China

Viking

^^^. There ya' go @Luca You can't argue your own case - so you argue with the "supposed higher authority" - namely an academic loon.

YOU are the one that posted the idiotic clip of the guy not me. Everyone can listen to the clip and decide for themselves how insane this guy is. 

So you just keep posting his credentials - and I'll remain unimpressed.

2 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

^^^. There ya' go @Luca You can't argue your own case - so you argue with the "supposed higher authority" - namely an academic loon.

YOU are the one that posted the idiotic clip of the guy not me. Everyone can listen to the clip and decide for themselves how insane this guy is. 

So you just keep posting his credentials - and I'll remain unimpressed.

I asked you to elaborate what makes him an idiot according to that clip? 

I also disagreed with you that academic credentials dont matter in political debates, they matter to me. You shared that they dont matter to you but i have a lot of respect for an academic and knowledge giant like chomsky. 

Please elaborate precisely why you think chomsky is an "academic loon".

Edited by Luca

4 minutes ago, Luca said:

I asked you to elaborate what makes him an idiot according to that clip? 

I also disagreed with you that academic credentials dont matter in political debates, they matter to me. You shared that they dont matter to you but i have a lot of respect for an academic and knowledge giant like chomsky. 

Please elaborate precisely why you think chomsky is an "academic loon".

What is your problem dude? I made it very clear.

He avoids ANY mention of why China is NOT trusted on the world stage - namely uncontrolled biological weapons and the potential coming invasion of Taiwan. Not a fucking word. Really?

Then the moron goes onto spout off about Israel intentionally poisoning 1M Palestinian children.

Why would I take a word of this guy seriously?

11 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

What is your problem dude? I made it very clear.

He avoids ANY mention of why China is NOT trusted on the world stage - namely uncontrolled biological weapons and the potential coming invasion of Taiwan. Not a fucking word. Really?

Then the moron goes onto spout off about Israel intentionally poisoning 1M Palestinian children.

Why would I take a word of this guy seriously?

And I have replied to these two things, his comments regarding Pelosis Visit and the Situation around Taiwan are also actually quite interesting. I disagree with your "biological weapons" and also how you asses China with Taiwan. I also disagree with your comments about Chomsky. Why is it necessary for you to insult him so much, you can also just state your disagreements. 

Lets agree to disagree and move on 🙂

Chomsky (to his credit) was on a conservative talk show  years ago, and after a long anti- U.S. rant, the host calmly said: "I'm not here to debate you, I just want clarity. So, would you say the existence of the United States of America has been a net positive or negative for the world?"

Chomsky: "Negative."

Loony indeed.

1 minute ago, Libs said:

Chomsky (to his credit) was on a conservative talk show  years ago, and after a long anti- U.S. rant, the host calmly said: "I'm not here to debate you, I just want clarity. So, would you say the existence of the United States of America has been a net positive or negative for the world?"

Chomsky: "Negative."

Loony indeed.

I wish you would provide facts of why his argument is wrong or bad instead of just commenting "loony"

1 minute ago, Luca said:

I wish you would provide facts of why his argument is wrong or bad instead of just commenting "loony"

@Luca.  Uh, you just don't want to hear this. You've made that very clear. 

Chomsky has complained about being ignored by mainstream publications such as the "New York Times," but in fact his steady stream of polemical works, like the best-selling "9-11," have made him the center of a veritable cult. In "The Anti-Chomsky Reader," editors Peter Collier and David Horowitz have assembled a set of essays that analyze Chomsky's intellectual career and the evolution of his anti-Americanism. The essays in this provocative book focus on subjects such as Chomsky's bizarre involvement with Holocaust revisionism, his apologies for Khmer Rouge tyrant Pol Pot, and his claim that America's policies in Latin America in the 1980s were comparable to Nazism. Scholar Paul Bogdanor writes about Chomsky's hatred of Israel. Ronald Radosh and David Horowitz discuss his gloating reaction to the September 11 attack.

There is your go-to source.  YOUR source, YOUR clip.

2 hours ago, Luca said:

Thanks for sharing, it looks interesting!

Sobering.

What is it about Western intellectual culture, and American academic culture in particular, that has led so many potentially talented people to turn into such blind and hate-filled critics? There is no answer in this book, but it sure makes you wonder.

https://newcriterion.com/issues/2004/9/a-disgraceful-career

2 hours ago, cubsfan said:

@Luca.  Uh, you just don't want to hear this. You've made that very clear. 

Chomsky has complained about being ignored by mainstream publications such as the "New York Times," but in fact his steady stream of polemical works, like the best-selling "9-11," have made him the center of a veritable cult. In "The Anti-Chomsky Reader," editors Peter Collier and David Horowitz have assembled a set of essays that analyze Chomsky's intellectual career and the evolution of his anti-Americanism. The essays in this provocative book focus on subjects such as Chomsky's bizarre involvement with Holocaust revisionism, his apologies for Khmer Rouge tyrant Pol Pot, and his claim that America's policies in Latin America in the 1980s were comparable to Nazism. Scholar Paul Bogdanor writes about Chomsky's hatred of Israel. Ronald Radosh and David Horowitz discuss his gloating reaction to the September 11 attack.

There is your go-to source.  YOUR source, YOUR clip.

You have never read this book and assessed its quality or legitimacy. It has some pretty bad ratings too, i will have a deeper look the coming weeks. Nothing has changed for the arguments i have been making, also not some allegedly off-topic holocaust revisionism by chomsky which is ridiculous to begin with. 

@Luca  You dug this hole yourself putting this fool up as the expert on China. You ought to be more careful with your sources. It's abundantly clear from Chomsky's own writings (in print - unfortunately for you) - that he's a radical loon.

But you continue to stick up for your hero Chomsky - your China expert.

14 hours ago, cubsfan said:

@Luca  You dug this hole yourself putting this fool up as the expert on China. You ought to be more careful with your sources. It's abundantly clear from Chomsky's own writings (in print - unfortunately for you) - that he's a radical loon.

I completely disagree with what you say 🙂

On 7/12/2023 at 3:54 PM, cubsfan said:

Chomsky is the guy who claimed Afghanistan war has cost us  $7T which is about the combined defense budget while it lasted. I checked the paper and they are extrapolating future costs somehow for the next 30 years and don't seem to discount it back.

I actually respect Chomsky but he clearly has a way with facts.

4 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

@sleepydragon Who is Fu Xiaotian and why would we care where she goes?

Qin Gang recently disappeared. He's pro-westerner, former Chinese ambassador in US. 

Rumor is this lady is charged with spying, and she and Qin has a baby. unconfirmed rumors.

The picture is showing her on a private jet (her job is just a newspaper). Her last interview was with Qin 

1 hour ago, sleepydragon said:

Qin Gang recently disappeared. He's pro-westerner, former Chinese ambassador in US. 

Rumor is this lady is charged with spying, and she and Qin has a baby. unconfirmed rumors.

The picture is showing her on a private jet (her job is just a newspaper). Her last interview was with Qin 

LOL, sounds like a soap opera. People disappear in China all the time and most of the time they later reappear. I guess it depends on how the re- education goes.

I still don’t understand how this is particularly relevant.

9 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

LOL, sounds like a soap opera. People disappear in China all the time and most of the time they later reappear. I guess it depends on how the re- education goes.

I still don’t understand how this is particularly relevant.

Is the re-education like in the movie Total Recall?

33 minutes ago, boilermaker75 said:

Is the re-education like in the movie Total Recall?

No idea. Nobody seems to talk about it afterwards. Jack Ma, Fan Bingbing and many others could tell a story but they won't. Even XJP basically underwent an re-education under Mao when his dad was disgraced from the party. I guess it "works" in some cases.

https://interestingengineering.com/innovation/core-module-small-modular-reactor-completed-china

China completes core module of world's first commercial onshore small modular reactor:

The nuclear reactor has achieved a significant milestone in its construction by completing its core module. Built by China First Heavy Industries, the core module is the most critical part of the reactor and has been built using technology developed in China.

Once completed, the reactor will produce one billion kilowatt hours of electricity annually to power 526,000 households. In addition to providing carbon-free energy, the reactor will provide additional benefits such as urban heating and cooling, steam production, and seawater desalination. This is expected to fresh water in areas where conventional reactors are not feasible.

The technology has potential offshore applications in disputed areas like the South China Sea. The country is also looking at deploying SMRs on small islands with relatively smaller populations of a few thousand people, where they will also be able to serve as a freshwater source.

The technology could also be exported to countries that are part of the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) and China's neighbors in Asia, such as the Philippines and Indonesia, with multiple islands in their geography.

Edited by Luca

Continuation from BABA thread as I think it belongs here...

You can boil the whole China investment thesis into Pragmatism versus Rigid orthodoxy of Xi (what ever crazy idea Xi has in his head ...taking on geopolitical war, tech war, education war, housing war at the same time in the middle of a freaking once in 100 year extreme economic and social event - the covid pandemic).

Xi likes to create an alternate model to the West that he thinks will be better model both for China and others. He sees himself in the Moaist mold (which any smart person would tell you is utterly stupid and has nothing to offer). He begrudgingly accepts the free market capitalism because it catches mice. He fundamentally fails to understand the Western model and this has a lot to do with his key advisor Wang Huning who thinks West is failing utterly and this is their chance to come up with the "China model" as an alternative. The problem with Xi is his model based on new made up ideas is untested and lot of the factors that go into it are interlinked and not well balanced at all. Wang takes the western model's failure and adopts the opposite but the opposite is not the answer as it breaks other things in a delicate fine balance of the Western model of freedom, property rights, free market etc.  Yes USA model is failing but it needs tweaking not an overhaul (and probably same with lot of other Western systems).

My Chinese friends decades ago expected China to open up and become more liberal and democratic as well as capitalistic. Under Xi, the first two has been reversed and there is a question mark on the third. The chances of a new model working for China that is better than the West is low (as its untested and there is no history of it) and the odds are even lower of it being adopted by others even if it works for China simply because people are not willing to give up there freedoms for long. Rich Chinese are leaving or at least have one foot outside just in case. My recent conversations with those who know China and have lived in China and are China native falls into two camps. (i) China will get prosperous because they want to be to prove model superiority. (ii) You can't trust the CCP long term because leadership has no checks and balances.

Edited by tnp20

Keep in mind that 'economic busts' are routine events; and the subsequent 'market clearing' is both highly disruptive and messy. The consequent recessions &/or depressions suck at the time, but they reliably clear the market, and usher in the next round of growth.

The less governmental interference, the more an economy resembles the natural fire cycle; more frequent, lower temperature, less intense burns, that keep down the fuel load and pests; versus the high temperature, high intensity, uncontrollable burns that take everything in their path. Economic resiliency, and anti-fragility, by burning often, and allowing it to happen.

China has made enormous strides over the last 50+ years, and the nation has a great deal to be proud of, all good. However, periodic burns didn't happen as regularly as they should have, and there is now way too much fuel on the ground. A lightning strike in the wrong place, and it could go very badly. 

Very bad news when social order is a primary metric, there is a material in-county 'bad-debt' problem, a material 'youth employment' problem, and a significantly worsening demographic. Suffer enough lightning strikes ... at least one of them is inevitably going to strike in the wrong place.

Fixable, but not without repeated doses of short-term pain, and very carefully administered! More about reliable, competent execution, versus who is in charge at the time.

SD

Edited by SharperDingaan