Coronavirus

spartansaver

Trump’s campaign manager is a felon.

His deputy campaign manager is a felon.

His national security advisor is a felon.

His foreign policy advisor is a felon.

His personal lawyer is a felon.

His long time advisor is a felon.

It’s not a campaign, it’s a criminal enterprise.

:-X

What do you think would've happened without pardon power/AG saying can't be indicted by Mueller/not testifying/not allowing most witnesses/not providing financial information/not following subpoenas/no senate that doesn't do its job in trial/clearly telling his cronies they'll get pardoned if they don't cooperate with law enforcement?

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been plenty of press reports on current testing delays, but I have a personal anecdote on the issue.  A non-immediate family member of a friend had some mild but suspicious symptoms, spoke with a doctor and then got tested.  She was told it would take 5-7 days to get the results, and it's now day 6 with no results yet.  The test occurred in the DC suburbs of Virginia.  I don't know if demand for testing supplies in the currently hardest hit places (e.g., FL, AZ, TX) is lengthening testing times in other places, but it's hard to see how "test and trace" is going to be effective if it takes a week to get a test result.

Talking to another parent in my child's school and he was saying how even if there is an approved vaccine for use in US, he would wait for the European Union to also approve the vaccine before getting it for his children. He is worried that a vaccine would be approved due to political pressure in the US.

It is sad to see that the preeminent agencies in the USA that the entire world used to look up to, have been castrated due to pressure from an incompetent retard in the white house.

Trump’s campaign manager is a felon.

His deputy campaign manager is a felon.

His national security advisor is a felon.

His foreign policy advisor is a felon.

His personal lawyer is a felon.

His long time advisor is a felon.

It’s not a campaign, it’s a criminal enterprise.

:-X

What do you think would've happened without pardon power/AG saying can't be indicted by Mueller/not testifying/not allowing most witnesses/not providing financial information/not following subpoenas/no senate that doesn't do its job in trial/clearly telling his cronies they'll get pardoned if they don't cooperate with law enforcement?

I accidentally posted in the wrong thread! My mistake!

Talking to another parent in my child's school and he was saying how even if there is an approved vaccine for use in US, he would wait for the European Union to also approve the vaccine before getting it for his children. He is worried that a vaccine would be approved due to political pressure in the US.

It is sad to see that the preeminent agencies in the USA that the entire world used to look up to, have been castrated due to pressure from an incompetent retard in the white house.

Isn't that concern valid though? You can see it with the schools reopening. CDC (the place with scientists) puts out guidance on how to open the schools. The White House doesn't like the guidance. Then the CDC quickly puts out different guidance that the White House likes.

If the CDC got turned into a rubber stamping political puppet why can't the FDA become rubber stamping political puppet? This considering that the FDA has been more of a political agency that the CDC has historically been.

FL Gov...If Walmart is open, school should be open.

100% agree. One of the greatest scams of the government shut down, one that certainly many lobbying dollars supported, was the fortification of big business. It dawned on me a couple months ago while NJ was shut down. My son and I every Friday(pre Covid) used to go to the local toy store and he'd see, and play with, and pick out a toy car or truck. So a few weeks into lockdown, he noticed this hadn't happened and asked why we hadnt gone in a while. I loosely explained the world to him and he asks "where can we get toys". I thought, holy shit. Walmart and Amazon. While the little mom and pop store, with great, quality Bruder trucks and imported toys, was forced shut despite, "maybe" seeing foot traffic of 2-3 people AN HOUR. How in the world is it that in the name of public health and safety, and keeping large crowds from gathering, forcing everyone to go to a high traffic super center box store is deemed safer than simply letting a business that sees a dozen customers a day stay open? Oh, lets say only "essential" businesses. Great, but then why are the "essential" businesses allowed to sell "non essential" items? Its a total load of shit and more evidence of a crooked system. This is also, not to be confused with bars and shit like that, which is entirely different.

Similarly, I saw a taxidermist who had similar thought. "I work out of my shop, and sit by myself working on mounts all say. I might get 4-5 customers stop by, PER WEEK! Why cant I work? I have to pay my bills."

Welcome to America.

Walmart is one of the worst stores setup for handling the virus.  Here is Canada they have the entrance and exit backwards so that you have to cross people going in the opposite direction between the 1st and 2nd set of doors.  After 4 months they still haven't figure this out.  Not to mentioned they are the only large retailer in Canada that doesn't offer tap for payments and no one is cleaning off the machine between customers purchases.

Dope-O in California, now after months after already imposing lockdowns on people and business, today taking it a step further. This kind of stuff is what the market fears, not the actual virus or number of cases. Poor and indecisive governing and continuous restriction of businesses.

I am pretty sure that there have been quite a number of stupider things posted on this thread.  I would not discount what El Gato writes simply because you suspect he has an agenda.  I would posit that almost every single person posting here has an agenda and is trying to convince others that their views are correct - even you, I dare say.  In my opinion, he has been doing some very interesting work and as far as I can tell his analyses call into question many of the "common wisdom" assumptions made.  In fact, you seem to acknowledge in your own words that lockdowns were "somewhat counter-productive", no? 

The analysis, based on google mobility data (which shows actual behaviors) strongly calls into question the efficacy of social distancing.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ea9_fzOUMAER2ZT?format=jpg&name=large

But let me be explicit on my priors here:

Uncontrolled community spread causes lockdowns

Uncontrolled community spread decreases mobility

Uncontrolled community spread decreases economic activity

So he is looking at all these correlations backwards. Denmark doesn't have low infection rates despite high mobility. They have high mobility due to low infection rates.

California:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/13/california-to-close-indoor-restaurants-movie-theaters-and-bars-statewide-as-coronavirus-cases-rise.html

Texas:

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/10/greg-abbott-shutdown-texas-mask-order/

Arizona:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/29/arizona-covid-19-shutdown-rollback-bars-gyms

Florida:

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/07/06/887919782/in-miami-rolling-back-openings-to-contain-the-coronavirus-surge

If you want to get things back to normal, stop spreading your germs all over the place.

Thread on US numbers:

Also:

Japan has had less than 1000 Covid deaths. It is 12 times more densely populated than the US, and they have more elderly per capita than any other nation. They never did a complete lockdown. How did they do it? Virtually everyone wears a mask. So simple. We look ridiculous.

Looking forward to the next $Trillions coordinated by Congress and the Fed to patch up Presidential incompetence while most of the developed world moves on. He needs all the help he can get in an election year...

We’ll put the cost of all this on future generations. An ounce of prevention was worth pounds and pounds of cure, but who cares if we are making future generations pay for the cure?

“You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.” Turns out you can.

Tired of all this #Winning.

Most likely bullshit. But would be crazy if true.

It’s likely that they only count positive cases. I think the bigger problem is that people have to wait many days in FLA to get results. DesSantis better goes to work to match his rhetoric from a few weeks ago.

It is bullshit. Don't know if the tweet is deliberate misrepresentation or incompetence, but given its fox news reporter, it probably both. I would not recommend following twitter accounts of fox new reporters for accurate reporting.

See the source here (linked in the fox new article) and specifically the table from page 25 onwards for testing by laboratory -

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf

1. The testing results by lab is sorted high to low by # of tests administered and columns show # inconclusive, # of negatives and # of positives as well. It is clear that > 90% of the data is reporting correctly all numbers - inconclusive, positive and negative numbers.

2. Not only that, this is a long tail where the first 50 or so labs (page 25) account for ~ 80% of the total test results and are correctly reported.  Infact, the top lab 10 labs itself report ~ 2 million tests.

3. There are labs reporting 100% positivity (not reporting negatives - they start to show up on page 29) but they are conducting very few tests comparatively.

4. Lastly, a lot of labs have reported conducting a total of 3 tests or less (page 40 on-wards). That is a very low number of tests and it is actually quite likely that all of them turn out positive or all of them turn out negative. This is because sample size is small. In fact, many labs do report 0% positivity when # of tests are very few.

Vast majority of data is solid and of-course there are labs that do not report accurately but their influence on the data is rounding error. Thankfully the FL state health dept is still competent and not yet overtly political.

It is bullshit. Don't know if the tweet is deliberate misrepresentation or incompetence, but given its fox news reporter, it probably both. I would not recommend following twitter accounts of fox new reporters for accurate reporting.

See the source here (linked in the fox new article) and specifically the table from page 25 onwards for testing by laboratory -

http://ww11.doh.state.fl.us/comm/_partners/covid19_report_archive/state_reports_latest.pdf

1. The testing results by lab is sorted high to low by # of tests administered and columns show # inconclusive, # of negatives and # of positives as well. It is clear that > 90% of the data is reporting correctly all numbers - inconclusive, positive and negative numbers.

2. Not only that, this is a long tail where the first 50 or so labs (page 25) account for ~ 80% of the total test results and are correctly reported.  Infact, the top lab 10 labs itself report ~ 2 million tests.

3. There are labs reporting 100% positivity (not reporting negatives - they start to show up on page 29) but they are conducting very few tests comparatively.

4. Lastly, a lot of labs have reported conducting a total of 3 tests or less (page 40 on-wards). That is a very low number of tests and it is actually quite likely that all of them turn out positive or all of them turn out negative. This is because sample size is small. In fact, many labs do report 0% positivity when # of tests are very few.

Vast majority of data is solid and of-course there are labs that do not report accurately but their influence on the data is rounding error. Thankfully the FL state health dept is still competent and not yet overtly political.

I don't follow it, just saw it as a re-tweet. Makes sense though, thanks for the deep dive. There has been a lot of fake stuff going around regarding testing results as Liberty pointed out above.

Excess death data for Spain, Italy, UK, Belgium:

Also, how crazy is this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/politics/trump-administration-coronavirus-hospital-data-cdc/index.html

Hospital data on coronavirus patients will now be rerouted to the Trump administration instead of first being sent to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health and Human Services confirmed to CNN on Tuesday.

The move could make data less transparent to the public at a time when the administration is downplaying the spread of the pandemic, and threatens to undermine public confidence that medical data is being presented free of political interference.

What if this administration worked as hard at trying to contain the virus (like how almost every other country has done) instead of trying to contain information and science and play propaganda games?

Michael Caputo, the assistant secretary for public affairs at the department, confirmed the change first reported by The New York Times earlier in the day, saying in a statement that the "new faster and complete data system is what our nation needs to defeat the coronavirus and the CDC, an operating division of HHS, will certainly participate in this streamlined all-of-government response. They will simply no longer control it."

"The CDC's old hospital data gathering operation once worked well monitoring hospital information across the country, but it's an inadequate system today," Caputo said in the statement.

This is a guy you can trust and qualified in serious matters like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Caputo

Michael Raymon Caputo (born March 24, 1962)[2] is a Republican political strategist, and media consultant. In April 2020, Caputo was appointed as assistant secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services for public affairs.[1][3] Caputo moved to Russia in 1994, after the fall of the Soviet Union, and was an adviser to Boris Yeltsin. He worked for Gazprom Media in 2000 where he worked on improving the image of Vladimir Putin in the U.S.

Approaching Banana Republic status.

Are we Great Again yet?

Also, how crazy is this:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/politics/trump-administration-coronavirus-hospital-data-cdc/index.html

Hospital data on coronavirus patients will now be rerouted to the Trump administration instead of first being sent to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Department of Health and Human Services confirmed to CNN on Tuesday.

The move could make data less transparent to the public at a time when the administration is downplaying the spread of the pandemic, and threatens to undermine public confidence that medical data is being presented free of political interference.

What if this administration worked as hard at trying to contain the virus (like how almost every other country has done) instead of trying to contain information and science and play propaganda games?

Are there any numbers on beach goers for the past two months? Haven't been able to find any detailed numbers.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but the protests certainly aren't helping. An estimated 26 million people have participated.

Not advocating for Trump, but what exactly is he supposed to do when the majority of lock down orders and "mandates" come from the state level? I agree with you on the concerns of the suppression of information you listed above.

This past month and a half has been quite the catch - 22

Also, how crazy is this:

Are there any numbers on beach goers for the past two months? Haven't been able to find any detailed numbers.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but the protests certainly aren't helping. An estimated 26 million people have participated.

Not advocating for Trump, but what exactly is he supposed to do when the majority of lock down orders and "mandates" come from the state level? I agree with you on the concerns of the suppression of information you listed above.

This past month and a half has been quite the catch - 22

Poor Trump, what can he do? It is not like he is in the most powerful position in the world or anything like that.

Just a wild, wild guess, on things he could have done:

1. Maybe listen to experts. Stop giving retarded medical advice to start. I don't know injecting bleach might not be a good idea?

2. Stop politicizing wearing of masks. Ask people to take it seriously. If you want economy to get back to as close to normal as possible, masks are the vaccine we have.

3. Get behind increasing testing at a massive scale. 

4. Provide a centralized procurement platform for PPE, medical supplies, etc. Make them available to the states.

Trump has been passive aggressive on this issue. Sending a consistent message would have helped.