What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

On 6/29/2024 at 11:49 AM, nwoodman said:

This. In my opinion this video is the best version of this song by any artist (even far better than Disturbed's studio version).

On 6/29/2024 at 11:49 AM, nwoodman said:

I think it is says a lot about Disturbed that their most rated song is a cover. Saw them at a Knotfest early this year, would love to get that part of the festival back.  OG version all the way for me. 

I wasn't commenting on anything else by them, there is nothing wrong with musicians only having 1 or a couple good pieces.  I do like a few of their songs, but yes, this is their best.  There aren't a lot of remakes of excellent classic songs that improve on the original (Hendrix "All Along The Watchtower" is another one I can think of), but this is one them in my opinion.  

58 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

I wasn't commenting on anything else by them, there is nothing wrong with musicians only having 1 or a couple good pieces.  I do like a few of their songs, but yes, this is their best.  There aren't a lot of remakes of excellent classic songs that improve on the original (Hendrix "All Along The Watchtower" is another one I can think of), but this is one them in my opinion.  

Jimi did the best version of All Along the Watchtower. Plus he did it while  holding a guitar upside down!

Neil Young is a musical hero - the amount of stuff he's done!  I like to imagine he'd have got on with Charlie Munger - both free-thinking & occasional curmudgeons!

Have been recently listening again to one of my favourite grunge-era bands, The Jesus Lizard.  Incredible live act in their day.  One of their best songs was called Boilermaker, though it was years more before I discovered what it meant (not a thing in the UK!)

cc. @boilermaker75 

29 minutes ago, thowed said:

Neil Young is a musical hero - the amount of stuff he's done!  I like to imagine he'd have got on with Charlie Munger - both free-thinking & occasional curmudgeons!

Have been recently listening again to one of my favourite grunge-era bands, The Jesus Lizard.  Incredible live act in their day.  One of their best songs was called Boilermaker, though it was years more before I discovered what it meant (not a thing in the UK!)

cc. @boilermaker75 

I am not familiar with that song. I will have to check it out.

The Jam in the band's name Pearl Jam came from them attending a Neil Young with Crazy Horse concert and watching them jam on stage.

On 7/1/2024 at 6:14 AM, boilermaker75 said:

@Parsad 

You mentioned some of my favorite musicians that I listen to all the time, The Who, Led Zeppelin, and The Doors. Plus, throw in Neil Young, my absolute favorite.

Ray and Dave Davies fought even more than Liam and Noel Gallagher!

Neil Young is in a whole different category...like Dylan, Leonard Cohen or Hendrix...timeless and one of a kind! 

And three of those four had a Canadian connection or were born here...Young, Cohen and Hendrix!  And Dylan was born in Duluth, which is essentially frigid Canada!

Cheers!

On 7/1/2024 at 7:30 AM, boilermaker75 said:

I am not familiar with that song. I will have to check it out.

The Jam in the band's name Pearl Jam came from them attending a Neil Young with Crazy Horse concert and watching them jam on stage.

It's funny how these guys are the last ones standing.  Eddie is best buds with Young now.

Everyone else from the Grunge era is dead or irrelevant...other than Dave Grohl...and his music is just a shadow of what they created together at Nirvana!  

I still think Vitalogy and Nirvana's Nevermind are the best albums to come out of that era!

Cheers!

On 7/1/2024 at 9:56 PM, rkbabang said:

There aren't a lot of remakes of excellent classic songs that improve on the original (Hendrix "All Along The Watchtower" is another one I can think of), but this is one them in my opinion.  

Cool, and nice reply. In hindsight my reply was saltier than intended. Probably a little protective of S&G as it was a big part of my musical discovery (exploring Dad’s album collection).  Jeff Buckley’s version of Hallelujah is another case in point. 

On 7/2/2024 at 2:52 PM, Parsad said:

Neil Young is in a whole different category...like Dylan, Leonard Cohen or Hendrix...timeless and one of a kind! 

And three of those four had a Canadian connection or were born here...Young, Cohen and Hendrix!  And Dylan was born in Duluth, which is essentially frigid Canada!

Cheers!

I just saw two great at the Outlaw concert in Charlotte - Bob Dylan and Robert Palmer.

I like Bob Dylan as a songwriter but he is not the best live performer, imo. He sort of does his thing and mostly ignores the crowd. Amazing that he is already 83!.

On of the best performers was the opener - Celisse loves you. Quite a stage presence - a huge women with a huge voice and a mean guitar.

4 hours ago, boilermaker75 said:

@Spekulatius I too saw Dylan and actually left before the concert was over. He sometimes seemed to glare at the audience. Like I'll do what I want to do and not what you want to hear.

I prefer listening to the other Dylan, Jakob. Or others covering Dylan songs like Hendrix or Guns N'Roses.

I saw Dylan on the Rolling Thunder Review with Kinky Friedman and the Texas JewboysFriedman was wearing big furry chaps and a huge assed hat. He passed a week ago. RIP Kinky. You will be truly missed.

Edited by DooDiligence