What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

18 hours ago, Luca said:

Anybody here into classical music? Having a nice listen at the moment, all time favourite and out of this world: 

His voice is absolutely stunning. Wow. 

Thank you for sharing.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is more than just a listen. It's a significant investment in viewing time. You'll see and hear what I consider to be some of the best cuts from a mature (and sometimes immature acting), Beatles. Listening to them hammer out the likes of Dig a Pony, Don't Let Me Down, Get Back (Billy Preston was perfect for this), and more.

Watching the dynamics between the band members and how the ever present caterwauling of Yoko Ono affected the relationships was fascinating. I love George & Ringo more than ever and am equally annoyed by that talentless plastic Ono hack.

There's also no denying the creative leadership of Paul & John. Peter Sellers makes a cameo appearance and reveals his inability to keep up with John's banter (he just stands there without any writers to help him out).

---

John:  "They died, that we might wank"

Sellers: nothing

John: "I'm talking about the Boy Scouts, who aren't allowed to masturbate. It's very tempting when you're wearing shorts. If they only wore long trousers, maybe they'd stand a chance, y'know. But I can tell you, you don't go blind, but very short-sighted".

Sellers: stands mute while thinking "lines please".

---

If you're a musician and want a deep & wide view of the creative process then this is for you. If you're just a fan and want to see a great Beatles performance then skip the first 2 DVD's and watch the finished result of their rooftop performance.

Hans Zimmer's film scores.

I'm always looking for good instrumentals since there is good research that vocals reduces how deeply you can think as decoding speech requires a lot of the brains computational power, even if it's happening subconsciously below your current focus.

1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

RIP.  It's a classic of the late early 90's.  Also it's scary that she is a few month younger than I am.

I could be famous and dead now.

Very unique style and voice.  Never got to live up to her talent...politics, rants and her son's death shortened her career.  Still managed 10 albums!  Cheers!

21 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

RIP.  It's a classic of the late early 90's.  Also it's scary that she is a few month younger than I am.

I could be famous and dead now.

Charles Munger is 99 so you could be a billionaire with many decades yet to live.

I don't listen to too much EDM, but this performance is so cool. EDM with people playing instruments and floating stages and a huge audience. I wish I could have gone to this! 

Edited by Morgan

12 minutes ago, Morgan said:

I don't listen to too much EDM, but this performance is so cool. EDM with people playing instruments and floating stages and a huge audience. I wish I could have gone to this! 

On a separate note...I met Johan Cruijff (Cruyff) when I was 10 years old.  He was one of my favorite players and at that time he was playing for the LA Aztecs in the NASL.  One of my Dad's old chemistry students, John McGrane, was now playing for the Aztec and arranged for us to go to the afterparty to meet the players.  What a memory that was!  Cheers!

17 minutes ago, Parsad said:

On a separate note...I met Johan Cruijff (Cruyff) when I was 10 years old.  He was one of my favorite players and at that time he was playing for the LA Aztecs in the NASL.  One of my Dad's old chemistry students, John McGrane, was now playing for the Aztec and arranged for us to go to the afterparty to meet the players.  What a memory that was!  Cheers!

Wow! That must have been incredible! 

55 minutes ago, Parsad said:

He was one of the best players in the world in the early 70's with the total Fussball system (from Ajax Amsterdam). I also remember that he caused the first penalty kick against the German team in the Worldcup final in 1974 creating a lead for the Netherland team (which later was won by the German team)

54 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

He was one of the best players in the world in the early 70's with the total Fussball system (from Ajax Amsterdam). I also remember that he caused the first penalty kick against the German team in the Worldcup final in 1974 creating a lead for the Netherland team (which later was won by the German team)

May have been the smoothest player to ever play football.  He looked like it was effortless and he was just dancing with the ball.  Explosive speed combined with uncanny ability to break your legs by faking you one way and going the other.  Closest example in sports would be Connor McDavid in hockey today or Michael Jordan in his day...they could just do crazy things at full speed or flight!  Cheers!

3 hours ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:

I'm a sucker for good song writing and passionate raw vocals. This one was right up my alley.

Great voice...good guitarist...couldn't care less for the lyrics! 

Read a great article on how "Small Town" and "Rich Men North of Richmond" are becoming the equivalent of gangster rap back in the 1990's, 2000's.  They catered to disenfranchised black young men and guys like Aldean and Anthony are now catering to the disenfranchised white young men.  No wonder the right wing has jumped all over these two songs and they've become party anthems. 

Whether it's gangster rap or white country poetry...it's just widening the divide and I haven't seen things like this since the 1970's!  Scary!

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Parsad said:

Read a great article on how "Small Town" and "Rich Men North of Richmond" are becoming the equivalent of gangster rap back in the 1990's, 2000's.

Agree with you there, except, Small Town is objectively very bad music and the only reason it is even on the charts is because of the controversy it stirred, and knowing the audience there, I'm of the opinion that Aldean did this on purpose to stay relevant. Rich Men North of Richmond is more like a libertarian/center-right song and I have seen people from both sides of the aisle enjoy it. One side for more or less the anti-control nature of the song and the other, well, because who can't relate to working for 'shit pay'.