they owned this business.
  • Active management of the average duration of the fixed income portfolio. The move to 1.2 years in late 2021 and then the pivot to more than 3 years in late 2023. The financial benefit to Fairfax from these two moves can be measured in the billions.

I’m just scratching the surface with these 5 examples. I could easily list another 10 examples of decisions made by Fairfax in recent years that have had a positive and meaningful impact on their financial results. 

Bottom line, the fundamentals at Fairfax have been not just getting better - they have been literally exploding higher. I have never seen anything like it in my 25 years of investing.

As Peter Lynch would say ‘The story just keeps getting better’. But kind of on steroids.

—————

Let’s try and summarize things:

Where are we at with Fairfax today? 

The stock trading at a crazy cheap valuation.

Fairfax has three of economic engines:

• Insurance
  • investments - fixed income
  • Investments - equities

All three are performing at a high level at the same time - for the first time in the company’s history.

As a result, Fairfax is poised to generate historically high earnings of $4 billion (more?) in each of the next 3 years. It should also deliver an average ROE of about 15%.

The management team is best-in-class. When it comes to capital allocation, in Buffett’s words, the management team at Fairfax is hitting the ball like Ted Williams. In Druckenmiller’s words, the management team at Fairfax is on a hot streak. 

This highly performing team is about to get $12 billion in earnings over the next 3 years. Think of the value creation that is coming.

—————

OK. So after all that… What is an investor to do?

If you don’t know the answer to this question… well, you might want to stick to investing in index funds. 

Edited by Viking