What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

20 hours ago, Whensthepaintdry? said:

Is aci spread not attractive enough? It seems like a safer bet. 

But it appears it's a sure things that FTC and California and who knows what other states will sue soon, and if they do, it's going to be another 8 months in court? Might as well to wait till the FTC sue? 

Bought/am at the very tail end of buying a basket of Japanese net-nets/neg EV co's.

Made it a little under 10% of my portfolio so it's reasonably small.

Focused on the above plus a growing cash pile/growing NCAV over the past decade + profitability.

I can't say i was overly enthralled with the purchases as they've almost all run a lot over the last 6 months and as is probably news to no one - not so much over the longer term; the perennially "discounted" Japanese market.

I think it's probably going to be paramount that the soft-mandate put forward of reducing discounts to book, is at least taken somewhat seriously - and I can't say I'm completely confident it will.

Will the threat of delisting instil fear and action in the boards of these companies? Probably some - but I suspect many within a basket like this would probably not shed a tear.

On 10/20/2023 at 4:44 PM, ACooke said:

Will the threat of delisting instil fear and action in the boards of these companies? Probably some - but I suspect many within a basket like this would probably not shed a tear.

I actually believe in a culture like Japan, simply shaming these companies and management teams by the stock exchange officials might work.

Part of the reason why many of these smaller company management haven’t done anything is because nobody rattled their cage.

The larger cos have been feeling the pressure more because they have to compete internationally amongst other reasons.

Edited by Spekulatius

24 minutes ago, Malmqky said:

May I ask what you find attractive about BOC?

Thanks for asking. 

I suppose the same things as the motley fools who bought it at 2x book, just with rather less enthusiasm.

I think I get and like the analysis and decisions around billboards, rural fiber (with the subsidies), dfh, surety, the middle/high end recreational boat company during covid. 

I don't get ally or the auto focused bank in Louisiana.  I don't get NNI and why Petersen owns more of that than BOC in his fund.  

I get that asset management is a good bidness but IDK about the real estate/build to rent stuff.  Skeptical, but I guess if they know "talented real estate guys" and want to back them by raising money in return for fees... 

The SPAC put me off bigly, but I guess was somewhat helpful in thinking through potential durable comp advantages in consolidated airlines now with 4 players (or 5).  I'm ok with the compensation agreement (with the caps and high water in place).  Wish they would shut down their funds but alright. [I haven't seen their performance figures for the funds.  If they blew, would appreciate a head's up.]

I figure it's likely worth holding enough to care, just in case it really works.  I also feel that I benefited from reading their stuff on my thinking about LAMR, CMCSA, DFH, maybe airlines, and title insurance cos. (similar mechanics to surety..have to have it, buyer and payee are usually not of the same interest, and no one wants to use it...and stocks available to me).  So I plan to accumulate enough to make sure I watch/read their letters (but I ain't paying a premium to trailing book).

Edited by CorpRaider

GOOGL! 

Revenues are growing, operating margin is growing. I think that the sell-off on the basis of lower-than-expected cloud revenue is an overreaction.

An overall concern with growth companies is the relative valuation vs. risk free rate (i.e., at a 22 PE and 4.5% earnings yield, equities seem frothy and I expect them to come down... not sure when)