Jump to content

Buffett Lunch Auction


Recommended Posts

People seem to like those incrementing number strings when bidding on this auction. IIRC in the past we've had 2,345,678; 3,456,789; and 4,567,888 so far. And now 12,345,678.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Think about it - this 1 year is going to represent over 30% of all $$ raised over the past 22 years.  What a blessing to the folks in San Fran!  

 

I'd suggest people on this site personally donate to Glide directly (you can give any amount) ... what a way to honor Mr. Buffett's last lunch!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19,000,100 is the final total. Looks like it was the same two bidders who chased it all the way up from 3 million to 19. What a great final auction for them.

 

There was a Livestream of an event held for the last hour of the auction if you want to learn more about glide, see some tributes to Warren, and see the final bids come in.

 

https://www.glide.org/celebrating-a-legacy-of-commitment/

Edited by aws
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

So around USD 19 M for a dinner with an almost 92 years old geriatric [one of the best of his age, that is, however]. Insane capital allocation.

 

$19M at this stage of the game is quite a bit...but it worked out well for Ted Weschler he paid about $5 million, landed a dream job making $1M a year(took a pay cut)...better than these kids spending $200k on a B.A. in Art History and working at Starbucks for $30k/yr. I would honestly pull a Buffett and offer services for free on a trial basis for the opportunity to work with/for someone that I admired and thought I had a lot to learn from. 

 

Also unsure if its one individual or a group...that $19M might be split up, can have up to 7 guests... thats $2.7M each...not "cheap" but lets me honest..if you've got the cash, how do you put a price on that...

 

More interesting to think of the percentage of someones net worth they would sacrifice to have dinner with a legend. 5%? 10%? 35? Its all relative. The same could be said about any of the "GOATS" in their respective specialties...

 

Would you pay to have dinner with Al Einstein? Michael Jordan? Ghandi? I would name a couple of former presidents but the irony of it is, you can contribute much less than $19M to a campaign and have dinner with future/past/present POTUS. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 7:48 AM, Blugolds11 said:

 

$19M at this stage of the game is quite a bit...but it worked out well for Ted Weschler he paid about $5 million, landed a dream job making $1M a year(took a pay cut)...better than these kids spending $200k on a B.A. in Art History and working at Starbucks for $30k/yr. I would honestly pull a Buffett and offer services for free on a trial basis for the opportunity to work with/for someone that I admired and thought I had a lot to learn from. 

 

Also unsure if its one individual or a group...that $19M might be split up, can have up to 7 guests... thats $2.7M each...not "cheap" but lets me honest..if you've got the cash, how do you put a price on that...

 

More interesting to think of the percentage of someones net worth they would sacrifice to have dinner with a legend. 5%? 10%? 35? Its all relative. The same could be said about any of the "GOATS" in their respective specialties...

 

Would you pay to have dinner with Al Einstein? Michael Jordan? Ghandi? I would name a couple of former presidents but the irony of it is, you can contribute much less than $19M to a campaign and have dinner with future/past/present POTUS. 

 

I believe Ted paid $5M for two lunches...so he got an even better bargain per lunch, plus the job!  🙂 

 

In terms of who I would pay to have dinner with...Einstein and Gandhi, yes...Jordan, no.  Would rather lunch with Steph Curry, Patrick Mahomes or Peyton Manning...they would be fun!  Would also pay to lunch with Roger Federer or Nadal.

 

I did buy a lunch and round of golf with Gretzky, but then the damn pandemic came and never got to enjoy it!  C'est la vie!

 

Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Parsad said:

 

I believe Ted paid $5M for two lunches...so he got an even better bargain per lunch, plus the job!  🙂 

 

In terms of who I would pay to have dinner with...Einstein and Gandhi, yes...Jordan, no.  Would rather lunch with Steph Curry, Patrick Mahomes or Peyton Manning...they would be fun!  Would also pay to lunch with Roger Federer or Nadal.

 

I did buy a lunch and round of golf with Gretzky, but then the damn pandemic came and never got to enjoy it!  C'est la vie!

 

Cheers!

Would be fund manager or is would want market himself to get the more funds to manage. It’s a marketing expense aka business expense/cost of doing business .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

A lunch with Albert Einstein would definitely be worth more than $5M, since he is dead for 67 years now.

 

 

Quite the opposite.  Since he's been dead for 67 years, you couldn't pay me $5M to have lunch with him.  Gross.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got to eat lunch with Neil Armstrong. He was on the Dean's advisory committee when I was an Assistant Dean back around 1992. I sat directly across at one of those rectangular tables. I also got to meet and talk briefly with him a few other times.  Extremely humble and gracious person.

 

At a reception after an NFF dinner, I essentially sat alone at a table with Len Dawson and spoke with him for about an hour. I think everyone else there was too young to know who he was.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, boilermaker75 said:

I got to eat lunch with Neil Armstrong. He was on the Dean's advisory committee when I was an Assistant Dean back around 1992. I sat directly across at one of those rectangular tables. I also got to meet and talk briefly with him a few other times.  Extremely humble and gracious person.

 

At a reception after an NFF dinner, I essentially sat alone at a table with Len Dawson and spoke with him for about an hour. I think everyone else there was too young to know who he was.

 

 

This Len Dawson?!

 

Just Because: Len Dawson enjoys a sweet cig during Super Bowl I -  CBSSports.com

 

It's like when Guy LaFleur would smoke in between periods for the Montreal Canadiens, and then go out and score a hat-trick!  Cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...