Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

30 minutes ago, Blugolds11 said:

Also for those that like the mob type shows, check out Boardwalk Empire, been a while since I watched it but thought it was pretty decent and as I recall its based on real characters and the Atlantic City mob, Capone is in there also. 

Rewatched Boardwalk Empire recently. Seasons one through three are absolutely top notch. Season four is disappointing. Season five is non-canonical; I'd recommend skipping.

20 hours ago, Pessoa said:

Rewatched Boardwalk Empire recently. Seasons one through three are absolutely top notch. Season four is disappointing. Season five is non-canonical; I'd recommend skipping.

I watch all of its … twice.  
HBO double down on the bull market on mafia genre. 

I don’t remember what is season 5, but I do recall one thing that was off. Chucky losing his empire literally overnight because show writers decided so. It didn’t flow well I thought. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.economist.com/culture/2023/10/27/a-golden-age-of-tv-is-losing-its-shine

There are some subjects where the globe-spanning tech titans are even touchier than the old broadcast networks. Apple recently cancelled “The Problem with Jon Stewart”, a satirical current-affairs show, reportedly because of concerns about Mr Stewart’s critical stances on China and artificial intelligence. Some of the people who helped to create tv’s golden age are downbeat about its future. hbo “died at 50”, Michael Fuchs, who ran the network in the 1980s, tells Mr. Biskind. “There’s no longer an hbo.” A producer of “The Wire”, one of hbo’s grittiest and most celebrated shows, says the company would never make it today. For creatives, television’s golden age is turning into a gilded cage.

On 11/8/2023 at 6:53 AM, backtothebeach said:

Curious, what issues are you referring to?

I was too young at the time, but remember seeing the "wanted" posters with headshots of the RAF members at the post office.

Palestine for once. The terrorism and the conundrum of other countries getting involved. Communism being “cool”.

There were several episodes in Tatort as well about the Baader Meinhof Bande. Monhaupt was probably the most infamous one during the 70‘s. Her picture was found in virtually every Post offices and Railroad stations. I do remember the Stammheim Drama

On 8/28/2023 at 3:21 PM, formthirteen said:

The Killer will be a killer movie unlike 99% of movies released in recent years. "Brief sexuality" and "Netflix presents" makes me a bit sceptical though 🤨

What did you think?

i really liked it but have a couple of minor criticisms (such as anticlimactic ending and the restaurant scene didn’t make sense exposing himself like that) but other than that I wish I could watch a sequel.

has anyone read the book?

I recently stumbled on some youtube interviews with Christoph Waltz. Seems very nice and interesting person. And than realised that I almost do not remember Django Unchained. I hope to rewatch it soon / sometimes it is good to have not so good memory:)

2 hours ago, UK said:

I recently stumbled on some youtube interviews with Christoph Waltz. Seems very nice and interesting person. And than realised that I almost do not remember Django Unchained. I hope to rewatch it soon / sometimes it is good to have not so good memory:)

It was a fantastic movie, but went completely off the rails in the final 5 minutes.  Christoph Waltz, Jamie Foxx, Leonardo Di Caprio and Samuel L. Jackson all had Oscar worthy performances.  Just Tarantino went all nuts in the final 5 minutes.  Sometimes it works like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and sometimes its a mess like Inglorious Bastards!  Cheers!

Watched "What the Doctors Saw" on Paramount+ last night.  Good documentary about the Parkland Hospital Doctors who treated JFK in Dallas after the shooting.   An interesting part of the story and some tidbits I've never heard.  Probably won't change anyone's mind though. In my experience there are the people who will believe the official government narrative regardless of all the eye witness accounts in the world or and other evidence, and then there are the people who already know that the CIA murdered John F. Kennedy.

On 11/12/2023 at 5:13 PM, wescobrk said:

What did you think?

i really liked it but have a couple of minor criticisms (such as anticlimactic ending and the restaurant scene didn’t make sense exposing himself like that) but other than that I wish I could watch a sequel.

has anyone read the book?

Thought it was excellent!  Fassbender would have been great as James Bond.  The man can do anything.  Cheers!

On 11/5/2023 at 6:18 AM, Luca said:

And this was probably the best movie of the year for me, amazing performance:

image.thumb.png.140bcaf4bad6f3a9f6ba86deb5dca959.png

Was a terrific movie!  Benicio is one of the best actors of his generation.  Still can't believe how he stole every scene as the honest Mexican cop in Traffic, and his best role ever was the assassin ex-lawyer in Sicario.  Cheers!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Parsad said:

Was a terrific movie!  Benicio is one of the best actors of his generation.  Still can't believe how he stole every scene as the honest Mexican cop in Traffic, and his best role ever was the assassin ex-lawyer in Sicario.  Cheers!

The Benicio dude was scary in Sicario. 

He was great in Snatch as well. Oh yes !! The glorious go-go 90s. It seems so far away now.   

21 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

Enjoyed this, this afternoon. It's awesome!

Yeah!! That movie completely flips into such an amazing creepy mood when he discovers whats really happening with the houses, that scene with the car, the ending "get out of here!!"

Just awesome (watched twice, once alone and once with GF :D)

Glad you liked it @John Hjorth @Parsad

Edited by Luca