Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

56 minutes ago, weighingmachine said:

Helen Mirren deserves an award for Golda and her cigarette for best supporting actor. Set in 73 Yom Kippur war, unfortunately the events are still quite relevant.

She's arguably the greatest British actress of all time in my opinion...and there's a lot of them to choose from.  Maybe Winslet will replace her when she's done, but for now she makes it always look so easy like Meryl Streep.  Also seems like an amazingly easy going person.  Cheers!

On 11/13/2023 at 2:13 AM, wescobrk said:

What did you think?

i really liked it but have a couple of minor criticisms (such as anticlimactic ending and the restaurant scene didn’t make sense exposing himself like that) but other than that I wish I could watch a sequel.

has anyone read the book?

I'm on a vacation and Netflix diet currently, so I haven't had time to watch it. Can't wait to watch it though. Hope it's as underrated and dark as Reptile.

Edited by formthirteen

3 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Anyone seeen this movie. 
saw it on FB

IMG_6853.thumb.jpeg.f2494a6c05dc4c13184bd444b064daed.jpeg

Is that Chung King Express?  If so, I saw it many years ago...a classic Hong Kong movie with a young Tony Leung...one of the great actors of all time out of Hong Kong.  Cheers!

10 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Is that Chung King Express?  If so, I saw it many years ago...a classic Hong Kong movie with a young Tony Leung...one of the great actors of all time out of Hong Kong.  Cheers!

awesome. Was looking for the title. 
I ll go with your guess. thank you 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungking_Express

on a different note started to watch White Lotus … Omg !!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting that AI can already be used to create better trailers than Disney's, short movies next, then full-length ones:

Feels weird watching a 107-year old Irish farmer talking about life almost 200 years ago and one of the very first machines and saying ”How could it be done at all?”:

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Parsad said:

Third "Dune 2" trailer looks spectacular!  Geez, they should have let Denis Villeneuve do a Star Wars franchise!

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi2902968089/?ref_=vi_tr_ma_vp_3

Cheers!

absolutely not. 
he is not a SW guy. 

Villeneuve’s Dune is great because his style meshes well with the way Frank Herbert set the Dune universe. David Lynch’ did as well but the movie was butchered by the studio. 

The great news however is not Dune 2 trailer, the great news is that Villeneuve will be making Dune Messiah (the second book) as the closing third chapter of the Dune trilogy. 

Historically Dune Messiah was always suppose to be part of the first book but in the 60s the book editor forced Herbert to cut it out as a separate book as it was anticlimactic.

Spoiler alert:  Paul becomes insane and falls from grace. the book editor could not have a story with a sad ending, where Paul Atrides becomes the very thing he had try to destroy. It was too much for a Western audience, where good-bad guys needs to binary. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:29 PM, Xerxes said:

If you haven’t seen “gangs of London” you are missing out. 

that shit is complex !!

I need to withdraw this recommendation. This show is total garbage.

The first season started well but then devolve into “they” the faceless bad guys that are corporate investors in London. It is like watching X-files. 

second season is all about shifting alliances, without the grace of Game of Thrones. 

avoid this like the plague

On 12/30/2023 at 4:15 AM, Ulti said:

Just saw this last night ;dont know if its been posted. An excellent "feel good "movie to watch with the wife\girlfriend\both etc.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=bank+of+dave+movie+trailer&iax=videos&ia=videos&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DWIC1DKq0S9s

Yeah Bank of Dave was a good movie and it’s also on Netflix!

On 12/30/2023 at 5:41 AM, Xerxes said:

absolutely not. 
he is not a SW guy. 

Villeneuve’s Dune is great because his style meshes well with the way Frank Herbert set the Dune universe. David Lynch’ did as well but the movie was butchered by the studio. 

The great news however is not Dune 2 trailer, the great news is that Villeneuve will be making Dune Messiah (the second book) as the closing third chapter of the Dune trilogy. 

Historically Dune Messiah was always suppose to be part of the first book but in the 60s the book editor forced Herbert to cut it out as a separate book as it was anticlimactic.

Spoiler alert:  Paul becomes insane and falls from grace. the book editor could not have a story with a sad ending, where Paul Atrides becomes the very thing he had try to destroy. It was too much for a Western audience, where good-bad guys needs to binary. 

He was a huge original trilogy SW fan...the primary reason he became a film maker.  

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/dune-star-wars-inspired-denis-villeneuve/

Glad he's making Messiah.  Should also be terrific!  Cheers!

Just finished “BitConned” on Netflix. Wow, this is a must see.  It’s a documentary on a group of crypto con artists from 2017.  I must have said “Oh my god” like 15 times while watching it. The brass balls on these guys. Highly recommended.