Coronavirus

spartansaver

“what exactly is he supposed to do?”

You can’t be serious.

Telling states to reopen before they are ready? Remember “Liberate Michigan!”?

Politicizing face masks  “...Americans might wear face masks not as a way to prevent the spread of coronavirus but as a way to signal disapproval of him.”

I don’t think that Americans understand how pissed off the rest of the world is at the US.

This epidemic is a world epidemic. Allowing the virus to run rampant among 328,000,000 people is a threat to the whole world. Wouldn’t you be pissed off if the people living next to you all had Covid-19 and they just continued to go about their daily business while you bit the bullet and did everything you could to protect yourself and stop the spread?

Is there any rational person who doesn’t think Trump’s handling of Covid-19 has been deplorable?

Is it not the Presidents responsibility to lead the country and set an example. Yet his approach is to “ignore it and it will just go away”.

There is no way Trump gets a free pass on this.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can’t be serious.

Politicizing face masks  “...Americans might wear face masks not as a way to prevent the spread of coronavirus but as a way to signal disapproval of him.”

I don’t think that Americans understand how pissed off the rest of the world is at the US.

This epidemic is a world epidemic. Allowing the virus to run rampant among 328,000,000 people is a threat to the whole world. Wouldn’t you be pissed off if the people living next to you all had Covid-19 and they just continued to go about their daily business while you bit the bullet and did everything you could to protect yourself and stop the spread?

Is there any rational person who doesn’t think Trump’s handling of Covid-19 has been deplorable?

Is it not the Presidents responsibility to lead the country and set an example. Yet his approach is to “ignore it and it will just go away”.

There is indeed such a group. The only group that I find more deplorable than pedophiles. Trump supporters.

I'm not sure what point they are trying to make, how deadly is the virus?

Well here are Quebec virus data.

Tests Positives Deaths Recovery
Quebec 706116 56859 5636 99.2%
Texas 2644496 250462 3112 99.88%

Goes to show that you can't use a single data point. Furthermore, I've heard for a foreign nurse friend of mine that that in France they only count Covid deaths in hospitals. So IFR would be completely different, maybe similar in Texas.

BeerBaron

Guest cherzeca

Goes to show that you can't use a single data point. Furthermore, I've heard for a foreign nurse friend of mine that that in France they only count Covid deaths in hospitals. So IFR would be completely different, maybe similar in Texas.

BeerBaron

covid one-third death rate of flu in Texas.  so hard to understand?

What am I missing? US testing seems to be in line with most other countries?

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/international-comparison

What am I missing? Deaths per million seem to be relatively inline with other countries (France, Spain and UK are worse)

https://covid19.who.int/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0rr4BRCtARIsAB0_48NQn4dKLIpwMMAMr76usaDJca2kxJ1lrZI0DKyT_HMUVIjKXRzMBdkaAr_3EALw_wcB

BeerBaron

The magnitude of testing is completely different. % of population tested for flu in 2019 is .6%; % tested for covid is 8.9%. Going by the same logic the flu has a case fatality rate of 32%. All this is saying is 6 months into the pandemic, covid-19 deaths are 1/3rd of full year seasonal flu deaths. Of course cases were not in Texas until March. So it would be more accurate to say Texas is only 4 months into the pandemic. Also this captures deaths from 1/2020 to 7/2020 which is a lagging indicator by about three weeks. Texas started to see a spike on June 15th. There are 3x as many cases today than on June 15th and non of the deaths attributable to the increase in case load is reflected in the number. So really, this is just a bullshit statistic...

Seriously, what hot sh** is this? Did you even look at this rubbage before posting? Ignoring that this is fraudulently claiming to be from TXDSHS, the data is bullshit. Please tell me how they calculated "recovery" rates?

Using latest data:

Cases reported: 275,058

Recoveries: 142,398

Recoveries/cases = 57% (my calculation)

Please save your alternative facts and propaganda for your gullible Facebook friends.

Quebec 706116 56859 5636 90.0%

BeerBaron

The magnitude of testing is completely different. % of population tested for flu in 2019 is .6%; % tested for covid is 8.9%. Going by the same logic the flu has a case fatality rate of 32%. All this is saying is 6 months into the pandemic, covid-19 deaths are 1/3rd of full year seasonal flu deaths. Of course cases were not in Texas until March. So it would be more accurate to say Texas is only 4 months into the pandemic. Also this captures deaths from 1/2020 to 7/2020 which is a lagging indicator by about three weeks. Texas started to see a spike on June 15th. There are 3x as many cases today than on June 15th and non of the deaths attributable to the increase in case load is reflected in the number. So really, this is just a bullshit statistic...

Good point, if the deaths are lagging positive by 3-4 weeks the statistic is useless. Had it been stable it could have been used.

Corrected Quebec survival rate it's not 99% but 90%! They have had huge issues with nursing homes but still many orders of

magnitude VS Texas.

BeerBaron

Seriously, what hot sh** is this? Did you even look at this rubbage before posting? Ignoring that this is fraudulently claiming to be from TXDSHS, the data is bullshit. Please tell me how they calculated "recovery" rates?

Using latest data:

Cases reported: 275,058

Recoveries: 142,398

Recoveries/cases = 57% (my calculation)

Please save your alternative facts and propaganda for your gullible Facebook friends.

Calculated: 1 - Deaths/Texas Population = 1 - 3100/29.6M  = bullshit

For some reason it's really, really important to some people that this be just like the flu. Ever hear of a recent flu season that overwhelmed hospitals? I was in London during H1N1 and it didn't even come close. Meanwhile the only systems that held this time around was... Sweden. With honorable mentions to Austria and Germany. Especially Germany which behaved admirably during the crisis.

Meanwhile Houston is starting to look shaky. And Houston apparently has the largest hospital system in the country. I did not know that.

All of this from a little flu, or even less then.  ::)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/all-hospitals-are-full-houston-overwhelmed-icus-leave-covid-19-n1233430

You can’t be serious.

There is indeed such a group. The only group that I find more deplorable than pedophiles. Trump supporters.

Apologize and delete immediately

HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE - Recovery trial results finally out - and hopefully puts nail in coffin. Out of 4700 people randomized... HCQ did NOT lower #covid19 mortality. It anything it was trending in wrong direction. Thread:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.15.20151852v1

The mortality rate is high of about 25%. 

The number of days since symptom onset 9 days before medicine administration

On oxygen or ventilation at baseline: 67%

Many doctors who use Hydroxychloroquine say 1) It works better with Zinc, and optionally Azithromycin. 2) Works when given early but not when given later when symptoms of pneumonia have started. 

For example Dr. Harvey Risch from Yale says:

I think that there has been confusion about treating the cold versus treating the pneumonia. These medications don’t seem to work so well for treating the pneumonia. As early as possible is crucial, within the first five to six days of symptoms.

https://medicine.yale.edu/news-article/25085/

HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE - Recovery trial results finally out - and hopefully puts nail in coffin. Out of 4700 people randomized... HCQ did NOT lower #covid19 mortality. It anything it was trending in wrong direction. Thread:

Many doctors who use Hydroxychloroquine say 1) It works better with Zinc, and optionally Azithromycin. 2) Works when given early but not when given later when symptoms of pneumonia have started. 

I think that there has been confusion about treating the cold versus treating the pneumonia. These medications don’t seem to work so well for treating the pneumonia. As early as possible is crucial, within the first five to six days of symptoms.

While I've got you here, what's your take on nuclear fusion? You a fan of tokamak reactors?

Why doesnt WHO just test what doctors on field say they think is working with Hydroxychloroquine?

An example is Dr. George Fareed, Harvard educated, worked at both Harvard and UCLA before starting private practice who says:

I am not only an “MD,” but a former Harvard Medical School assistant professor and UCLA School of Medicine associate professor as well and am very competent at evaluating studies. There is ample evidence now that the HCQ cocktail is effective and there is no good evidence that there are significant side effects.

In my attempts to keep people alive, I have had an opportunity to use many different types of treatments — remdesivir, dexamethasone, convalescent plasma replacement, etc. Yet, by far the best tool beyond supportive care with oxygen has been the combination of hydroxychloroquine (HCQ), with either azithromycin or doxycycline, and zinc. This "HCQ cocktail" (that costs less than $100) has enabled me to prevent patients from being admitted to the hospital, as well as help those patients that are hospitalized. The key is giving the HCQ cocktail early, within the first five days of the disease.

https://www.thedesertreview.com/opinion/letters_to_editor/local-doctor-pushing-proven-treatment-of-covid-into-national-debate/article_ca59497a-c539-11ea-8943-4f707d6ebc1a.html

Yet this recovery trial does exactly opposite.  It has high dose of HCQ on patients already on oxygen after 9 days of symptoms onset without Zinc or Azithromycin. Why?

While I've got you here, what's your take on nuclear fusion? You a fan of tokamak reactors?

I am not sure about your sarcasm.  This is serious business.

One can always prove by giving a medicine to wrong population and wrong dose that it doesnt work.  Many doctors who use HCQ say it has to be used early and with Zinc/Azithromycin.  They did exactly opposite of it. Why? Do you have explanation?

Generally antivirals dont work well after the virus has spread through the body.  Its not just for HCQ.  Read about late diagonized HIV and see if there are medicines that get rid of HIV virus after it has spread.

Saying an antiviral doesnt work after the virus has spread is dumb.

Umm.... HCQ isn't an anti-viral. It's an immunosuppressant.

I wonder why the whole medical community doesn't drop everything its doing because some dude with a family practice in the desert that provides basic said something. He's apparently treated thousands of COVID patients in a in a country with 268 hospital beds and and 28 ICU beds.

Honestly the French HCQ quack was much better! Did you just type in google "Doctor HCQ good"?

Umm.... HCQ isn't an anti-viral. It's an immunosuppressant.

I wonder why the whole medical community doesn't drop everything its doing because some dude with a family practice in the desert that provides basic said something. He's apparently treated thousands of COVID patients in a in a country with 268 hospital beds and and 28 ICU beds.

Honestly the French HCQ quack was much better! Did you just type in google "Doctor HCQ good"?

There are many more dudes. Two more dudes for example, NYU Grossman, Henry Ford

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2020/05/12/nyu-study-looks-at-hydroxychloroquine-zinc-azithromycin-combo-on-decreasing-covid-19-deaths

Researchers at NYU's Grossman School of Medicine found patients given the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine along with zinc sulphate and the antibiotic azithromycin were 44 percent less likely to die from the coronavirus.

https://www.henryford.com/news/2020/07/hydro-treatment-study

We attribute our findings that differ from other studies to early treatment,

It has antiviral properties, and also Zinc has antiviral properties

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300881

In vitro, chloroquine appears as a versatile bioactive agent reported to possess antiviral activity against RNA viruses as diverse as rabies virus [16], poliovirus [17], HIV [12,[18], [19], [20], hepatitis A virus [21,22], hepatitis C virus [23], influenza A and B viruses [24], [25], [26], [27], influenza A H5N1 virus [28], Chikungunya virus [29], [30], [31], Dengue virus [32,33], Zika virus [34], Lassa virus [35], Hendra and Nipah viruses [36,37], Crimean–Congo hemorrhagic fever virus [38] and Ebola virus [39], as well as various DNA viruses such as hepatitis B virus [40] and herpes simplex virus [41].The antiviral properties of chloroquine described in vitro have sometimes been confirmed during treatment of virus-infected patients but have not always been reproduced in clinical trials depending on the disease, the concentration of chloroquine used, the duration of treatment and the clinical team in charge of the trial.

Its not just the studies.  You are supposed to give antivirals early in infection.  Not after the virus has spread.

You can’t be serious.

Is it not the Presidents responsibility to lead the country and set an example? Yet his approach is to “ignore it and it will just go away”.

Apologize and delete immediately

While Vinod1's reply might be a little extreme Investor 20, I note that you avoided the question.

Alright dude, keep dreaming about HCQ. I can't stop you.

When you do a study, you are supposed to do it to work. 

To cite a study where an antiviral is given after the virus has spread is pretty dumb.

You can take established HIV medicines and give it after the HIV virus has spread and say they dont work.

https://www.thebodypro.com/article/deaths-due-to-late-hiv-diagnosis-still-a-problem

Deaths Due to Late HIV Diagnosis Still a Problem