Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

Posted (edited)

The Overland Track in Tasmania, South to North (Lake St Clair - Cradle Mountain).  This is one of Australia’s best known thru hikes.  First time I have done it in Winter but turned out to be the best weather conditions I have had out of my 5 crossings.  A little cloud day 1 then bluebird for the next four days.  Go figure.

IMG_3815.thumb.jpeg.3b721ee5f5d5ce5b1dbf189afa224231.jpeg

IMG_4593.jpeg

IMG_4348.jpeg

Edited by nwoodman

• 4 weeks later...

Club med!!!  Highly recommend it for families with active children who want a week off 🙂  No dishes, no cooking and cleaning, lots of entertainment and fun active stuff to do.  Or just laze at the beach 🙂 

6 hours ago, bargainman said:

Club med!!!  Highly recommend it for families with active children who want a week off 🙂  No dishes, no cooking and cleaning, lots of entertainment and fun active stuff to do.  Or just laze at the beach 🙂 

Whoa are you me? We booked club med in Mexico for Thanksgiving. We got 2 kiddos under 3 and all inclusive was huge appeal. Extra stuff for kids was a cherry on top. 

Just got back from a family RV trip to Charlevioux QC. Man what a joyful trip! The scenery is amazing and Quebec food really is good in a homestyle way. We hit 3 national parks and one Marine park. The RV was a fun thing to do and beat the hell out of our usual Coleman tent. The mountains and rivers have a much more human size and feel compared to the Rockies. We biked, hiked, white water rafted, dune sledded, combed the ocean floor at low tide, bathed in waterfalls plus many other physical activities.

My son and I wanted to try fly fishing but apparently you cant rent the equipment so it was buy cheap shit and wing it or save the idea for another time when more prepared.

My daughter saw her first real impressive shooting star while her and I were laying on the ground staring up at the milky way. We went whale watching and had the show of a lifetime as a humback jumped out of the water 6 times less that 100 feet away, one was real close and the captain had to reverse the zodiac pretty abruptly to mind the regulations for proximity.

I love travelling to other countries but Canada in the summer is very tough to beat. 

46 minutes ago, Jaygo said:

My son and I wanted to try fly fishing but apparently you cant rent the equipment so it was buy cheap shit and wing it or save the idea for another time when more prepared.

I still use a $100 4weight rod and reel combo! Half the fun is getting out there...actually more than half the fun considering I am not a great angler. Plus there's a learning curve so better gear isn't really going to make a difference at this stage. Orvis has some great articles and videos on their website/youtube. Have fun! East coast fly fishing is the best 🙂

We are home now to concrete and honking horns. Another few days on the river would be so nice. We are definitely going to prepare for it next time. And yeah we had a great time just standing in the river currents anyway. Fish or no fish

I read A river runs through it last summer and totally forgot about the idea when planning this little trip.

Went back to Portugal after two years. This time with my elder parents and sister’ family. Great family trip. 

Did two weeks. I enjoyed the massive Portuguese fort complex in Elvas in the east, overlooking the Spanish border. Not many North Americans go there I think.  

A few years ago I did a road trip in Portugal, just randomly driving inland with the intention to cross over to Spain. Entering Elvas through one of the arches of the aqueduct was a WOW moment, it was totally unexpected to see such architecture there.

IMG_7847.thumb.jpeg.8de3ec052869f17ccbd3e72f61d6f5dc.jpeg

1 hour ago, backtothebeach said:

A few years ago I did a road trip in Portugal, just randomly driving inland with the intention to cross over to Spain. Entering Elvas through one of the arches of the aqueduct was a WOW moment, it was totally unexpected to see such architecture there.

IMG_7847.thumb.jpeg.8de3ec052869f17ccbd3e72f61d6f5dc.jpeg

we drove there in 35 C degree temperature just to see it. I like to chase fortresses. 

It is impressive. A walled city, north of it is there is the star-shaped Fort da Graca and south of it there is another one. I only saw the northern one and the walled city. Way too late to get to see the other one before evening closure time.  

the massive aqueducts are west in the picture below. The ones you saw. 

IMG_1799.thumb.jpeg.a87c59ed6a02cbb2c21032e67e6bb0b7.jpeg

On 7/29/2024 at 5:53 PM, lnofeisone said:

Whoa are you me? We booked club med in Mexico for Thanksgiving. We got 2 kiddos under 3 and all inclusive was huge appeal. Extra stuff for kids was a cherry on top. 

Awesome!  Hope you have a great time.  Have you been before?  West coast or east coast?

16 hours ago, bargainman said:

Awesome!  Hope you have a great time.  Have you been before?  West coast or east coast?

We are staying in Cancun, so east coast. We went to a destination wedding there and really liked the ease of doing things. Also the Xcaret park is right there so extra bonus to keep kids entertained. 

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone has any first hand experience travelling to India in December. 

Was suppose to head to Indonesia in November. Running very short on time and it may not be worth risking the rainy season in November. So might as well go in December. 

So looking at India. West coast of it. Assuming there is no concern with Visa. 

i found this link below as a good guide. Naturally I don’t have months. Just 2-3 weeks as a corporate slave. 

Would have liked Leh near Kashmir for hiking, but not too crazy given winter. 

the guide suggest to start off Mumbai working counter clockwise. Goa is of huge interest to me, given its Portuguese background. 

IMG_1987.thumb.jpeg.20eff8e2c39fa3c66fc5e17c75499f07.jpeg 

https://www.quora.com/I-am-thinking-of-visiting-India-What-cities-should-I-visit-in-order-to-have-the-most-fulfilling-trip

15 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

Was suppose to head to Indonesia in November. Running very short on time and it may not be worth risking the rainy season in November. So might as well go in December. 

i found this link below as a good guide. Naturally I don’t have months. Just 2-3 weeks as a corporate slave. 

the guide suggest to start off Mumbai working counter clockwise. Goa is of huge interest to me, given its Portuguese background. 

https://www.quora.com/I-am-thinking-of-visiting-India-What-cities-should-I-visit-in-order-to-have-the-most-fulfilling-trip

Last time i went was Dec 2016 and typically have only ever been in Dec. Nice time to visit IMO. Not boiling and no rain. Might actually be a bit cold in the north. 

Don't think you should have an issue with Visa.

I've enjoyed Rajasthan and would recommend visiting there.

Last time i went to Goa was when i was a kid, remember it just being beaches but prob missing something there.

We went to Rishikesh in 2016 to spread my dad's ashes. Not sure i would go back but was an intersting place. Big yoga/spiritual scene if you're into that stuff.

Mumbai is a whirlwind lots of great food.

I'm actually going this dec/jan with my young kids and Father in Law (it's on his bucket list to get a pic with the Taj Mahal!). Delhi/Rajasthan/Gujrat/Mumbai.

5 hours ago, hasilp89 said:

I'm actually going this dec/jan with my young kids and Father in Law (it's on his bucket list to get a pic with the Taj Mahal!). Delhi/Rajasthan/Gujrat/Mumbai.

that is amazing. Got to help him to get that done

1 hour ago, Xerxes said:

that is amazing. Got to help him to get that done

Haha, I’ve been hesitant but I’m excited. He’s 72 and finally retiring in December from working his tail off as a doctor for many many years. Loves to travel but wouldn’t go to India solo.Having the Indian son in law helps! I told him he could head back after the touristy stuff but he insisted on coming to the village in gujrat where my 90 something grandma still lives to pay his respects😃.
Bringing a 2 and 4 year old on the other hand….. (actually if anyone has some tips for this please share, have done North American domestic trips with them, but never something big like this!))

1 minute ago, hasilp89 said:

Bringing a 2 and 4 year old on the other hand….. (actually if anyone has some tips for this please share, have done North American domestic trips with them, but never something big like this!))

I travel with my young children all the time. The biggest things id recommend:

1.  Pack light. luggage sucks especially when you have to drag the kids around too. Make sure they have a little backpack for kid shit so yours doesn't get filled with stuffed animals and sticky objects.

2. Dont bring a bunch of activities, waste of space. Just buy a shiny object and toss it when they get bored. Rinse, repeat

3. Do bring kids Tylenol, Benadryl, Diarrhea meds and diapers. Very hard to find sometimes.

4. Pack a patience. Kids and old people are slow as hell. Get your mosey on and try not to loose your mind.

5. Buy sugar free snacks and keep them on you all the time. Its amazing how it will occupy them while you tend to travel related issues that need a focused attention.

6. It may seem silly and kind of messed up but consider a leash. We hiked some cliff side trails in Arizona and Utah and honestly the little springy leash on my son was a literal life saver. It goes from your wrist to their backpack or their wrist. 

I could see it coming in handy on busy streets with lots of traffic in India 

1 hour ago, hasilp89 said:

Thanks for the tips @jaygo

Me and my sister took our 84 year old father to Portugal. He tends to walk off, and prone to keep disappearing in crowded areas. 

We considered getting one of those Apple tracker that we can attach to his clothes or wrist. So this way, we won’t lose him in a crowded space. Finally didn’t do it as we forgot. 

But those trackers are pretty handy. 

And lastly have someone (an appointed dictator), in charge of all the passports. Day and night. With constant vigilance. 

Medical insurance for the elders. Etc. not to forget.  

Edited by Xerxes

@hasilp89 - water, formula, wipes, diapers, diaper rash cream, booster seat, changing pads, insect repellent and a light stroller.  We would just take Costco/kirkland package so we didn't run out (water is easily available).  Most if not all of these are available in India but in some places not that easily.  Strollers are a pain to navigate as space is limited.  Our toddlers had a blast as first time with livestock and the sheer number of people.  As Jaygo, mentioned pack some meds and a thermometer.  December is cooler but never know.  I grew up in Mumbai so am partial to it but Agra, Delhi and Rajasthan should keep you all busy.  Depending on where you are in gujarat, do go to a resataurant where they serve gujarati thalis (brazilian bbq style). Mumbai has those places as well.  Food may be spicy even if you say no spice esp. in Rajasthan.  Have fun.

Good tips for travel with kids already, we have traveled multiple times with our twin boys 16mo, basics already covered above, plenty of diapers, wipes, snacks, pacifiers in diaper bag for easy access. Your kids are older so it may not all apply, might be "easier" for you as they are communicating. 

As for travel in airport etc. We had small strollers that folded, one for each kid. What we found to be a lifesaver were backpacks! Walking around airport we put the boys in backpacks, we both wore a kid. Small strollers we used as luggage carriers and it frees up both hands and you dont have to keep tabs on the kids. When we got to the gate, we had large bags (like hockey bags) that packed into the backpacks lower compartment, at the gate, the backpack and stroller folded up and went into the gate check bag, drop them at the entrance of the plane and the plane throws them in the belly, when you get off the plane they are there waiting for you, grab them and as soon as we got back to the boarding area we unpacked them, kids back in backpacks, strollers out for carrying stuff etc. 

The only way I could figure out movement with kids as well as rolling luggage etc without a monster cart. It worked really well. 

Only other challenge was the actual flights, and as stated above, plenty of distractions worked for us. A variety of snacks, we went to the dollar store and bought about $20 worth of cheap trinkets and sticker books that they had never seen before and would give them one when they started getting fussy, then when they got bored, we would switch them out. Helped a lot. Empty water bottles for the kids and fill them at the airport or when walking around at destination. 

4yr old might be a little big for a backpack, but 2yr old would work, technically I think they do work for 4yr old depending on size. They have been a lifesaver because the kids are super chill in them, it frees you up to do whatever you need to do without keeping tabs on them and gives you both hands etc. 

We usually buy diapers/wipes etc at destination, dont know availability in the area that you will be traveling but what we found was that when traveling you either pay to pack everything and check what you need or pay to buy new when you get there and use what  you need and leave the rest, we found it easier to pack and travel with less, buy what we need when we get there and leave what we dont use, didnt waste much and made everything significantly easier. Just something to consider. 

Also the tip on one person responsible for passports was good. The wife loses literally everything constantly so Im that guy. When I travel internationally I have an inside pocket or money belt type thing that holds a credit card and passports, its always on me close so that if a bag is stolen or lost or any other possible issue, we still have money and a way to get home without hassle, the rest I really dont care about and would be a minor inconvenience, but not having $ or passports turns a minor inconvenience into a nightmare. 

On 8/29/2024 at 10:20 PM, Xerxes said:

I do not know much about December (except that it might be chilly in the North?) since I was traveling in March-April myself and it was already like +40 some days:), but this looks like a wondeful plan. I get some nice feelings and excitement by just looking to your map:). I think all of these places you marked are great. I also liked north and Rishikesh (we did some nice rafting in the start of Ganges here), but also maybe less well known places, like Hampi (not marked, but it is not far from Goa of Bengaluru, not crowdy). Also, if by any chance you will visit Kochi in Kerala, I think there is original burial place of Vasco da Gama here (though nothing perhaps special to see, except the fact:)). It was quite a long time ago now, but still nothing beats traveling in India for me:)

My dream and number one destination for a serious travel on the list is to travel throughout US similarlly sometime in the future:)

Edited by UK

We will travel to South Africa in October. 🙂

East London, Jeffrey´s Bay, Addo Elephant Parc, Tsitsikama National Park etc.

My wife and our 6-year old sons. 

Pretty enthusiastic about it. 🙂

Edited by Charlie

On 8/5/2024 at 9:59 AM, lnofeisone said:

We are staying in Cancun, so east coast. We went to a destination wedding there and really liked the ease of doing things. Also the Xcaret park is right there so extra bonus to keep kids entertained. 

We are in Barcelo Maya resort now.  Weather and water is pretty decent. 

12 hours ago, UK said:

I do not know much about December (except that it might be chilly in the North?) since I was traveling in March-April myself and it was already like +40 some days:), but this looks like a wondeful plan. I get some nice feelings and excitement by just looking to your map:). I think all of these places you marked are great. I also liked north and Rishikesh (we did some nice rafting in the start of Ganges here), but also maybe less well known places, like Hampi (not marked, but it is not far from Goa of Bengaluru, not crowdy). Also, if by any chance you will visit Kochi in Kerala, I think there is original burial place of Vasco da Gama here (though nothing perhaps special to see, except the fact:)). It was quite a long time ago now, but still nothing beats traveling in India for me:)

My dream and number one destination for a serious travel on the list is to travel throughout US similarlly sometime in the future:)

thank you 

the map is not mine though. I copy pasted from a guide. 

thanks for the tip about Vasco da Gama. I recall in 2006 I was searching for the burial place of Tokugawa Shogun in Tokyo. There it was. Just a tomb. Nothing special, but just the fact. 

my focus will be on the west coast and will probably skip Delhi.