Coronavirus

spartansaver

“what exactly is he supposed to do?”

You can’t be serious.

Telling states to reopen before they are ready? Remember “Liberate Michigan!”?

Politicizing face masks  “...Americans might wear face masks not as a way to prevent the spread of coronavirus but as a way to signal disapproval of him.”

I don’t think that Americans understand how pissed off the rest of the world is at the US.

This epidemic is a world epidemic. Allowing the virus to run rampant among 328,000,000 people is a threat to the whole world. Wouldn’t you be pissed off if the people living next to you all had Covid-19 and they just continued to go about their daily business while you bit the bullet and did everything you could to protect yourself and stop the spread?

Is there any rational person who doesn’t think Trump’s handling of Covid-19 has been deplorable?

Is it not the Presidents responsibility to lead the country and set an example? Yet his approach is to “ignore it and it will just go away”.

There is no way Trump gets a free pass on this.

Is there any rational person who doesn’t think Trump’s handling of Covid-19 has been deplorable?

There is indeed such a group. The only group that I find more deplorable than pedophiles. Trump supporters.

Apologize and delete immediately

While Vinod1's reply might be a little extreme Investor 20, I note that you avoided the question.

Most of the excess deaths from Covid are from NY and states around NY.

But that is irrelevant.  I wont call anyone a pedophile just because I disagree on an issue.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE - Recovery trial results finally out - and hopefully puts nail in coffin. Out of 4700 people randomized... HCQ did NOT lower #covid19 mortality. It anything it was trending in wrong direction. Thread:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.15.20151852v1

The mortality rate is high of about 25%. 

The number of days since symptom onset 9 days before medicine administration

On oxygen or ventilation at baseline: 67%

Many doctors who use Hydroxychloroquine say 1) It works better with Zinc, and optionally Azithromycin. 2) Works when given early but not when given later when symptoms of pneumonia have started. 

For example Dr. Harvey Risch from Yale says:

I think that there has been confusion about treating the cold versus treating the pneumonia. These medications don’t seem to work so well for treating the pneumonia. As early as possible is crucial, within the first five to six days of symptoms.

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/

I think you are on the wrong forum trying to push for HCQ+/- other agents. You are wasting everyone's and your time here. I would suggest you either talk to like minded physicians and start a trial with your design in mind and/or fund them personally with your money for this. Another option is to do a go-fund-me site to raise money for such a trial or create a social network group of like-minded people with money to pool resources for this. It is not unheard of because there are many patient and specific drug advocacy groups around that do this kind of thing in other disease areas. Also, there will be enough physicians in this country (and participants as well) that believe in this HCQ+other agent treatment and will be willing to participate/help. In-fact you can start by contacting the docs you keep citing (given the papers you keep posting).

Just to be clear, I am not being sarcastic. If you so strongly believe in this, have some skin in the game by putting your own money into it. Just like we all do when investing.

Meanwhile back at the White House, Trump has nothing better to do than to use the Oval Office to pose for pictures in front of a bunch of canned beans to make a promotion for a private company! One hundred thousand dead citizens and he uses his position to advertise canned beans.

Makin' America Great Again. More like making a laughing stock of the country.

Will we ever wake up from this satire?

HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE - Recovery trial results finally out - and hopefully puts nail in coffin. Out of 4700 people randomized... HCQ did NOT lower #covid19 mortality. It anything it was trending in wrong direction. Thread:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.15.20151852v1

The mortality rate is high of about 25%. 

The number of days since symptom onset 9 days before medicine administration

On oxygen or ventilation at baseline: 67%

Many doctors who use Hydroxychloroquine say 1) It works better with Zinc, and optionally Azithromycin. 2) Works when given early but not when given later when symptoms of pneumonia have started. 

For example Dr. Harvey Risch from Yale says:

I think that there has been confusion about treating the cold versus treating the pneumonia. These medications don’t seem to work so well for treating the pneumonia. As early as possible is crucial, within the first five to six days of symptoms.

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/

I think you are on the wrong forum trying to push for HCQ+/- other agents. You are wasting everyone's and your time here. I would suggest you either talk to like minded physicians and start a trial with your design in mind and/or fund them personally with your money for this. Another option is to do a go-fund-me site to raise money for such a trial or create a social network group of like-minded people with money to pool resources for this. It is not unheard of because there are many patient and specific drug advocacy groups around that do this kind of thing in other disease areas. Also, there will be enough physicians in this country (and participants as well) that believe in this HCQ+other agent treatment and will be willing to participate/help. In-fact you can start by contacting the docs you keep citing (given the papers you keep posting).

Just to be clear, I am not being sarcastic. If you so strongly believe in this, have some skin in the game by putting your own money into it. Just like we all do when investing.

Hydroxychloroquine, Zinc, Azithromycin are generics and widely available.  There is no profit here. Thats why WHO or government agencies are the one that should test these.

Leave vaccines, remedesivir, etc to private companies.  There is enough profit that private investors will fund them for these medicines with patents.

Scientists now believe that asymptomatic carriers are responsible for more than half of COVID cases. Do everyone around you a favor and wear a mask even if you feel perfectly fine.

Also:

The rate of cases in the US [per capita] is now 20-times higher than in the EU.

The US is not looking worse because of testing. In fact every country in Europe is now testing better than the US

The rate of positive tests in the US is now 8.7%. That's higher than all countries in Europe.

The largest European countries have a much better positive rate: Spain (1.4%), France (1.3%), Germany (0.6%), Italy (0.5%).

LOL. Reminds me of my grandparents (from Germany)  stories during WW2 when news from the war would be in the radio mostly.

Then all of a sudden no news about a certain war theatre/ battle any more. My grandma then had to switch to BBC to find out what happened ( they had a German language Channel on Longwave) which was illegal of course .

Needless to say this isn’t what winning looks like typically.

Maryland governor on his COVID experience:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/07/16/larry-hogan-trump-coronavirus/

This should not have been necessary. I’d watched as the president downplayed the outbreak’s severity and as the White House failed to issue public warnings, draw up a 50-state strategy, or dispatch medical gear or lifesaving ventilators from the national stockpile to American hospitals. Eventually, it was clear that waiting around for the president to run the nation’s response was hopeless; if we delayed any longer, we’d be condemning more of our citizens to suffering and death. So every governor went their own way, which is how the United States ended up with such a patchwork response. I did the best I could for Maryland. Here’s what we saw and heard from Washington along the way.

He was in Davos, Switzerland, on Jan. 22, after the first American diagnosis. “Are there worries about a pandemic at this point?” asked CNBC anchor Joe Kernen.

“We have it totally under control,” Trump responded unhesitatingly. “It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.” nd off the president went for the next eight weeks. The rest of January and February were peppered with cheerful or sarcastic comments and tweets, minimizing the outbreak’s severity and the need for Americans to do much of anything.

It was jarring, the huge contrast between the experts’ warnings and the president’s public dismissals. Weren’t these the people the White House was consulting about the virus? What made the briefing even more chilling was its clear, factual tone. It was a harrowing warning of an imminent national threat, and we took it seriously — at least most of us did. It was enough to convince almost all the governors that this epidemic was going to be worse than most people realized.

Then he came out and gave one of his unscripted rally speeches that seemed to go on at least an hour too long. I don’t remember him mentioning the virus, but he talked about how much he respected President Xi Jinping of China; how much he liked playing golf with his buddy “Shinzo,” Prime Minister Abe of Japan; how well he got along with North Korean dictator Kim Jong Un.

Then, the jarring part: Trump said he really didn’t like dealing with President Moon from South Korea. The South Koreans were “terrible people,” he said, and he didn’t know why the United States had been protecting them all these years. “They don’t pay us,” Trump complained.

the president was all over the place. He avowed, falsely, that “anybody” could get a test, even as my fellow governors were desperately pleading for help on testing. Then he shifted from boasting to blame. “We inherited a very obsolete system” from the Obama administration, he claimed, conveniently ignoring the fact that his own CDC had designed the troubled U.S. testing system and that his own Food and Drug Administration had waited a full month before allowing U.S. hospital labs to develop their own tests. On March 25, the president was back to bragging again. “We now are doing more testing than anybody by far,” including South Korea, whose widespread testing program was being praised around the world. This was true in absolute numbers, since we are a much bigger country, but we’d tested far fewer per capita than the Koreans had

in late March, Trump said the issue had been dealt with. “I haven’t heard about testing for weeks,” the president insisted.

Really?

As Trump was making these comments, I was requesting his approval to conduct joint testing at the National Institutes of Health. I even called Francis Collins, the head of NIH, to make this request, but he stopped me before I could. Not to argue but to plead: “Actually, Governor,” he said, “I’m glad you called, because I was going to ask you for help.” [...] I could only shake my head at that. The federal government — a much bigger and better-funded institution, with tens of thousands of scientists and physicians in the civil service — wanted my help!

Trump soon disabused us of that expectation. On April 6, he declared that testing wasn’t Washington’s responsibility after all. “States can do their own testing,” he said. “We’re the federal government. We’re not supposed to stand on street corners doing testing.”

It was hopeless, waiting around for him. Governors were being told that we were on our own. It was sink or swim.

The scramble eventually culminated in the arrival of those half-million tests. I could finally breathe a sigh of relief: We had the tools at least to learn the scope of the outbreak.

I thought we might get a congratulatory word from the president. Trump always had a taste for bold gestures — but, apparently, only for bold gestures he could claim. The president spent much of the following Monday’s White House briefing criticizing me and dismissing what we had done. “The governor from Maryland didn’t really understand” about testing, Trump grumbled. “The governor of Maryland could’ve called Mike Pence, could’ve saved a lot of money. . . . I don’t think he needed to go to South Korea. I think he needed to get a little knowledge.”

"Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp forbids cities, counties from requiring masks as coronavirus surges in the state"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/16/kemp-georgia-mask-mandates/

WTF is wrong with these people?

Georgia in 2020.... when you're trying to be dumber than Alabama.

The people of Georgia got what the people of Georgia voted for. So is democracy.

The US Government has abdicated authority on combating Covid.

US retail stores has had to step up to fill the vacuum. Publix, Walmart, CVS, Target, Kroger, Kohl’s, Best Buy, etc. are all requiring the wearing of masks.

What a dysfunctional, gutless government.

"Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp forbids cities, counties from requiring masks as coronavirus surges in the state"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/16/kemp-georgia-mask-mandates/

WTF is wrong with these people?

They're busy:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCrAzKiBFUQ/

(when I saw this photo, I was sure it was a photoshop job after Ivanka's illegal product ad on her twitter... but this is from his official Instagram account)

The ironic thing is Trump's pandemic response could have been a huge win for him--a war triumph that would've solidified his presidency. But the problem is that he doesn't actually know how to lead or govern, and doesn't care enough about anyone else to even try to do the right thing.

You mean politicizing Goya beans isn't important right now?

Just the fact that it's illegal for government officials to endorse products is enough...

5 CFR § 2635.702 - Use of public office for private gain ("An employee shall not use his public office for...for the endorsement of any product..")

The IQ-challenged virus-collaborators strike again:

https://apnews.com/3db1db2c24ad60d215733cb7820892d5

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp is suing Atlanta to block the city from enforcing its mandate to wear a mask in public and other rules related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kemp and Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr, in a suit filed in state court late Thursday, argued that Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms has overstepped her authority and must obey Kemp’s executive orders under state law.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp is suing Atlanta to block the city from enforcing its mandate to wear a mask in public and other rules related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Kemp and Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr, in a suit filed in state court late Thursday, argued that Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms has overstepped her authority and must obey Kemp’s executive orders under state law.

WOW! They're really going all in on this. Weird!

It's a weird mentality that changing your mind is a sign of weakness, rather than a sign of learning.

The question should always be, are you changing your mind for good reasons (learned new facts, had new insight) or for bad reasons (polls are changing, following someone else, there's a new fashionable position, it's more convenient for you to think X, etc.)

It's a weird mentality that changing your mind is a sign of weakness, rather than a sign of learning.

Is it really that? Or is it this much simpler and stupider game of "whatever position you(democrat) take I(republican) have to take the other side"? A game that only seems profitable in politics.