Chamath

winjitsu

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a well-trod path to success for tech VCs over the past 20 years. Increase your profile online. By virtue of your influence, every investment you touch and pump has instant buzz (for an example, look at the latest fad - Clubhouse). This boosts user numbers and valuations. Pump, pump, pump, and then sell to your adoring followers.

Chamath is playing this to a T. I think he's obviously a smart guy, and I feel like if he's not aware of the damage his pumping is doing to the small investor, one day he will regret it. If he wants to address inequality, the way to do it isn't to lead novice investors into overhyped garbage like Virgin Galactic and pure speculations like Bitcoin.

Eric Schatzker is great--probably the best in the biz. His interviews with Nassim are quite good too. It takes skill for an interviewer to be able to tango with Taleb.

I'll have to check out the one with Taleb. I really enjoyed his recent interview with Grantham, and the interviews with Howard Marks are always full of gems.

Someone who tweeted about buying GME calls is no Buffett. That's why the comparison is laughable on face value, it's not because of "emotional baggage".

This

This play, which he only held for 1 day, was a 5x and more importantly helped him build goodwill with the next generation of investors. These are the investors who will be buying his holding company when it goes public. It was a smart business move that communicated to retail investors "I'm on your side."

Someone who tweeted about buying GME calls is no Buffett. That's why the comparison is laughable on face value, it's not because of "emotional baggage".

This

This play, which he only held for 1 day, was a 5x and more importantly helped him build goodwill with the next generation of investors. These are the investors who will be buying his holding company when it goes public. It was a smart business move that communicated to retail investors "I'm on your side."

I'm not sure "investors" is the right classifier for these people.

This

Step 1: establish credibility with the marks

Says Chamath fits nicely into Pabrai's new spawner approach, and wishes there was a way to invest in Chamath instead of each of Chamath's SPACs individually. Sounds like this might be possible within a couple of years.

I'd take the same trade too. Only points out the massive return asymmetry in the companies he's peddling. 

This

Well, your statement again highlights the contrast with Warren.

You know who didn't need to "build goodwill" with investors but could just build book value from capital allocation decisions and investors would come along based on actual returns? Buffett. Berkshire was very obscure in the early days.

This

Really?  Even Chamath wasn't thinking that far ahead or communicating that.

Either he'll disappear 10 years from now or he'll be huge.  There's no middle ground here with him.  We've seen these shows before...they go one way or the other.  Cheers!

This

Either he'll disappear 10 years from now or he'll be huge.  There's no middle ground here with him.  We've seen these shows before...they go one way or the other.  Cheers!

He was probably thinking ahead to getting them to buy his next SPAC.

This

Chamath literally asked his Twitter followers what he should buy next, and then plowed $100K into GME calls based on their feedback.

I think he is smart, hardworking but at time abrasive and in search of deciding who he is in this world. Just like Social Capital is going through different stages, so is he. He definitely looking in his own way after the retail with "All about retail" being his battle-cry. That is fair. That said the power of Twitter platform can be intoxicating, hence my comment about sheep and the Messiah.

Just personally, I prefer people who keep their heads down, and just do a good job and are being good citizen. Let the society recognize you for your past good deeds, rather you needing to buy goodwill via buying call options. Goodwill acquired through derivative instrument tend to have a decaying time premium to it.

well said !

If only we could buy far out of the money calls and puts on Chamath, we'd be rich in ten years!

I agree with Sanjeev here. I caught a youtube video a while back where he was saying that shorting banks was a good idea since we have ZIRP in effect. Then I hear SoFi is one of his SPAC's... lol

Interesting side note. I found out that he was a cross-currency swap trader @ BMO. I think it was his first job out of school.

He sold 6 million shares of Virgin Galactic.

I thought he said a few weeks ago after news broke he sold shares that he is a long term holder.

A bit confusing unless I missed what he said.

He also claimed on Bloomberg recently his net worth is $10 billion. if that is correct then how can he claim 2% of his net worth he needs to fund his future projects like he has claimed in the past?

He probably tripled his money in Virgin in less than a year so why not just be honest and say I tripled my money and it is overvalued instead of all this bullshit about being a long term older and I need money for new spacs?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/when-spac-man-chamath-palihapitiya-speaks-reddit-and-wall-street-listen-11615006818?mod=hp_lead_pos7

Another article. I hope we're at peak Chamath.

"In an emailed statement through a spokesman, Palihapitiya said he would redirect the funds from the share sale toward a “large investment” focused on the fight against climate change."

Next bubble found? ESG next? :)