Coronavirus

spartansaver

Guest cherzeca

The jump in US deaths according to http://covidtracking.com over the last 24 hours is staggering (1,941 deaths).

1,941 deaths in a day exceeds average number of U.S. deaths from heart disease (~1700-1800) in a day. Tragic. Clearly aggressive action was necessary. Hopeful that the slowing in growth of cases leads to peak in mortality soon.

these "covid" deaths of course are not purely covid deaths, but rather deaths arising from heart disease and many other life threatening conditions.  you do realize that less than 2% of covid deaths can not be directly attributed to underlying conditions (including old age). 

so you are showing your abject ignorance to say that covid deaths exceed heart disease deaths when 98% of covid deaths are heart disease deaths etc. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jump in US deaths according to http://covidtracking.com over the last 24 hours is staggering (1,941 deaths).

1,941 deaths in a day exceeds average number of U.S. deaths from heart disease (~1700-1800) in a day. Tragic. Clearly aggressive action was necessary. Hopeful that the slowing in growth of cases leads to peak in mortality soon.

these "covid" deaths of course are not purely covid deaths, but rather deaths arising from heart disease and many other life threatening conditions.  you do realize that less than 2% of covid deaths can not be directly attributed to underlying conditions (including old age). 

so you are showing your abject ignorance to say that covid deaths exceed heart disease deaths when 98% of covid deaths are heart disease deaths etc.

Someone missed our little gun wound to the head exercise a few posts back.

Hey, I'm curious cubsfan. If Trump transfers all $2 trillion of Coronavirus money to his own bank accounts, how will you defend him?

(I doubt he will, but I am curious how you will defend him, so I figured I'd just ask directly.)

I've said it before Richard. I voted for Obama in 2008. I did not like Trump at all during the election process. I could not stand Hillary.

But it's Ground Hog Day once again - Russia Hoax, Ukraine Corruption, Kavanaugh, Stormy Daniels, etc, etc, etc,

Another shot to get rid of the dictator - where the opposition party and/or media share no responsibility for the state of the country.

In spite of being voted in - from Day 1 - the resistance began - the enormous bitterness - I've never seen anything like it.

I'm in favor of moving the country forward - which the President has done - love him or hate him.

Now Trump is a BLUNT INSTRUMENT for sure.  Many, many people love him - although many also do not approve of his tactics.

So you are free to keep going. There is an election right around the corner. It will all be settled soon.

OK, I think I understand from this response what you'd do.  Thanks for the honest answer.

Looks like the weekend numbers were, once again, a lull in reporting.

EVCG7BuU0AAI85r?format=jpg&name=small

Yes, makes it harder to interpret/draw conclusions.

As far as counting Covid positive cases, one should not expect a smooth trend when demand for testing is exceeding capacity. According to calculated risk post I put up, CA released a ton of results around Sat Apr 4 as it worked thru a backlog of testing which may explain a spike in cases that day and a drop off the next day.

The output of data is lumpy.

this guy: 

"Michael Burry, the doctor-turned-investor who famously bet against mortgage securities before the 2008 financial crisis, has taken to Twitter with a controversial message: lockdowns intended to contain the coronavirus pandemic are worse than the disease itself...

“Universal stay-at-home is the most devastating economic force in modern history,” Burry wrote in an email to Bloomberg News. “And it is man-made. It very suddenly reverses the gains of underprivileged groups, kills and creates drug addicts, beats and terrorizes women and children in violent now-jobless households, and more. It bleeds deep anguish and suicide.”

Dr. Burry tells Bloomberg that he would “lift stay-at-home orders except for known risk groups. We already know certain conditions that are predictive of severe disease. Especially since young healthy lungs tend to be resistant, I would let the virus circulate in the population that is not likely to get severe disease from it. This is the only path that comes close to balancing the needs of all groups.”

A form of what Dr Burry is suggesting is likely what we see as we move to the next stage in the battle.

Is the church of “scientific consensus” going to change their view? Will the epidemiological popes allow Galileo to give his opinion or will he be burned at the stake for heresy? My guess is the latter...

It’s not a matter if, It’s a matter how. Do a controlled burn and make sure it not spreading into a wildfire. That’s a going to be the game. The vaccine is going to be too late to save us

this guy: 

"Michael Burry, the doctor-turned-investor who famously bet against mortgage securities before the 2008 financial crisis, has taken to Twitter with a controversial message: lockdowns intended to contain the coronavirus pandemic are worse than the disease itself...

“Universal stay-at-home is the most devastating economic force in modern history,” Burry wrote in an email to Bloomberg News. “And it is man-made. It very suddenly reverses the gains of underprivileged groups, kills and creates drug addicts, beats and terrorizes women and children in violent now-jobless households, and more. It bleeds deep anguish and suicide.”

Dr. Burry tells Bloomberg that he would “lift stay-at-home orders except for known risk groups. We already know certain conditions that are predictive of severe disease. Especially since young healthy lungs tend to be resistant, I would let the virus circulate in the population that is not likely to get severe disease from it. This is the only path that comes close to balancing the needs of all groups.”

A form of what Dr Burry is suggesting is likely what we see as we move to the next stage in the battle.

Is the church of “scientific consensus” going to change their view? Will the epidemiological popes allow Galileo to give his opinion or will he be burned at the stake for heresy? My guess is the latter...

Lol, Galileo.

Galileo's investments in Gamestop and Tailored Brands need the Church to listen! Galileo may be suffering from an acute case of incentive caused bias (Even Newton wasn't immune to the whims of the South Sea Company)...

But yes, what Pres Cuomo is already planning...a strategic reopening.

Galileo's investments in Gamestop

Yeah, the Gamestop that refused to close stores in states with shelter-in-place arguing that it's an "essential" business... until evil government agents closed the stores.

Maybe it was Galileo's idea...  ::)

this guy: 

Lol, Galileo.

Galileo's investments in Gamestop and Tailored Brands need the Church to listen! Galileo may be suffering from an acute case of incentive caused bias (Even Newton wasn't immune to the whims of the South Sea Company)...

No matter who they are, consider them talking their own book.

Some of Dr. Burry's ideas are interesting. For example: "I would lift stay-at-home orders except for known risk groups."

A practical problem is that at risk groups are widely dispersed in the communities. The following link conservatively estimates that over 90M of 246M Americans are at higher risk of developing severe COVID illness if exposed..

https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/issue-brief/how-many-adults-are-at-risk-of-serious-illness-if-infected-with-coronavirus/

Guest cherzeca

Some of Dr. Burry's ideas are interesting. For example: "I would lift stay-at-home orders except for known risk groups."

A practical problem is that at risk groups are widely dispersed in the communities. The following link conservatively estimates that over 90M of 246M Americans are at higher risk of developing severe COVID illness if exposed..

https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/issue-brief/how-many-adults-are-at-risk-of-serious-illness-if-infected-with-coronavirus/

you would ask risk groups to self identify and send them masks/latex gloves etc and ask them to shelter in place.  you would not tell people who are not in a risk group to shelter in place.  real easy, though beyond an epidemiologist

this guy: 

Lol, Galileo.

No matter who they are, consider them talking their own book.

Especially if they've spent years (?decades) in a hermit level of silence and suddenly feel compelled to shout all their thoughts out to the world on Twitter or CNBC.

you would ask risk groups to self identify and send them masks/latex gloves etc and ask them to shelter in place.  you would not tell people who are not in a risk group to shelter in place.  real easy, though beyond an epidemiologist

How straight forward!

Now we need to just think how these two groups interact.

So glad we have a bunch of non-epidemiologists here throwing ideas left, right and center. Next let's all of us start commenting on how we can change brain surgery since we are at it.

How straight forward!

Now we need to just think how these two groups interact.

So glad we have a bunch of non-epidemiologists here throwing ideas left, right and center. Next let's all of us start commenting on how we can change brain surgery since we are at it.

After the high risk group have been identified, please also add a bailout package for them until vaccine has been found. Easy peasy, recession solved.

Lmfao at some of you who don’t understand a metaphor and then simultaneously prove my point.

“Shout him down!”

Burry was a fucking genius to most of you leading up to 2008. Now because he has a differing opinion on a topic he’s a goddamn degenerate  ;D I’m not sure what his GameStop investment has to do with his covid19 opinion. If that’s your logic then perhaps you should part with your beloved BRK.b because ol daddy WB messed up his airline play.

Idk if he’s right or wrong. But he’s smart enough and respectable enough for me to listen to what he has to say and give it thought.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-07/michael-burry-slams-virus-lockdowns-in-controversial-tweetstorm

“It’s pretty clear that hydrochloroquine is doing something good for many Covid-19 patients. The standard in medicine is a placebo-controlled double-blind study. But there is no time for that. The technocrats at the top are getting this wrong. Do the studies, make the vaccines, but allow doctors to have what they feel is working now. Don’t take tools or drugs out of the treating doctors’ hands. Trump should use the Defense Production Act more liberally in this area.”

Lmfao at some of you who don’t understand a metaphor and then simultaneously prove my point.

“Shout him down!”

Burry was a fucking genius to most of you leading up to 2008. Now because he has a differing opinion on a topic he’s a goddamn degenerate  ;D I’m not sure what his GameStop investment has to do with his covid19 opinion. If that’s your logic then perhaps you should part with your beloved BRK.b because ol daddy WB messed up his airline play.

Idk if he’s right or wrong. But he’s smart enough and respectable enough for me to listen to what he has to say and give it thought.

You were right - burned at the stake he is!

“Shout him down!”

Lol 100% this.

They’ve lost it. Remember, NY elected officials are doing a heroic job overseeing the biggest Coronavirus disaster hub in America despite months on inaction, but Trumps response is the worst in history.

Maybe Burry owns stocks he thinks are good values(value investing, you know?) and can also have an opinion. Maybe he thinks if the situation is handled right, things work out? How horrific he voice that or have money invested anywhere! The only opinions that matter are the ones from the circus crew. Who peddle fear and refuse to be transparent about anything, refuse to make ANY trackable projections or commit to ANYTHING...who run their mouths consistently but “don’t owe anyone anything”... yup

https://www.dailywire.com/news/breaking-trump-looking-at-freezing-funding-to-w-h-o-over-coronavirus-mistakes

Trump Looking At Freezing Funding To W.H.O. Over Coronavirus Mistakes

The mainstream media should be all over the WHO and China cover-up story, instead they're focusing everything on trying to "get" Trump at his press conferences.

I think the media has taken their anti-Trump stance too far and it's sending an anti-American message to the world. I suspect that because Trump calls out China/WHO, the media will start defending China/WHO.. Interesting times.

as a canadian and non trump supporter

i do think my blame list is

1.China

2. WHO

3. and yes third is Trump for mis handling

Justin is just as bad at handling this as Trump-  Justin better at presentation but having blindly believed in info from WHO is a huge mistake IMO.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-pandemic-world-health-organization-failed/

Nice summary of WHO / China corruption:

When the WHO emergency committee discussed whether to declare COVID-19 a public-health emergency on January 23, international observers had definitively discredited Chinese health data. Yet Tedros relied on those data in arguing against declaring an emergency — over the objections of other committee members. That decision delayed the mobilization of public-health resources around the world. John Mackenzie, a committee member, attributed the delay to “very poor reporting” and “very poor communication” from the CCP. After finally declaring an emergency on January 30, Tedros continued to lavish praise on China. As late as February 20, he argued that Chinese actions were “slowing the spread [of coronavirus] to the rest of the world.”

The record is clear: The WHO has lent its imprimatur to Chinese disinformation and blessed China’s slow response to its domestic outbreak, which likely caused a 20-fold increase in cases, according to a University of Southampton study.

The Chinese government must believe they have invested very wisely. They backed Tedros’s bid to run the WHO in 2017, seeking to plant an ally in the U.N. leadership. Who was better suited for the role than a leftist political operative with a history of covering up health emergencies? As one of his first actions at the helm, Tedros assured the Chinese that he would adhere to the “One China” policy, barring Taiwanese participation.