Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

On 8/15/2023 at 3:33 PM, Luca said:

For the danish folks here, @John Hjorth, I will travel with the GF to Copenhagen for the weekend, anything worth doing and not worth doing, we thought of visiting Rosenborg Castle, statens museum? What do you recommend:))

Hi Luca. I'm danish too and besides the other great suggestions my favourite places are:

Tivoli Gardens (including a danish concert friday evening included in the entry fee)

Botanisk Have (flowers etc.)

Nyhavn boat trip (canal tours: https://www.havnerundfart.dk)

Glyptoteket (Danish art, French art, Egyptian stuff, roman stuff)

Places with less tourists and more locals:

Christiania (including a free danish concert sunday evening)

Assistens Kirkegård (graveyard with HC Andersen, Kirkegaard, Ørsted, Niels Bohr and other famous people)

Nørrebroparken (really nice vibe, park, volleyball, soccer, skating)

Fælledparken (big park with a lake and really good vibe too)

Frederiksberg Park/Søndermarken (2 parks next to each other) 

Have fun

16 hours ago, Vish_ram said:

I highly recommend Iceland. My son & I finished Laugavegur trail and did the ring road in a camper van. 

The trail was easy and amazing. 

IMG_0896 Copy.JPG

Wow that looks gorgeous! Iceland is on my destination list too. Preferably with a bit vulcano action😉

Perhaps this sort of an excersion might be an idea for some.

So far this year we have been to Cuba and Portugal. And while jets are great, my better half has always wanted to experience a flight in a helicopter. So, with an upcoming milestone birthday, I booked a helicopter picnic tour with a company called Vision Air, out of Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Vision has a popular sideline flying parties of four to the deserted Sambro Island located just outside of the famous Halifax Harbour where the WWII convoys assembled prior to departing for Britain. On the return journey, convoy crews would often remark that they couldn’t rest easy until they saw the lighthouse on Sambro Island.

Sambro is a small island about a 20 minute low level flight over the historic city and it’s harbour from the airport. After circling the island, the pilot gently sets the helicopter down on the rocky Atlantic coast not far from Sambro’s towering lighthouse, said to be the oldest in North America. I the helicopter, you can easily slide open the large window beside you and it makes for stellar photography.

Once on Sambro you have an hour or so to wander around, take pictures and explore the deserted buildings and the wildlife on the Island.

Later, table and chairs are set up on the rocks not far from the helicopter and wine and snacks (salad, fruit plates, etc) are served. Everyone agreed that the food exceeded expectations.

Our return flight took place over several small and picturesque harbours along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia.

Fortunately, we have two close friends who live in the city and wanted to come with us and it was truly a ‘bucket list’ experience for us all. Cost was $575 CDN per person. Next on our list might be Vision’s Sable Island tour. Known as ‘the graveyard of the Atlantic and for it’s herds of wild horses, Sable Island is over an hour’s flight time and a day long trip.

https://visionairhelicopters.ca/heli-picnic-island-escape/

image.thumb.jpeg.602d29b640565626323aa46fcb8dd8bf.jpeg

Edited by cwericb

On 8/22/2023 at 5:36 AM, Seoshin said:

Oh wow I never thought there will be a travel thread here! 

I'm going to Vietnam next month in Hanoi. Any travel tips for peeps that has already been there??

The heat and humidity are brutal in September. 

Buy a esim before you go or there are reasonably priced sim card you can buy at the airport. Download grab to get around. A car from the airport into town is insanely cheap if you are used to lyft/grab prices.

If this is your first time, a good area to stay is around the old quarter/hoan kiem lake. 

Hoa Lo Prison aka Hanoi Hilton is worth a visit, just be prepared for lots of propaganda. Area around Uncle Ho's mausoleum is nice, just don't piss off the guards. Can get from there to the Imperial Citadel and the war bunkers. 

For food: Banh Mi 25 is a must when I visit. Bun Cha Ta for Bun Cha. Pasteur Street Brewing for beers. 

Also be sure to watch some youtube videos on how to cross the road properly. The first time you do it is a real leap of faith. Maybe bring some earplugs too to cancel out some of the incessant horn honks you'll be hearing if your room isn't very insulated. 

Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2023 at 5:39 PM, Gamecock-YT said:

The heat and humidity are brutal in September. 

Buy a esim before you go or there are reasonably priced sim card you can buy at the airport. Download grab to get around. A car from the airport into town is insanely cheap if you are used to lyft/grab prices.

If this is your first time, a good area to stay is around the old quarter/hoan kiem lake. 

Hoa Lo Prison aka Hanoi Hilton is worth a visit, just be prepared for lots of propaganda. Area around Uncle Ho's mausoleum is nice, just don't piss off the guards. Can get from there to the Imperial Citadel and the war bunkers. 

For food: Banh Mi 25 is a must when I visit. Bun Cha Ta for Bun Cha. Pasteur Street Brewing for beers. 

Also be sure to watch some youtube videos on how to cross the road properly. The first time you do it is a real leap of faith. Maybe bring some earplugs too to cancel out some of the incessant horn honks you'll be hearing if your room isn't very insulated. 

Enjoy!

Lovely! Thanks for this! All noted already. I come from the Philippines so heat and humidity is nothing to me. For the grab, are cars popular in Hanoi? I always see motorcycles more than car so perhaps grab would be the same. 

Noted also on the food! One of the main reasons I wanted to visit Vietnam so bad. haha 

On 8/31/2023 at 7:46 PM, Seoshin said:

Lovely! Thanks for this! All noted already. I come from the Philippines so heat and humidity is nothing to me. For the grab, are cars popular in Hanoi? I always see motorcycles more than car so perhaps grab would be the same. 

Noted also on the food! One of the main reasons I wanted to visit Vietnam so bad. haha 

Cars are getting more popular but given how narrow a lot of the streets are in town, motos are still the mode of transport of choice for the locals. It's certainly cheaper to get around with grab on a moto but just be sure you keep your arms and legs in tight to the bike. I've got my ankle scrapped once while riding there. 

• 2 months later...
25 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

Currently in Singapore. On my way there, passed through the Middle East. This must have been the closest I have been to Iran in decades !

IMG_6343.thumb.jpeg.e0d0de33c5962a16a15f21014e8d4c49.jpeg

Nice!

I just got back from visiting singapore & thailand last week. Was an awesome trip Singapore is stellar hope you have a great time..

After spending a few weeks in SE Asia and using Grab quite a bit it sparked my interest and I needa do a deeper dive on GRAB. 

Anyone else use / do any research on GRAB as an idea? while still not profitable and looks like its had quite the sell off since going public it does appear like it has a very long runway in front of it.  We used it a lot in both Thailand and Singapore. They have a presence and visibility far above and beyond their competitors on the streets in SE Asia. 

Curious anyone elses thoughts. 

Went to Costa Rica in October because best friend was hanging out there for a month with a family friend to help her build her resort. Air far was super cheap ($500) so I said why not? Flights were pretty long tho, ended up being about 10-12 hours through texas each way. When I got there it turns out that her "resort' was deep in the jungle on the pacific coast, it took two hours to get there from airport on mostly dirt roads. And she had been in an accident so we had to take her to physical therapy in town every morning which was a 2 hour drive over same bumpy roads. And the only time I saw the beach was on the way back for an hour or so a day. My cabin was surrounded by howler monkeys who woke me every morning at 5 AM, but fortunately my buddy was the only one with a scorpion in his room. 

So I had an amazing time. Food was outstanding, people were super friendly, beaches were great and lots of cool dogs!

IMG_2428.jpeg

1 hour ago, Longnose said:

Nice!

I just got back from visiting singapore & thailand last week. Was an awesome trip Singapore is stellar hope you have a great time..

After spending a few weeks in SE Asia and using Grab quite a bit it sparked my interest and I needa do a deeper dive on GRAB. 

Anyone else use / do any research on GRAB as an idea? while still not profitable and looks like its had quite the sell off since going public it does appear like it has a very long runway in front of it.  We used it a lot in both Thailand and Singapore. They have a presence and visibility far above and beyond their competitors on the streets in SE Asia. 

Curious anyone elses thoughts. 

Thanks. 
Did all the “Gardens by the bay” related stuff yesterday. Awesome place. 

Since I like history I am heading to the boring fortress complex of sentosa (or what remains of them). The cannons were pointing to the sea even as the Japanese descended on Singapore from the north through Thailand and Malaysia. 

I am heading next to the Kuala Lumper, Malacca, GeorgeTown, before heading to Thailand. 

ps: I actually held GRAB. And got “SPACed and whacked” during the drawdown. 

2 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

Went to Costa Rica in October because best friend was hanging out there for a month with a family friend to help her build her resort. Air far was super cheap ($500) so I said why not? Flights were pretty long tho, ended up being about 10-12 hours through texas each way. When I got there it turns out that her "resort' was deep in the jungle on the pacific coast, it took two hours to get there from airport on mostly dirt roads. And she had been in an accident so we had to take her to physical therapy in town every morning which was a 2 hour drive over same bumpy roads. And the only time I saw the beach was on the way back for an hour or so a day. My cabin was surrounded by howler monkeys who woke me every morning at 5 AM, but fortunately my buddy was the only one with a scorpion in his room. 

So I had an amazing time. Food was outstanding, people were super friendly, beaches were great and lots of cool dogs!

IMG_2428.jpeg

Costa rica is great. 
I remember they were getting mangoes from the forest and chopping it and preparing for us. 

I stayed close to the border of Panama for a week or so. 

I guess you are American. In my case, (as Canadian) we had to pay in US dollar or “adjusted local” currency. So not exactly LatinAmerica like cheap. 

6 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

Costa rica is great. 
I remember they were getting mangoes from the forest and chopping it and preparing for us. 

I stayed close to the border of Panama for a week or so. 

I guess you are American. In my case, (as Canadian) we had to pay in US dollar or “adjusted local” currency. So not exactly LatinAmerica like cheap. 

Yep, American. And there are definitely special "gringo" prices there, it wasn't that cheap for me. But the transplants I talked to were wise to that game and lived pretty cheaply.

• 2 months later...