Jim Cramer stock calls

Spekulatius

• 9 months later...

I just think it should be obvious to everyone that this guess the short term stuff game is for suckers and inside of it are two types of people….

Leaches and scoundrels who don’t actually put money behind the stuff they’re spouting off about…basically analysts, tv personalities and subscription sellers…they make money because they finds an audience of idiots.

And those that do put money to work and the results often tell a different story than the one they often boast about. Of all the folks I’ve met in my life who fall into this bucket, maybe 10-15% are legit. Out of that 10-15%, probably 90% don’t really seek to make public what they do. 

1 hour ago, ValueArb said:

I don't know why you guys are so mean to Jim Cramer, he's getting better. After all, he's almost made it a whole year without recommending a company that immediately went bankrupt.

Cramer is generally optimistic on stocks - not always but mostly.  Bet he has made more money that those nearly always pessimistic.

Cramer is a complete idiot.  If you followed his advice you would be flat ass broke long time ago.   He is nothing but entertainment tv.  I would say at least 95% of what you see on CNBC is just entertainment and has no practical application to investing.

Edited by Gmthebeau

16 minutes ago, bargainman said:

https://www.thestreet.com/personalities/mad-money-jim-cramer-net-worth

sure he is.  He makes 5-12 million a year and is worth over 150 million.  Obviously an idiot.  Also went to harvard law school and wrote several best selling books.

agreed

my take is Cramer may or may not be a good “stock picker”. That is largely irrelevant. What he is good at is the “business of stock picking” and he has monetized that 

Angela and I watch Jim regularly because we can keep up on strictly business stuff, things that otherwise I'd be ignorant of and even more aged-out than I already am.  Its a delightful thing we enjoy quite a bit.  No we don't use it specifically as an investment choice model, but as information about the current happenings in publicly traded entities.  Over time I'll admit that I do find his interest and energy to be a good thing to model in life, I see the 95% other side of that with late 60's mental shutdowns and declines.  

The worst Cramer has done to anyone is cost them their time. Half hour or whatever those episodes run. There’s significantly worse actors out there, who charge monthly and yearly fees for their nonsense. 

Didnt “Wall Street Legend” Whitney Tilson sell his newsletter to a SPAC lol?

For Cramer to be successful in such a show as his he must operate in the short term business news cycle, the news that dominates all business media.  I enjoy hearing and reading this sort of thing but I almost never include any of such short term news as an input variable for investment decisions.

While I've done almost unbelievably well using published thoughts from several here on COBF as far as investment decisions (Spek, Parsad, Greg, Viking, etc) I find that only Greg (that I know of) thus far is on my timeline as to what determines what/how long to hold investments.  But this doesn't stop me from reading all of the board...except crypto which I simply have no interest in.  

7 hours ago, Gregmal said:

The worst Cramer has done to anyone is cost them their time. Half hour or whatever those episodes run. There’s significantly worse actors out there, who charge monthly and yearly fees for their nonsense. 

Didnt “Wall Street Legend” Whitney Tilson sell his newsletter to a SPAC lol?

Cramer is an entertainer, the topic just happens to be business and stocks. He is not stupid, but his customer don’t own any yachts, at least none bought with what they learned in his shows. Some CEO interviews can be worthwhile.

Wasn't Monish Pabria practically booed off CNBC over a decade ago when he refused to share what he was buying? My memory is that he didn't want to pump his positions and didn't think retail investors should buy random recommendations from talking heads, and all the other talking heads on that show were angrily offended.

If Cramer offered nothing but great investing advice he would have been canceled after a month.