What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

6 hours ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:

Agree with you there, except, Small Town is objectively very bad music and the only reason it is even on the charts is because of the controversy it stirred, and knowing the audience there, I'm of the opinion that Aldean did this on purpose to stay relevant. Rich Men North of Richmond is more like a libertarian/center-right song and I have seen people from both sides of the aisle enjoy it. One side for more or less the anti-control nature of the song and the other, well, because who can't relate to working for 'shit pay'.

Don't disagree with you.  But who are the "Rich Men North of Richmond"?  Basically those above the Mason Dixon line...New Yorkers, Pennsylvania, Washington, etc.  What's with the stuff on welfare recipients and their fudge cookies?  The poor eat shit, because shit is cheaper than healthy food.  Have you seen what a McDonald's hamburger costs or a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese...compare those to a bag of salad at the grocery store or a chicken rice bowl at Chipotle.  Poor people eat crappy food because crappy food for some damn reason is cheaper than healthy food!  Cheers!

12 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Don't disagree with you.  But who are the "Rich Men North of Richmond"?  Basically those above the Mason Dixon line...New Yorkers, Pennsylvania, Washington, etc.  What's with the stuff on welfare recipients and their fudge cookies?

Agreed. I think he was trying to place on emphasis on exploiting welfare, but that isn't really possible without grouping them together and bashing them. That part of the song raised eyebrows for sure, also agree with the food part, when I first came to this country I remember trying to eat healthy, cost me upwards of ~$6/meal minimum and this was peak inflation, eggs were like $20/60eggs, McDonald's Chicken burger was literally 2 for $1.99, guess what, I put on ~60lbs. Slowly losing it now but I get your point.

21 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Don't disagree with you.  But who are the "Rich Men North of Richmond"?  Basically those above the Mason Dixon line...New Yorkers, Pennsylvania, Washington, etc.  What's with the stuff on welfare recipients and their fudge cookies?  The poor eat shit, because shit is cheaper than healthy food.  Have you seen what a McDonald's hamburger costs or a box of Kraft Macaroni & Cheese...compare those to a bag of salad at the grocery store or a chicken rice bowl at Chipotle.  Poor people eat crappy food because crappy food for some damn reason is cheaper than healthy food!  Cheers!

We know exactly who he is talking about.  There is one major city just north of Richmond.

Screenshot 2023-08-17 170628.jpg

8 minutes ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:
28 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Don't disagree with you.  But who are the "Rich Men North of Richmond"?  Basically those above the Mason Dixon line...New Yorkers, Pennsylvania, Washington, etc.  What's with the stuff on welfare recipients and their fudge cookies?

Agreed. I think he was trying to place on emphasis on exploiting welfare, but that isn't really possible without grouping them together and bashing them. That part of the song raised eyebrows for sure, also agree with the food part, when I first came to this country I remember trying to eat healthy, cost me upwards of ~$6/meal minimum and this was peak inflation, eggs were like $20/60eggs, McDonald's Chicken burger was literally 2 for $1.99, guess what, I put on ~60lbs. Slowly losing it now but I get your point.

The 2 of you are missing his point completely.  No one cares what anyone eats, it is that we shouldn't be taxed to provide it.  If you are 300 lbs you don't need my money to eat, whatever it is you are eating.

Go to google type in the word "starvation" then hit images.  Almost no one collecting food stamps in the US looks like this.

Now type "300 lb woman" and hit images.  There are plenty of people on the dole who look like this.

Edited by rkbabang

14 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

The 2 of you are missing his point completely.  No one cares what anyone eats, it is that we shouldn't be taxed to provide it.  If you are 300 lbs you don't need my money to eat, whatever it is you are eating.

Go to google type in the word "starvation" then hit images.  Almost no one collecting food stamps in the US looks like this.

Now type "300 lb woman" and hit images.  There are plenty of people on the dole who look like this.

By that same token, why am I paying taxes that go to subsidize the education of your kids RK?  I don't have kids.  Why am I paying to support public schools, colleges, etc.  In fact, I don't have cancer, so why am I supporting cancer treatment clinics for your spouse or grandparent?  

Using that logic means that no one has to give two shits about anyone...not the welfare recipient, nor the coal miner.  Who's asking him to work in a coal mine?  Go get a real fucking job!  That's the sentiment.  Cheers!

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

By that same token, why am I paying taxes that go to subsidize the education of your kids RK?  I don't have kids.  Why am I paying to support public schools, colleges, etc.  In fact, I don't have cancer, so why am I supporting cancer treatment clinics for your spouse or grandparent?  

Using that logic means that no one has to give two shits about anyone...not the welfare recipient, nor the coal miner.  Who's asking him to work in a coal mine?  Go get a real fucking job!  That's the sentiment.  Cheers!

I agree with you 100%. We need an absolute separation of school and state, medicine and state, science and state, etc....  I'm glad you are coming around to my side.

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

I think just the opposite is true.  The state pretending to do these things and doing them badly gives everyone a pass to not worry about them.  If people knew there were hungry people out there who needed help and didn't think "oh well the government takes care of that sort of thing" they wouldn't be able to just live as they don't give two shits about anyone.  You would look for ways to help or at the very least for charities to give to.  You would want to know that the organizations you were giving to were doing a good job, because you would have the option of putting your money elsewhere instead.  Government is the excuse people use to not give two shits about anyone. "I pay my taxes".

On 8/16/2023 at 11:34 PM, whatstheofficerproblem said:

I'm a sucker for good song writing and passionate raw vocals. This one was right up my alley.

'Rich Men North of Richmond' Artist Turns Down $8 Million From Stunned Music Execs, Says "Nothing Special About Me" 

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/rich-men-north-richmond-artist-turns-down-8-million-stunned-music-execs-says-nothing

31 minutes ago, rkbabang said:

They/them seems like an interesting person.  Should be quite a show.

d29ce38ec849bfb4ea29fa44421f98a3.jpg

Hmmm - don't like the music:

My guess is that this is this generation Rocky horror picture show. What can I say. This commentator in youtube says it all:

@ungreth74

1 year ago

Jazmin Bean songs are much like finding a severed head gift wrapped in pink ribbons on your doorstep. You can't be sure if you're supposed to feel horrified or delighted.

This from older generation sounds better?

9 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Hmmm - don't like the music:

My guess is that this is this generation Rocky horror picture show. What can I say. This commentator in youtube says it all:

@ungreth74

1 year ago

Jazmin Bean songs are much like finding a severed head gift wrapped in pink ribbons on your doorstep. You can't be sure if you're supposed to feel horrified or delighted.

Gents, I must admit, when I first saw the title of the song I was thinking "Who the hell goes to Michigan for the winter!?", but the writing and the music convey what the artist was trying to say here in a very beautiful manner, one of the very uniquely written songs I have come across in recent times. Looks like it is time for me to go to Michigan this winter.

I'm going to Michigan for the winter
'Tween the dark and the light of the sky and the snow
Most people go south for the weather
But I just wanna be alone

While I'm waiting out your memory
Girl, the only place that I'm supposed to be
Is sittin' in a chair with a Bible or a beer
'Til my heart don't hurt no more
I'm going to Michigan for the winter

Edited by whatstheofficerproblem

On 8/18/2023 at 10:45 AM, rkbabang said:

'Rich Men North of Richmond' Artist Turns Down $8 Million From Stunned Music Execs, Says "Nothing Special About Me" 

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/rich-men-north-richmond-artist-turns-down-8-million-stunned-music-execs-says-nothing

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rich-men-north-richmond-singer-215707251.html

I stand corrected about his intentions!  Cheers!

New puppy day in our house. We named him Louis.  Obviously started our listening this evening with this one…..indeed it is.  Looking forward to laughing off every chewed  cable, shoe etc for the next year or so, but a small price to pay 😀

On 8/26/2023 at 11:05 PM, Parsad said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/rich-men-north-richmond-singer-215707251.html

Yeah, this guy’s the real deal. Just singing from his heart. Not a political hack with an agenda. I love how he disses the GOP for trying to co-opt his message and at the same time the D’s for trying to discredit him and twist what he’s saying.

On 8/26/2023 at 11:05 PM, Parsad said:

I just heard that Joe Rogan has a new 2 hour interview with him. I haven’t listened to it yet.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/68AVuziUVdUJhJZkClegOZ?si=ZnatZFaeTKCigHLZMgBUWA&context=spotify%3Ashow%3A4rOoJ6Egrf8K2IrywzwOMk

Edited by rkbabang

I would hardly call it "listening to", but by coincidence at some time ago, by conincidence, I some how managed to visit the following YouTube channel :

YouTube - Malte Marten.

Example : Sunset Meditation | 1 hour handpan music | Malte Marten.

Since then, whenever I have been working or writing, reading, I have had this music running in a background tab on the PC, or on the Iphone.

Before that first visit, I did not even know of the existence of the handpan as an instrument. 🤭

-Perhaps this may even be of value to those CoBF members with babies suffering of problems to find rest to go to sleep, hitting the quality of life for the parents, too! 🙂

Edited by John Hjorth