Share your Portfolio 2024

But also, I am young, so I can afford to be concentrated in things like China. It's a totally different game if you are 45 and have a family or 60 and are close to retiring. My account is worth above 100k, though, so it's not meaningless either.  

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, UK said:

Now lets wait until he drops Putin under the bus and everything will be allright:))

Just imagine how fast the geopolitical tables can change! A LOT can happen in 5 years, and China still is super duper cheap. 

1 minute ago, MMM20 said:

@Luke I bet you'll outperform if you keep your head on straight during the inevitable ~80% drawdown.

Yeah, always important to really protect the unexpected shitter drawdowns that might kill you if you borrow. 

45 minutes ago, John Hjorth said:

@Xerxes,

Did a post of yours disappear in this topic not so long ago today?

hi John 

I have to re-post. it was about my YTD return, but then realized that the return was off 1-2%, b/c I forgot to remove a cash in injection in January. 

so I have to rerun the numbers and re-post. Wanted to make sure the return is correct. Won’t make a big difference on my initial post, but wanted it to be correct. 

2 hours ago, Xerxes said:

hi John 

I have to re-post. it was about my YTD return, but then realized that the return was off 1-2%, b/c I forgot to remove a cash in injection in January. 

so I have to rerun the numbers and re-post. Wanted to make sure the return is correct. Won’t make a big difference on my initial post, but wanted it to be correct. 

Thanks, @Xerxes,

What you posted [and deleted] was actually awesome returns, @Xerxes!,

Please stop nitpicking [perhaps minor] injections, if they don't really matter. 😉

TSX as of Oct. 02/2024 

Fairfax Financial................. FFH.............. 52.76% 

Royal Bank......................... RY ................ 12.27% 

Altius Minerals.....................ALS ................ 4.68%  

Aecon Group...................... ARE ................4.63% 

Terravest Industries.............TVK................ 4.15% 

Stelco Holdings...................STLC ..............4.00% 

AtkinsRealis Group............. ATRL.............. 3.38% 

Berkshire Hathaway............ BRK.B ............2.44% 

Suncor Energy.................... SU...................2.06% 

Fairfax India........................ FIH.U..............1.98% 

Clarke Inc............................CKI ................ 1.91% 

Fortis Inc..............................FTS................1.23% 

Generac Holdings............... GNRC ...........1.08% 

Whitecap Resources ...........WCP ............ 0.73% 

Cenovus Energy.................. CVE ............. 0.69% 

Crescent Point.....................CJ................. 0.64% 

Saputo Inc...........................SAP............... 0.58% 

Cleveland-Cliffs...................CLF............... 0.35% 

Think I'm up around 36% 2024 to date. Dividends will add another 2% by end of year.

Edited by cwericb

I don’t usually share interim report, as it is usually noise. but this quarter is an exception 

Total TFSA/RRSP/LIRA return for YTD 2024. Not including crypto. 

2024 Q1/Q2/Q3 => 25.6%
2023 => 24.81%
2022 => -11.48%
2021 => 20.09%
2020 => 11.36%

Pre-2020 => data tracked differently so not comparable 

S&P500 YTD Q1/Q2/Q3 return: ~20%

When the markets are going well I usually track it +/- 1-2 % and when the bear comes in (2022), I usually do better thanks to the strong tilt toward BRK and FFH. That is the source of long term outperformance I think. 

Q3 this year however was juicy enough to push my return way above S&P500 YTD in an upmarket. I think that would be the first time. I say Q3, because I know I closely tracked S&P500 in Q1 and Q2 of this year.

S&P500 Q3 return: 5.5%

No clue what is my Q3 specific return as I just check YTD always. 

I did a quick check, here are some Q3 alpha culprit w/ the above 20% returns:

- Stelco 84% 

- Mercado Libre 28%

- Starbucks 28% 

- RTX 23%

- BN 24% 

- BIP 21%

- Barrick 20%

Edited by Xerxes

2 hours ago, Xerxes said:

I don’t usually share interim report, as it is usually noise. but this quarter is an exception 

Total TFSA/RRSP/LIRA return for YTD 2024. Not including crypto. 

2024 Q1/Q2/Q3 => 25.6%
2023 => 24.81%
2022 => -11.48%
2021 => 20.09%
2020 => 11.36%

Pre-2020 => data tracked differently so not comparable 

S&P500 YTD Q1/Q2/Q3 return: ~20%

When the markets are going well I usually track it +/- 1-2 % and when the bear comes in (2022), I usually do better thanks to the strong tilt toward BRK and FFH. That is the source of long term outperformance I think. 

Q3 this year however was juicy enough to push my return way above S&P500 YTD in an upmarket. I think that would be the first time. I say Q3, because I know I closely tracked S&P500 in Q1 and Q2 of this year.

S&P500 Q3 return: 5.5%

No clue what is my Q3 specific return as I just check YTD always. 

I did a quick check, here are some Q3 alpha culprit w/ the above 20% returns:

- Stelco 84% 

- Mercado Libre 28%

- Starbucks 28% 

- RTX 23%

- BN 24% 

- BIP 21%

- Barrick 20%

Nice!

On 10/2/2024 at 6:30 PM, james22 said:

Now include Bitcoin.

My performance would be way higher.

When I see opportunities in the stock market,

I invest.

But for me, Bitcoin is the ultimate savings technology.

I spend most of my spare time studying it, as it connects the dots between many of my favorite topics.

Edited by Dave86ch

16 minutes ago, Dave86ch said:

I spend most of my spare time studying it, as it connects the dots between many of my favorite topics

Not to discourage you from spending time on your favourite topic, but please be aware of the confirmation bias. Could be a good idea of spending some time for thinking what might kill the thesis. Like the question: what if some kind of super computing (quantum?) will become awailable in the future, but only for a few organisations/countries at first? I know I asked this before, but it seems so far nobody has answered or I have missed it:)

Edited by UK

14 minutes ago, UK said:

Not to discourage you from spending time on your favourite topic, but please be aware of the confirmation bias. Could be a good idea of spending some time for thinking what might kill the thesis. Like the question: what if some kind of super computing (quantum?) will become awailable in the future, but only for a few organisations/countries at first? I know I asked this before, but it seems so far nobody has answered or I have missed it:)

Wouldn't quantum computing break all of the current encryption technology used to safeguard your bank and brokerage etc, so I assume this is just as much a risk to the standard finance community as it is to crypto? 

9 minutes ago, Milu said:

Wouldn't quantum computing break all of the current encryption technology used to safeguard your bank and brokerage etc, so I assume this is just as much a risk to the standard finance community as it is to crypto? 

Perhaps you are right, but these are insured, in some cases totally or to a some degree at least and generally also falls under state protection, so maybe this means a biger treshold for someone to attack them, not sure the same care would be applied to crypto assets?

All this is way above my pay grade, just trying to understand how some people could be confortable with majority of their assets in crypto.

Edited by UK

4 minutes ago, UK said:

Perhaps you are right, but these are insured, in some cases totally or to a some degree at least and genarally falls under state protection, so maybe this means a biger treshold to attack, not sure the same care would be applied to crypto assets?

Any bitcoin held off exchanges on hardware wallets etc I would expect you wouldn't be covered, but I would think that the value of any bitcoin etfs held would have the exact same coverage as any other etfs. I'm not too sure what's covered by governments in the event that your brokerage account got hacked or drained. In Ireland we are covered by the EU deposit guarantee of up to 100k for bank deposits, but I don't believe brokerages fall under this.

If I look at interactive brokers website it references the following, which isn't gonna help much if you've got hundreds of thousands or millions in your portfolio.

"Certain clients of Interactive Brokers Ireland Limited are protected by the Irish Investor Compensation Scheme ("ICS").

The ICS is intended to help private individuals and does not cover institutions and professional clients. Compensation under the ICS is limited to 90% of the amount lost, subject to a maximum of €20,000 to each investor."