GEICO Auto renewal Premium Jump

Grenville

26 minutes ago, Blugolds11 said:

Currently a Gieco customer, but am looking at Costco auto ins offers, seems like its about half the cost or so, anybody have any experience with Costco Ins offerings? 

https://www.costco.com/auto-home-insurance-services.html

We have been with Costco insurance for almost 2 decades. I haven’t checked in the last few years but before that no other company (Geico, Progressive, Farmers, State Farm etc) could match their rates. 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, CorpRaider said:

I switched to progressive from GEICO.  It was much cheaper.  I should check Costco.

I literally just did the same thing 2 days ago, was meaning to post also and yours reminded me. 

Cut my premium IN HALF for 3 vehicles. I was expecting maybe 20-30% difference, and i was lazy about shopping but the latest renewal ticked me off and it was time to go. I have been a GIECO customer for at least a Decade, never had a claim other than when a Semi plowed into me and it was their fault, their insurance. I signed up for GIECO at a shareholder meeting as well as my then girlfriend, now wife. 

I actually felt a little guilt leaving LOL, I can still remember clearly the booth and signing up. At the end of the day it just didn’t make sense. Still a very long BRKA.B shareholder but no longer a GIECO customer.

They gotta' be getting their ass absolutely kicked, I'm a great risk.  And that's with no "telematics."  I tried the GEICO app but it was constantly pinging and killing my battery and data.  I didn't even sign up for the progressive one and it was still less than half.  I don't buy my paint from Benajmin Moore anymore either because the franchisees went extinct around me and there are 5 Sherwin's within 5 miles of my house.

Edited by CorpRaider

37 minutes ago, CorpRaider said:

They gotta' be getting their ass absolutely kicked, I'm a great risk.  And that's with no "telematics."  I tried the GEICO app but it was constantly pinging and killing my battery and data.  I didn't even sign up for the progressive one and it was still less than half.  I don't buy my paint from Benajmin Moore anymore either because the franchisees went extinct around me and there are 5 Sherwin's within 5 miles of my house.

I moved away from GEICO years ago as and independent broker (AJG) was able to source a much cheaper and better policy for me. For paint, I've switch from Benjamin Moore to Sherwin Williams and now to BEHR at HD. The service is not as good as SW, but the Marquee paint is far superior to SW Super Paint which is about the same price during a SW 40% off sale.  Marquee is the only paint I've used that covers in two coats every time and you can really scrub scuffs/marker/crayon out of it and not impact the finish. 

3 minutes ago, Ross812 said:

I moved away from GEICO years ago as and independent broker (AJG) was able to source a much cheaper and better policy for me. For paint, I've switch from Benjamin Moore to Sherwin Williams and now to BEHR at HD. The service is not as good as SW, but the Marquee paint is far superior to SW Super Paint which is about the same price during a SW 40% off sale.  Marquee is the only paint I've used that covers in two coats every time and you can really scrub scuffs/marker/crayon out of it and not impact the finish. 

GEICO has never been price competitive for me and my family (no accidents, tickets or claims).  As a BRK shareholder, that was never a concern because we live in a high-risk area.  But recent GEICO results have been a head-scratcher for sure.    

27 minutes ago, Ross812 said:

I started messing around with Goosehead to get a quote one time, but didn't follow through.  I was mostly curious about the business back when it showed up on Akre's Form 13 (back when he was still running it).  I should shop both my homeowners and auto every once in a while. 

Edited by CorpRaider

I went from Geico to Allstate (because Geico was raising rates excessively every year), then to Amica (because Allstate started doing the same, with no reason).

I've been with Amica for 3 years. Beyond the fact that they are famous for their customer satisfaction (it was a pleasure to move my auto and umbrella policies over), and are member-owned, I am paying maybe 10% more now, which is completely reasonable.

I am just fed up with insurance companies with bait and switch tactics (most of them). I know that, at Allstate, the agents were incentivized to get new clients, and not keep old ones. And it showed.

Edited by Irv72

I moved to Geico from Country Financial , they were cheaper than Progressive / State Farm for me. It seems like we have to keep shopping periodically to prevent huge raises in the insurance premium

Erie Insurance is great if you're in the below states. I had my truck totaled last November and had nothing but a good experience with Erie. They got me a price in a week, I asked for a bit more, they agreed and wrote a check a few days later. My premiums went up $0 dollars including after getting a replacement vehicle which was newer. Another guy who was also a victim in the accident was in contact with me and State Farm(his coverage) barely had the ball rolling for him before I got my check. 

Illinois

Indiana

Kentucky

Maryland

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Pennsylvania

Tennessee

Virginia

Washington, D.C.

West Virginia

Wisconsin

• 3 weeks later...

Erie seems promising. I got a quote for my car since I am in the process of moving and they were cheaper than my current insurance even with the discounts I get from bundling.

They do have a good reputation for service and claim as well.

I do agree you need to shop is insurance every couple of years, as rate creep kicks in. Some brokers will do it for you but other tend to be happy to sit on their ass too and claim that they can’t get a better rate, so from time to time, you need check in with different brokers as well.

Erie has catapulted into my 3rd largest holding as of recent.  I insure with them but that's because I go through my best friend and partner in crime who persuaded me to buy the stock some time in the 2010 era as he sells a lot of insurance through them.  Erie was the largest stock purchase I'd ever made until Greg changed my mind on Joe a couple of years ago in the $35 range.  

• 3 weeks later...

Had to shop for insurance since I moved and my old is insurance co was raking me over raising rates again. Guess what, I got a quote from Erie that was less than half my current car insurance with the same coverage.

There was no bait and switch either the quote was super easy to obtain. I highly recommend to shop insurance with Erie, if you are in one of the states where they operate.