Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

Just got back from 10 day spring break trip to Japan.  7 days in Tokyo and 3 in Kyoto.  First time there and it was -phenomenal.  Cherry blossoms just blooming.  Went to a baseball game (Giants), did the bullet train, went to a Samarai class, a tea ceremony, the Tokyo fish market, visited temples of both the religious and shopping types.  Food was fantastic.  Everything from street food to fancy restaurants.  Ramen to waygu beef.

I was worried the kids would be bored.  Nope.  And get this, after 14 hours of travel, we get off the airport train in Shibuya and my teenage son goes "I left my phone on the train".  This is the biggest city in the world.  Using Google Translate at the hotel we told them what happened.  2 days later they call us down and say that the phone is being held at lost and found at the central station!!!! They even charged it for us.  Anywhere else that would have been sold for parts in 5 minutes.  Not Japan.

And with the Yen at 130 it was shockingly cheap!  For 4 people including drinks I struggled to spend over $120 for dinner.  In Tokyo! 

Will definitely be back.  

We probably crossed paths. I've been here for around a month. Kyoto was the most crowded I've ever seen it, was almost not enjoyable. I'm up north now and away from the tourist hoards. Granted not much english being spoken but make due. Glad you had a good time, it's my favorite country in the world. 

7 hours ago, maxthetrade said:

I spent the last two weeks with a couple of friends in Tuscany, certainly one of the most beautiful places on earth and great food & wine of course🤩

Max, I'm incredibly jealous!  Looks like an amazing 2 weeks.  Cheers!

We've done a lot of travel this year, Switzerland, Cuba, Egypt so far, much to the detriment of my Portfolio...can't take it with you I guess. Headed to Thailand in May, 9 Days Phuket, 4 Bangkok

Edited by rossef2

11 hours ago, Parsad said:

Max, I'm incredibly jealous!  Looks like an amazing 2 weeks.  Cheers!

Nothing beets spending some quality time with good friends! Tuscany is fantastic, it was my third visit but my first in spring. Parsad, if you get the chance to go there just do it, you won't regret! 

14 minutes ago, Vish_ram said:

If you like hiking mountains, then Patagonia (Chile) is just amazing. 

Yes, some of the pictures you take will look photoshopped.  Just beautiful. 

If you like outdoor adventure stuff, Pucon Chile is like Interlaken Switzerland. We went on a day long hike to the top of an active volcano there. 

Highly recommend Chiloe Island too.  It's the farthest north you can go and still see every type of penguin. There are several companies that take you people out on zodiac boats every 20 minutes or so to the see their nests.  Lot's of wooden Unesco churches and houses on stilts too.  

1 hour ago, Vish_ram said:

The real trip & the most profound is tripping on Ayahuasca in Iquitos Peru!!  

My psychedelics days are on hold until my kids grow up. Then you can sign me up for sure.

I love cool weather hiking and a good trip. 

we spent all of March in Spain. Went everywhere. Imo one of the best all around countries in the world. 

beaches, weather , affordability, safety, mountains, infrastructure, architecture, friendliness to tourists, historic preservations and food and culture are all among the best. Maybe not the top in any but highest average ranking of anywhere I’ve been. 

16 hours ago, rossef2 said:

We've done a lot of travel this year, Switzerland, Cuba, Egypt so far, much to the detriment of my Portfolio...can't take it with you I guess. Headed to Thailand in May, 9 Days Phuket, 4 Bangkok

Very eclectic set of destinations...like a bucket list of places to hit.  Have a great time!  Cheers! 

6 hours ago, maxthetrade said:

Nothing beets spending some quality time with good friends! Tuscany is fantastic, it was my third visit but my first in spring. Parsad, if you get the chance to go there just do it, you won't regret! 

I would like to spend a month at a time in Europe over the next 10 years.  I'm planning a trip to see England, Scotland and Ireland in September...my first trip to Europe!  Cheers!

3 hours ago, Jaygo said:

My psychedelics days are on hold until my kids grow up. Then you can sign me up for sure.

I love cool weather hiking and a good trip. 

we spent all of March in Spain. Went everywhere. Imo one of the best all around countries in the world. 

beaches, weather , affordability, safety, mountains, infrastructure, architecture, friendliness to tourists, historic preservations and food and culture are all among the best. Maybe not the top in any but highest average ranking of anywhere I’ve been. 

A lot of people are saying that now.  Everyone I know has told me to go to Spain first instead of the UK.  Especially more remote towns and beaches.

Cheers!

9 hours ago, Parsad said:

Very eclectic set of destinations...like a bucket list of places to hit.  Have a great time!  Cheers! 

It definetly is, we've got a wee one now so visiting places we actually want to go will only get harder and harder. 

9 hours ago, Parsad said:

I would like to spend a month at a time in Europe over the next 10 years.  I'm planning a trip to see England, Scotland and Ireland in September...my first trip to Europe!  Cheers!

If you want any info on Scotland let me know, I'd advise going in May just to avoid the Midgies that appear from June onwards. Skye, Edinburgh, North Coast 500 route are all beautiful, you're enjoyment will 90% be correlated to how good the weather is.

Thinking of going to Switzerland by car for hiking, cycling and running somewhere in May, tips always welcome! Honestly so many amazing spots there that I can't see the forest for the trees anymore.

Went to Prague, London, Champagne area (Reims), Guatemala, Belize (and Washington DC) so far this year, so can't complain. Been terrible weather here so glad to escape it somewhat at least.

Thinking of doing the classical 3 week+ trip of West coast USA in June and maybe Japan later this year. 

You're only (relatively) young once I guess!

23 hours ago, Valuebo said:

Thinking of doing the classical 3 week+ trip of West coast USA in June and maybe Japan later this year. 

While the cities are young compared to driving the Amalfi Coast or something, I can tell you that driving the Pacific Coast Highway between Portland and San Diego is one of the most beautiful drives in the world, with ever changing coast lines and terrain.  I've done this trip 4 times in my life and I would be happy to do it several more times!  Cheers!

8 hours ago, Parsad said:

While the cities are young compared to driving the Amalfi Coast or something, I can tell you that driving the Pacific Coast Highway between Portland and San Diego is one of the most beautiful drives in the world, with ever changing coast lines and terrain.  I've done this trip 4 times in my life and I would be happy to do it several more times!  Cheers!

Yes one of the great drives in the world. I did LA to Wakonda beach when I was 21. Hwy 1 is pretty epic.

I'd throw in the icefields parkway and the cabot trail too for awesome drives.

On 4/13/2023 at 8:58 PM, dwy000 said:

Just got back from 10 day spring break trip to Japan.  7 days in Tokyo and 3 in Kyoto.  First time there and it was -phenomenal.  Cherry blossoms just blooming.  Went to a baseball game (Giants), did the bullet train, went to a Samarai class, a tea ceremony, the Tokyo fish market, visited temples of both the religious and shopping types.  Food was fantastic.  Everything from street food to fancy restaurants.  Ramen to waygu beef.

I was worried the kids would be bored.  Nope.  And get this, after 14 hours of travel, we get off the airport train in Shibuya and my teenage son goes "I left my phone on the train".  This is the biggest city in the world.  Using Google Translate at the hotel we told them what happened.  2 days later they call us down and say that the phone is being held at lost and found at the central station!!!! They even charged it for us.  Anywhere else that would have been sold for parts in 5 minutes.  Not Japan.

And with the Yen at 130 it was shockingly cheap!  For 4 people including drinks I struggled to spend over $120 for dinner.  In Tokyo! 

Will definitely be back.  

i should be there next week. 
4 night tokyo

3 nights in Kyoto

3 nights in Hiroshima 

couple of days unallocated. 

let me know if there was a specific restaurant that is not to be missed 

On 4/17/2023 at 2:07 AM, Parsad said:

I’ll be doing the southern half of this trip later this month.

On 4/16/2023 at 5:53 AM, Valuebo said:

Thinking of going to Switzerland by car for hiking, cycling and running somewhere in May, tips always welcome! Honestly so many amazing spots there that I can't see the forest for the trees anymore.

Went to Prague, London, Champagne area (Reims), Guatemala, Belize (and Washington DC) so far this year, so can't complain. Been terrible weather here so glad to escape it somewhat at least.

You're only (relatively) young once I guess!

Haute Route (10 days, ~120 miles) was an amazing hike. 

Some also like the Tour Du Mont Blanc 

Just completed Everest Base Camp and Island Peak in Nepal.  1000m of vert to get to Island Peak(6160m) was one of the most physically demanding days of my life.  So grateful to the Nepalese climbing guides for providing me the opportunity.  They are superstars.
IMG_5469.thumb.jpeg.9bf24a89c162bfc3e7697fe6970b73a5.jpeg

IMG_5649.jpeg

IMG_5475.jpeg

IMG_5207.jpeg

IMG_5251.jpeg

IMG_5491.dng

Edited by nwoodman
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, nwoodman said:

Just completed Everest Base Camp and Island Peak in Nepal.  1000m of vert to get to Island Peak(6160m) was one of the most physically demanding days of my life.  So grateful to the Nepalese climbing guides for providing me the opportunity.  They are superstars.

IMG_5649.jpeg

IMG_5475.jpeg

IMG_5207.jpeg

IMG_5251.jpeg

IMG_5491.dng 9.38 MB · 3 downloads

Wow!  Congratulations!

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2023 at 5:04 PM, nwoodman said:

IMG_5649.jpeg

IMG_5475.jpeg

IMG_5207.jpeg

IMG_5251.jpeg

IMG_5491.dng 9.38 MB · 3 downloads

Wow man absolutely stunning, i have been a silent observer of 8000er expeditions and consumer of hours over hours and books over books of content about this stuff. I dont think i am that good with heights unfortunately (going above 3200m at Skiing already gives me Stress even after few days of acclimatization) but i am happy for you to have been at these amazing mountains 🙂 How did you cope with the heights? How was the cold? Are you planning to do one of the smaller peaks at some time there?