Deep F______ Value

RadMan24

The best DFV video in my opinion. Also in line with the previous comments, I am not convinced many money managers in the industry do much more than this anyway.

F*cking hilarious. The reversal of the ticket in the reverse card, and shaking the 8-ball 4 times to get the answer he wanted, is amazing!

I know he's having fun with this, but I also have to wonder if this is what he did with GME 😂

Lol. Maybe I should replace my screener.co subscription with my kids banagrams.

Many money managers are not beating their indices anyways.

Random walk down wall street!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I'm not hating on everyone in the field...but the truth is that too many finance folks are too full of themselves(or just in general take themselves way too seriously) and many think they are hot shit because of how much money they make, but the truth is they dont deserve to make the money they do and its not hard doing what they do.

Look at this guy Keith....chills in his basement and has fun with it. Plenty of others have mentioned similar things...I think(although I wasnt around for those days) ERICOPOLY even talked about how he'd spend some time researching and then just go for walks on the beach...I cant say I do things much differently. Its a shame folks just dont know any better and therein lies the problem.....the system is setup so that people are not properly educated in matters relating to financial markets and investing. And I can take some good guesses as to why that is....

Shame but our laws are designed to make sure people don't learn to steward their money and think about spending and investing.  So much of our wealth is locked up so that we can't spend it until we are frail and weak, and the rules are such that this all has to be professionally managed.  People would be better off if they could use all the money they are owed (in retirement plans, pensions, and future entitlements) to pay off their mortgages and invest what they have left over carefully.  Fewer people would own stocks, but who cares?  The people with enough money leftover after paying down a house and other expenses can take the time to learn a little about investing in stocks or indices; or learn a little about actually identifying honest investment advisors.  Prices would be better and make more sense if people actually had to shop for things with their own money.  This applies to assets and goods as well.  You think maybe bandaids cost $500 at a hospital because no one -- absolutely no one, at literally any point of the supply chain -- is spending anything with their own money, and shopping around as a result? 

It's an outrage.

• 5 months later...
On 3/20/2021 at 12:09 AM, aryadhana said:

Shame but our laws are designed to make sure people don't learn to steward their money and think about spending and investing.  So much of our wealth is locked up so that we can't spend it until we are frail and weak, and the rules are such that this all has to be professionally managed.  People would be better off if they could use all the money they are owed (in retirement plans, pensions, and future entitlements) to pay off their mortgages and invest what they have left over carefully.  Fewer people would own stocks, but who cares?  The people with enough money leftover after paying down a house and other expenses can take the time to learn a little about investing in stocks or indices; or learn a little about actually identifying honest investment advisors.  Prices would be better and make more sense if people actually had to shop for things with their own money.  This applies to assets and goods as well.  You think maybe bandaids cost $500 at a hospital because no one -- absolutely no one, at literally any point of the supply chain -- is spending anything with their own money, and shopping around as a result? 

It's an outrage.

Those programs were put in place because the average American is financially illiterate and financially irresponsible. Almost no one who receives a large one time sum makes good decisions with it. Let alone over their entire lifetime to fund retirement. 

While these programs certainly have problems, they may be the least bad way to avoid the elderly living in the streets. 

Agreed on hospital costs. No one even knows the price of anything. It’s totally stupid. If I were rich enough, I’d start a hospital with all the prices for everything listed on the wall and let the customers pick if they thought an extra scan was worth it or not. Prices for all surgeries and kinds of little stuff you never think of. Transparency is crucial for competition. I’d need some way to ban lawsuits but also incentivize good patient outcomes. I’m not sure if it’s possible to ban lawsuits other than forcing arbitration. Anyways, just my two cents lol 

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, Spekulatius said:

Animal spirits are still alive:

$20M starting from $2M…

i saw that one too...what a bet and what a reward...always remember folks, for everyone of these is a guy with the opposite, 0 USD in his account and severe depression 😄 

21 minutes ago, Luca said:

i saw that one too...what a bet and what a reward...always remember folks, for everyone of these is a guy with the opposite, 0 USD in his account and severe depression 😄 

There is not one, there are probably hundred that lose all on option trades. ST option trades are zero sum games.

This fellow seems to have some serious skill if you believe his posts.

Has Keith Gill ever disclosed how much he ended up making on Gamestop? I know he claimed he was holding for quite a while after the peak, and I believe the value of his holdings peaked at $50M or so, so I'm guessing he go out a lot lower?

5 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

Has Keith Gill ever disclosed how much he ended up making on Gamestop? I know he claimed he was holding for quite a while after the peak, and I believe the value of his holdings peaked at $50M or so, so I'm guessing he go out a lot lower?

I believe this was his last update.  Hopefully he ended up with enough to pay the tax bill

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

I don't think he ever disclosed it, but he did say it was "life changing money" for his family. Some sleuths out there found that he bought a 7.8m house in Mass and has 6 luxury/sports cars (Aston, Porsche etc.) registered in his name. 

1 hour ago, Castanza said:

I don't think he ever disclosed it, but he did say it was "life changing money" for his family. Some sleuths out there found that he bought a 7.8m house in Mass and has 6 luxury/sports cars (Aston, Porsche etc.) registered in his name. 

Yea - I know he was still holding $10+ million when he went quiet and has suggested he wasn't selling

But I also believe he has disclosed that he'd taken $5-10 million off the top at different times as he rolled some of the contracts so he probably did well even if he never sold another contract and rode them down to being worthless 

4 hours ago, Castanza said:

Not quite what the next Buffett would do. Though I once knew a very astute value guy who would buy half million dollar sports cars, keep them a year, then flip them for a profit. Ultimately did not work out for him. 

9 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

Not quite what the next Buffett would do. Though I once knew a very astute value guy who would buy half million dollar sports cars, keep them a year, then flip them for a profit. Ultimately did not work out for him. 

LOL who needs to or wants to be the next Buffett? Dude make billions so he can eat at Dairy Queen and Mcdonald's. No question he is the GOAT when it comes to investing. But his lifestyle choices are no different than someone making 100k a year living in the Mid-West (maybe minus the jet). 

No clue on how much of a hole that money is burning in Roaring Kitty's pocket...7.8m house and a bunch of cars? Seems to be a little....But he did seem pretty squared away when it came to finances. I don't picture him blowing it all. Obviously we can't be sure what he made or how much he has left, but rolling short term T-Bills at max allocation (10m) every 3 months at 5.38% currently netting you ~500k isn't a bad way to live haha....I'd take half that and call it a day. 

2 minutes ago, gfp said:

what is "max allocation"?  Is that a treasury direct thing or what?

Looking at Treasury Direct it says actually says "Max Purchase"...so maybe that's actually just per transaction. If that's the case then Ol'Roaring Kitty could be sitting pretty with ~1.6m coming from t-bills....not a bad way to make a living. Although I think there are a few on this board with deep pockets likely not sitting in t-bills or fixed income. To each their own I guess.