China

Viking

On 5/29/2024 at 10:42 AM, Castanza said:

You can also become poor with a similar rate 😉

The key is how to deal with the losers and how early your recognize them and pull the plug imo.

I think it’s important reduce the losses on losers by pulling the plug early then you can recycle your capital.

Most stocks are not clear winners or losers over a let’s say five year timeframe - there is a huge gray area in between.

Hordes of journalists do not surround people simply for “standing”.  Even in China — where your organs are harvested if your parking meter expires — you are allowed to stand.

Would have been nice if this “journalist” bothered to explain what was really happening…

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, mattee2264 said:

Who needs births when you have a never-ending labour pool of illegal immigrants to drawn on?

Yep, and they are also way cheaper, nobody has to spend money on education, school, they are fine with way lower standards of living and housing space, are fine with lower wages, disrupt union building and conformity in traditional labor jobs...it is no wonder to me why the west is such a fan of migration and it is no wonder that the native population hates it and votes right. 

Edited by Luca

6 minutes ago, formthirteen said:

Fall Downsizing of civilization:

The US population distribution is a lot more even than in Germany so you wont have that much of a problem when the "boomers" go into pension I guess. China will face the shrinking of work force with older population.

On 5/18/2024 at 2:28 PM, Luca said:

Russia has deep cultural ties with China, they share a huge border and there are countries in China with many Russian-speaking people that have close ties to Russia. It is not in China's Interest to join Washington's sanction games and hostility towards Russia so IMO they are doing just what's fine for China. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amur_Annexation

They're realists.  If Chinese government weren't in such poor relationship with the rest of the world, China would've already recovered if not negotiated the recovery of the huge land mass around Amur by now.  Why muck with a few tiny islands in the southeast when they can recover more land mass, as well as 'righting past wrongs' from past unequal treaties.

This probably summarize the CCP government's attitude the best 

https://www.voanews.com/a/ukrainian-youtuber-finds-her-ai-clone-selling-russian-goods-on-chinese-internet-/7509009.html

They're like the two prisoners in the prisoner's dilemma currently in an unstable but optimal state.  It's probably just a matter of time until it transitions to a more stable state (ironically, the more stable state is actual real instability for either countries).

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/05/politics/us-and-allies-warn-china-recruit-pilots/index.html

I am surprised China has such a 'good reputation' globally. Their actions are not of high integrity. They are using covert methods and abusing the spirit of corporate system to do some shady stuff and without even a shred of remorse. I guess 'own interest' mercantilism and nationalism taken to a freakish extreme is quite dangerous

23 hours ago, scorpioncapital said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/05/politics/us-and-allies-warn-china-recruit-pilots/index.html

I am surprised China has such a 'good reputation' globally. Their actions are not of high integrity. They are using covert methods and abusing the spirit of corporate system to do some shady stuff and without even a shred of remorse. I guess 'own interest' mercantilism and nationalism taken to a freakish extreme is quite dangerous

I do not think that China has a good reputation globally. They are an important trade partner especially for poorer countries in Africa who can’t be too picky, but I don’t think this means they are well liked.

Dictators like them because they are just like the, and don’t judge them and also give them tools (surveillance tech, weapons etc) to help them stay in power.

I was listening to a podcast with Louis-Vincent Gave yesterday. He said that China now does more trade with Southeast Asia than it does with the US. I would imagine this trend will only grow over time.

A compelling analysis of the role culture plays in China's rivalry with the west. I think we focus on the economics and overlook this factor.

In a nutshell, China views the west  as decadent and in decline (so does Russia and Iran, BTW). The CCP is trying to take advantage of this, and at the same time keep the decadent influences out of their society. Some great background on the roots of this, going back to the early 90's.

Would love to hear other's thoughts on this. Seems like China is playing their hand well, much to my dismay.

https://www.restorationbulletin.com/p/china-and-the-global-culture-war

25 minutes ago, crs223 said:

Wow.  That was depressing.

Could be disinformation meant to further divide America.   I'd be curious how a liberal views the article -- does China have it wrong?  Is the US on the right path?

Depressing indeed. With all due respect, does it matter what western liberals / conservative think? All that matters is what the CCP thinks. 

45 minutes ago, Libs said:

Depressing indeed. With all due respect, does it matter what western liberals / conservative think? All that matters is what the CCP thinks. 

I happen to agree with the article, but I wonder if it is a) disinformation designed to further divide us or b) the CCP's actual estimate of US direction.  In addition I wonder if the article is true or false.

The article states that CCP believes "white liberalism" [rough translation from Chinese] has sent the USA into decline.  If "white liberals" disagree with the article, then I will suspect it is disinformation and/or false.  Maybe.  I don't know... I guess like you I'm looking for someone to provide a counter-argument to the article and I imagine that "white liberals" will be the ones to do so.

Edited by crs223

Can’t speak for the above. However, I came across the following in a number of news reports. In the last couple of years, China seem to have removed many of the saber rattlers in the army and the wolf warriors among its diplomats. Is China reining back the hawks in the military and among the diplomats to avoid a conflict? Or, are they replacing the hawks with others in preparation for a conflict?

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/chinas-xi-says-army-faces-deep-seated-problems-anti-corruption-drive-2024-06-19/

China's Xi says army faces 'deep-seated' problems in anti-corruption drive

China's President Xi Jinping said there were "deep-seated problems" in the Chinese military's politics, ideology, work style and discipline, state-run CCTV reported Wednesday, amid an ongoing military anti-corruption purge.

"There must be no hiding place for corrupt elements in the army," Xi was quoted as saying at a military political work conference this week in the northwestern city of Yanan, the founding stronghold of the Chinese Communist Party.

Also, never let a opportunity to get under the skin go to waste 🙂

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/us/dalai-lamas-legacy-will-live-on-you-will-nancy-pelosis-grim-prediction-for-xi-jinping/articleshow/111114024.cms

Dalai Lama’s legacy will live on and Xi will be gone, says Nancy Pelosi

In a strongly-worded statement on the Chinese President, Pelosi — who is part of a bipartisan delegation from the US Congress — said that the former “will be gone and nobody will give him any credit”.