Analyzing Brett Horn

Haryana

3 hours ago, Haryana said:

Morningstar newswire on Fairfax response is missing the word "never" in second paragraph,

making it sound wrong while any other financial website you go to have the correct wording.

https://www.morningstar.com/news/globe-newswire/9035534/fairfax-responds-further-to-short-seller-report

image.thumb.png.6f47728e3740ef09e0458b6cfd297a9d.png

well picked up - I highlighted in yellow from original press release from Fairfax below

image.png

Edited by glider3834

Wow, it really would be something if the report was on the behalf of Brett Horn.   Claim Fairfax book is 20% overstated, hope for a drawdown of at least that much, and then Brett can point to his price target and say "See, I knew it was overvalued".

1 hour ago, glider3834 said:

well picked up - I highlighted in yellow from original press release from Fairfax below

image.png

Here's the actual Globe Newswire press release, so you know they didn't make a mistake.  How does Morningstar get this wrong?  This is not cut and paste.  The whole press release comes as is...there is nothing to adjust, cut, copy, etc.  Cheers!

https://www.globenewswire.com/en/news-release/2024/02/12/2827434/0/en/Fairfax-Responds-Further-to-Short-Seller-Report.html

15 minutes ago, glider3834 said:

it could be coding error 

It would need to be a selective coding error, as the below section from the press release did not have the word “never” removed. 

We have always been focused on building for the long term and have never given any quarterly guidance.

Edited by Hoodlum

Just now, Hoodlum said:

It would need to be a selective coding error, as the below section from the press release did not have the word “never” removed. 

someone on Twitter pointed out that Morningstar system probably wasn’t able to read underlined words. I guess it’s rare to see them in press releases.

50 minutes ago, Santayana said:

Wow, it really would be something if the report was on the behalf of Brett Horn.   Claim Fairfax book is 20% overstated, hope for a drawdown of at least that much, and then Brett can point to his price target and say "See, I knew it was overvalued".

Jokes on us. Brett Horn hired MW just to have a second voice agree with him 🤣

9 minutes ago, glider3834 said:

The most likely explanation is correct. Just more incompetence at Morningstar. 

I was also thinking that this was likely something technical during their processing.

Watsco report has a large number of underlined text and all of them are truncated

but there that doesn't overturn the meaning of the message like it does on Fairfax.

1 hour ago, SafetyinNumbers said:

I agree. I sent an email to the company. Hopefully, they follow up.

1 hour ago, glider3834 said:

I just sent an email to morningstar as well 🙂

Look at all the alligators in FFH’s moat 🤣

With shareholders like these, FFH need not be concerned about shorts, I guess.

15 hours ago, glider3834 said:

Here is a press release for Watsco  on morningstar site & the underlined words are also missing as well - so it looks like this is a system wide issue

Wow, great pick-up! With hindsight, we should have noticed that the two missing words were the two words that were underlined. 

Brett Horn Strikes Again

https://www.morningstar.com/company-reports/1208136-fairfax-earnings-strong-finish-to-the-year

"Fairfax finished the year on a strong note and continues to benefit from industry and macroeconomic tailwinds. Book value per share, adjusted for dividends, increased 25% for the full year, a metric that we believe highlights how favorable the environment has been for the no-moat company. We are maintaining our CAD 970 per share fair value estimate and see the shares as overvalued right now."

30 minutes ago, Luca said:

HAHA! Love his description of the company as "the no moat company". A disgrace to watsa and Co.

Certainly, it sounds ridiculous.

However, that is part of their categorization. They categorize all companies in either of

1. Wide Moat

2. Narrow Moat

3. No Moat

What looks unbelievably ridiculous is that their newswires are still up there without the underlined texts.

I wonder when this bug got started in their system or for how long this issue has been out there.

38 minutes ago, Haryana said:

Certainly, it sounds ridiculous.

However, that is part of their categorization. They categorize all companies in either of

1. Wide Moat

2. Narrow Moat

3. No Moat

What looks unbelievably ridiculous is that their newswires are still up there without the underlined texts.

I wonder when this bug got started in their system or for how long this issue has been out there.

I find "no moat" also quite undifferentiated. Yes, opening a burger restaurant next door is a very small to no moat. But a globally scaled insurance company does have a moat, they have trust of consumers, they spend significant amounts on advertising to preserve the trust, with scale one can compete on the price front too. Its not a wide moat but its also not NO moat...

21 hours ago, Luca said:

I find "no moat" also quite undifferentiated. Yes, opening a burger restaurant next door is a very small to no moat. But a globally scaled insurance company does have a moat, they have trust of consumers, they spend significant amounts on advertising to preserve the trust, with scale one can compete on the price front too. Its not a wide moat but its also not NO moat...

Bigger companies have bigger competitors and the industry itself is a price taker. No moat even for the insurance business of Berkshire, however, they get the moat due to operating businesses which have moats and and now they are more about those than the insurance.

Fairfax seem to get zero credit for management from Brett and he is using the same rhetoric from the beginning if you go to the articles when he started covering. When he calls them no moat, it sounds insulting because he calls them destroyers of value. 

Edited by Haryana