Buffett/Berkshire - general news

The ethics stuff reminded me of one of my favorite business books: 

The Billionaire Who Wasn't: How Chuck Feeney Secretly Made and Gave Away a Fortune https://www.amazon.com/Billionaire-Who-Wasnt-Secretly-Fortune/dp/1610393341

“If you have the right heroes in life, you’re 90% of the way home. Chuck Feeney is a good hero to have.” - Buffett

Edited by MMM20

17 minutes ago, treasurehunt said:

The 13F-HR for Q1 is out.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1067983/000095012323005270/0000950123-23-005270-index.htm

Here are some changes that I noticed - added to OXY; reduced ATVI, CVX and GM; sold out of USB and BK but retained position in Citi.

Added 20 million shares of AAPL (unless they just moved the shares that were previously in a separate filing, I forget which subsidiary).

Edited by backtothebeach

31 minutes ago, backtothebeach said:

Added 20 million shares of AAPL (unless they just moved the shares that were previously in a separate filing, I forget which subsidiary).

They finally cleaned up the separate holdings at Gen Re New England Asset Management.  They all show up on Berkshire's 13F now.  No new AAPL shares have been acquired since the Allegheny purchase.

24 minutes ago, gfp said:

They finally cleaned up the separate holdings at Gen Re New England Asset Management.  They all show up on Berkshire's 13F now.  No new AAPL shares have been acquired since the Allegheny purchase.

Also didn't add to BAC. Just consolidated holdings from the two 13-Fs. 

2 hours ago, sleepydragon said:

Surprised to see VTS. Thrilled 🙂

Not actively bought I think, just the spun off shares.

A few quarters ago they had OGN from a spinoff, and sold it within the quarter.

So VTS might be already gone.

Edit: Just realized that they had almost 3 months to sell it in Q1, but kept it - so maybe they think it is too cheap to sell. Hard to say how much analysis is going on at Berkshire for such a small position.

Edited by backtothebeach

Berkshire nibbles more OXY:

Bought 2,165,792 shares for $125,746,875. Average price paid: $58.06/share.  Berkshire now owns 213,872,911 shares of common. Plus warrants and preferreds.

https://www.dataroma.com/m/rt.php

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1067983/000089924323013028/xslF345X03/doc4.xml

Buffett (at the recent AM): "And we will not be making any offer for control of Occidental. But we love the shares we have. And we may or may not own more in the future.

We now know the appetite is still there for the common priced under $60/share.

after watching the DJCO meeting, i bought the smaller box of peanut brittle and polished it off over 24 hours.  Then a headache developed that lasted four days.  I’ve never had anything like that happened to me. Pretty scary. Not doing that again.

35 minutes ago, crs223 said:

after watching the DJCO meeting, i bought the smaller box of peanut brittle and polished it off over 24 hours.  Then a headache developed that lasted four days.  I’ve never had anything like that happened to me. Pretty scary. Not doing that again.

Lol, yeah the stuff is pretty toxic and hard to stop nibbling on. I mean look at the ingredient list. Better to eat in small doses:

Peanuts, Sugar, Butter, Corn Syrup, Salt, Baking Soda, Vanillin.

On 5/20/2023 at 1:39 PM, backtothebeach said:

Doing.my part…

First time trying. So eating a lot of this makes you live as long as Charlie Munger, did I get that right?

IMG_6026.thumb.jpeg.eb405cf71c0ac894316ab524537db0c0.jpeg

I bet you can use them to catch mice (they love the peanuts taste ) and maybe kill them at the same time.

On 5/20/2023 at 10:39 AM, backtothebeach said:

Doing.my part…

First time trying. So eating a lot of this makes you live as long as Charlie Munger, did I get that right?

IMG_6026.thumb.jpeg.eb405cf71c0ac894316ab524537db0c0.jpeg

The peanut brittle is good, but the chocolate is better.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Coming from Europe, I would strongly disagree. Ghiradelli chocolate is much better, if you want to stick with made in the USA.

To Buffett's point...tastes in chocolate shouldn't be so regional...but they are, persistently.

I like Hershey's!

5 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Coming from Europe, I would strongly disagree. Ghiradelli chocolate is much better, if you want to stick with made in the USA.

I am with you on this generally. Love dark chocolate (especially the Belgian stuff), can't stand the milk variety. I am a naturalized US citizen, originally from India. But See's has added dark chocolates a few years back and some of them are very good. Try the dark with walnuts, marzipan and dark nougat at See's. 

1 hour ago, Munger_Disciple said:

I am with you on this generally. Love dark chocolate (especially the Belgian stuff), can't stand the milk variety. I am a naturalized US citizen, originally from India. But See's has added dark chocolates a few years back and some of them are very good. Try the dark with walnuts, marzipan and dark nougat at See's. 

My goto chocolate is the Ghiradelli with 85% Cocoa. I would give the Sea's chocolate a try, but they are basically unobtainable on the East coast. When I lived in CA, I was not exactly thrilled with the Sea's pralines but that was a while ago and I have not tried them since.

Costco has pretty good stuff on sale from time to time. It's very hard to go wrong with Belgian chocolate or pralines.

This is a chocolate stock I have been checking out a couple of times, but never bough (Barry Callebaut). There is of course Lindt and Sprungli, but it is very very richly valued and the common shares cost a Be5rtkshire like 100K CHF.

image.thumb.png.1686298856905ee048836e81c4c61d4b.png

Edited by Spekulatius

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

My goto chocolate is the Ghiradelli with 85% Cocoa. I would give the Sea's chocolate a try, but they are basically unobtainable on the East coast. When I lived in CA, I was not exactly thrilled with the Sea's pralines but that was a while ago and I have not tried them since.

I like Ghiradelli, but my new favorite is Trader Joe's 85% Uganda Chocolate.  It's amazing, even better than Ghiradelli IMHO.

https://www.traderjoes.com/home/products/pdp/066292