Coronavirus

spartansaver

Slow day at the hospital I guess.

Yeah, some people are focussed on politics.  Strangely, nobody on this forum is talking about France.  Yesterday, France had 6,500 new cases for a country of ~65 million people.  Yesterday the United States had 29k new cases for a population of ~325m people.  Over the past week, looks like France took over the lead for the most significant covid outbreak amongst developed countries, relative to its population?  Things seem pretty manageable in Sweden these days...

So, shall we engage in a series of venomous statements about President Macron, now that France is "winning?" Is this MFGA?

SJ

Oh man. Prepare to be viciously attacked like the dozens of others who came before you; that dared present anything contrary to the narrative of the guy who got snubbed for debate team captain in high skool.

Now back to crying about Trump. I heard yet another person who dislikes him is writing a book or prepared to make a statement about how much he sucks! Libtards....go crazy!

Based on how well COVID is controlled, Dr. Dalal Holdings should move to China and enjoy President Xi's governance.  ;)

BTW China just had a big celebration yesterday regarding how well they controlled COVID vs the rest of the world, and awarded a few top doctors and policy makers for that. You just can't stop winning there. ;)

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, some people are focussed on politics.  Strangely, nobody on this forum is talking about France.  Yesterday, France had 6,500 new cases for a country of ~65 million people.  Yesterday the United States had 29k new cases for a population of ~325m people.  Over the past week, looks like France took over the lead for the most significant covid outbreak amongst developed countries, relative to its population?  Things seem pretty manageable in Sweden these days...

So, shall we engage in a series of venomous statements about President Macron, now that France is "winning?" Is this MFGA?

SJ

Oh man. Prepare to be viciously attacked like the dozens of others who came before you; that dared present anything contrary to the narrative of the guy who got snubbed for debate team captain in high skool.

Now back to crying about Trump. I heard yet another person who dislikes him is writing a book or prepared to make a statement about how much he sucks! Libtards....go crazy!

Yep. Libtards.

The guy you support to be leader of your country is literally a moron. Not only described as such by many close associates but continues to prove that everyday the latest installment being describing to Bob fucking Woodward how he knew about the legality of the coronavirus yet the went on to downplay it and lie to the country and encourage reckless behavior that led to a lot of deaths. It's not like Bobby there may have written some books that presidents didn't like or anything like that.

But sure, go with libtards.

Who relied on what Trump was saying? I certainly didnt. I dont rely on any government official or agency to advise me on how to live my life. But to each their own. Maybe drop the "lib" but people who need the government to instruct/help them in how they go about life...they are just "tards"...there was enough data to get an idea of what you needed to do to be safe, so if you didnt...well, not my problem.

Everyone with a brain knew the CDC was lying when they advised people not to wear a mask. They also understood the reason they lied was so there weren't even greater runs on supplies and that healthcare workers had supply. Same goes for stocking food/grocery stores/etc. You really, reeeeallly can't gander why?? it just might, make sense to manage the hysteria? Look at all the folks who reacted with hysteria in their approach to the markets...Now all they can do is embarrassingly say "stonks" and quote underperforming value investor adages about how the market is wrong and they are right lol. Start thinking for yourself.

Who relied on what Trump was saying? I certainly didnt. I dont rely on any government official or agency to advise me on how to live my life. But to each their own. Maybe drop the "lib" but people who need the government to instruct/help them in how they go about life...they are just "tards"...there was enough data to get an idea of what you needed to do to be safe, so if you didnt...well, not my problem.

Everyone with a brain knew the CDC was lying when they advised people not to wear a mask. They also understood the reason they lied was so there weren't even greater runs on supplies and that healthcare workers had supply. Same goes for stocking food/grocery stores/etc. You really, reeeeallly can't gander why?? it just might, make sense to manage the hysteria? Look at all the folks who reacted with hysteria in their approach to the markets...Now all they can do is embarrassingly say "stonks" and quote underperforming value investor adages about how the market is wrong and they are right lol. Start thinking for yourself.

The real question is whether the state governments were relying on what Trump was saying.  Were the governments of NY, Michigan and Illinois so complacent that they were waiting for insight from Trump before taking decisions on social distancing in their state?  Seriously, RB knows very well that both Canada and the US are federations with a vertical separation of powers.  So, what exactly were powers available to the states' (provinces') and to what extent were those sub-national jurisdictions reliant on public statements from the federal government?  Who holds the real levers of power to manage the pandemic (hint: in Canada it is not the Prime Minister)?

SJ

Based on how well COVID is controlled, Dr. Dalal Holdings should move to China and enjoy President Xi's governance.  ;)

BTW China just had a big celebration yesterday regarding how well they controlled COVID vs the rest of the world, and awarded a few top doctors and policy makers for that. You just can't stop winning there. ;)

Hey muscle--no one on here understands this virus better than you--that's for sure! I grant you an honorary doctorate. Where that herd immunity at? Still waiting...  :-X

Yep. Libtards.

The guy you support to be leader of your country is literally a moron. Not only described as such by many close associates but continues to prove that everyday the latest installment being describing to Bob fucking Woodward how he knew about the legality of the coronavirus yet the went on to downplay it and lie to the country and encourage reckless behavior that led to a lot of deaths. It's not like Bobby there may have written some books that presidents didn't like or anything like that.

But sure, go with libtards.

You let the gymnasts do what they do best! We are merely here to enjoy the show!

TBF--Trump may not be a moron after all with the latest revelation--he knew the threat for what it was, he was just lying through his teeth, mocking masks, and holding indoor rallies.

So, he is just deceitful and manipulative and crammed his supporters (incl Herman Cain) indoors without masks--so the real question is: what do you call the people who listen to/believe what Trump says? I think Trump has a word for such people: starts with an "S" and rhymes with "puckers"

Hey muscle--no one on here understands this virus better than you--that's for sure! I grant you an honorary doctorate. Where that herd immunity at? Still waiting...  :-X

We are still waiting for you to explain how effective test-and-traceback is for covid, given the numbers in Europe.  Do you remember what you were writing in March? Test, test, test, right?

SJ

We are still waiting for you to explain how effective test-and-traceback is for covid, given the numbers in Europe.  Do you remember what you were writing in March? Test, test, test, right?

SJ

Yes--clearly I am wrong--we should stop testing altogether--that will make things better: no tests, no cases!

SJ

Yes--clearly I am wrong--we should stop testing altogether--that will make things better: no tests, no cases!

You completely ignored the observations from a variety of interlocutors that pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission meant that testing would have a very limited impact on aggregate numbers. So, what is happening right now in Germany and the Netherlands?  What is going on in Canada and Italy?  Lots of tests, but transmission merrily persists for the exact reasons that you were told in March.

SJ

You guys are so right. The actions of a country's leader have no bearing on what happens in that country. Totally unimportant. It's all up to the sub-national governments.  ::)

But forget for a moment about duty to country and people for a moment. You have a leader who knows you have a highly transmissible respiratory virus that is lethal with a case fatality rate of 5% then wants to hold crowded, indoor, maskless rallies with his supporters. What do you file that under? Forget about incompetence as a national leader. He is quite literally fine to have his base supporters die so he can have a good time/good photo ops. I guess they should just take one for the team. But yea the libs are the "tards".

SJ

You completely ignored the observations from a variety of interlocutors that pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic transmission meant that testing would have a very limited impact on aggregate numbers. So, what is happening right now in Germany and the Netherlands?  What is going on in Canada and Italy?  Lots of tests, but transmission merrily persists for the exact reasons that you were told in March.

SJ

Cases are up, but so are tests. The positivity rate in those countries is much lower than what it's been in the U.S. It will be much easier to control for them and to top it all off, they are not run by leaders who are downplaying the threat, mocking masks, and holding indoor rallies.

Ehg3wO4XsAAUTtI?format=png&name=900x900

You guys are so right. The actions of a country's leader have no bearing on what happens in that country. Totally unimportant. It's all up to the sub-national governments.  ::)

But forget for a moment about duty to country and people for a moment. You have a leader who knows you have a highly transmissible respiratory virus that is lethal with a case fatality rate of 5% then wants to hold crowded, indoor, maskless rallies with his supporters. What do you file that under? Forget about incompetence as a national leader. He is quite literally fine to have his base supporters die so he can have a good time/good photo ops. I guess they should just take one for the team. But yea the libs are the "tards".

A rally that he himself attended, no? What a crazy, suicidal guy! I mean he's nearly 80 and obese. So obviously, he was himself, in one of the small few groups of individuals with whom this would be much more than a "flu" for. And yet, he did it anyway! What a patriot.

Regarding the first subject you brought up. Yea, its like basic 6th grade US history. Separation of powers. Checks and balances. But thats again, only if you are one of the tards who needs the government to tell you what to do in life...

Well, you could list the actual levers available to the federal government.  They include international travel restrictions, immigration control, decisions for the deployment of military forces, other?

And then you could list the levers available to the state governments.  They could include things like limiting the size of group gatherings, controlling the conduct of commerce within the state, preparing the health care system and managing the long-term care system. 

So which are the big levers?  Closing shopping malls, movie theatres, stores and workplaces, gyms and sporting events?  Or stopping international travellers from visiting?  It's pretty obvious which are/were the levers that can have a meaningful impact on the transmission of covid.

SJ

SJ

SJ

Cases are up, but so are tests. The positivity rate in those countries is much lower than what it's been in the U.S. It will be much easier to control for them and to top it all off, they are not run by leaders who are downplaying the threat, mocking masks, and holding indoor rallies.

Ehg3wO4XsAAUTtI?format=png&name=900x900

So, once again, explain how your test and traceback assertions from March are working out?

SJ

So, once again, explain how your test and traceback assertions from March are working out?

SJ

Lol. Deflect, Deflect, Deflect.

I'm just here to enjoy the mental gymnasts at work--surely politicizing masks, downplaying the threat, and holding indoor gatherings in no way affected R0 in the U.S.A.! There are no levers that Trump pulled the wrong way, surely!

Good night, and keep dancing for Don!

SJ

I'm just here to enjoy the mental gymnasts at work--surely politicizing masks, downplaying the threat, and holding indoor gatherings in no way affected R0 in the U.S.A.! There are no levers that Trump pulled the wrong way, surely!

Oh, I don't doubt that Trump pulled every lever that he had as badly as it could possibly be pulled.  Don't get me wrong about that.  But, his levers were far from the most influential.  It's funny that the right wing rails about how some of the northern state governors are dragging their feet on re-opening, while the left wing rails about the neglect of the southern state governors in implementing control measures in their state, and then the incurably partisan participants blame the whole works on the president, despite an obvious difference in the outcomes between the two groups of states.

SJ

SJ

Good night, and keep dancing for Don!

What is more likely to spread the virus?

A.) 35+ million protestors, rioters, and looters shouting, walking in close proximity, and crossing state lines for 3+ months straight.

B.) A handful of rallies with a few thousand individuals who probably live in rural areas.

SJ

Oh, I don't doubt that Trump pulled every lever that he had as badly as it could possibly be pulled.  Don't get me wrong about that.  But, his levers were far from the most influential.  It's funny that the right wing rails about how some of the northern state governors are dragging their feet on re-opening, while the left wing rails about the neglect of the southern state governors in implementing control measures in their state, and then the incurably partisan participants blame the whole works on the president, despite an obvious difference in the outcomes between the two groups of states.

SJ

Two things.

Reducing or eliminating testing is just plain dumb. No two ways about that.

Trump could have influenced millions to alter their behavior but he deliberately chose not to.

SJ

What is happening in Europe is interesting. Again multiple factors involved but yes politics plays a role. There is significant resurgence in the aggregate in the European Union but the average hides wide disparities. There appears to be some inverse correlation between the extent of the initial wave (eg Sweden and some others) and what is happening now but 'performance' with the first wave is also correlated. There is more testing now but the positivity rate is also going up. An argument could be made that it's better to spread the spread over time but there may be a fatigue component.

coronavirus-data-explorer-12_thumb.png

Time will also reveal more about the seasonal impact.

Based on what I am hearing from Europe, fatigue definitely plays a role, same as it does here. The second wave in Europe has been caused to a significant part by summer travel (Spain and other countries depending on tourism opened up) and it has not gone that well.

Based on what I am hearing from Europe, fatigue definitely plays a role, same as it does here. The second wave in Europe has been caused to a significant part by summer travel (Spain and other countries depending on tourism opened up) and it has not gone that well.

Exactly this.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/04/12/dr_anthony_fauci_at_this_time_there_is_no_need_to_change_your_habits_over_coronavirus.html#!

Dr. Anthony Fauci On February 29: At This Time There Is No Need To Change Your Habits Over Coronavirus

Many of you are stating what Trump knew in first week of February.  But the experts opinion in US as of February 29th is there is no change of our behavior required.

Trump audio also talks about airborne transmission as of February 7th.  Interesting that this was not agreed by Fauci till about last one month.

The herd immunity hypothesis is not broken. Georgia, FL, TX have all reopened and cases continued to trend down. NY reopened some restaurants and look stable so far.

WA, CA's total cases/ population is only half the ratio of GA, FL, TX etc so I think they will get a new wave once they reopen.

I do not have time to track all 50 states.

What part do you see that makes you think herd immunity hypothesis is at risk?

A little piece of advice to Dalal Holdings and others, Ed Secoda has a famous saying "Everybody gets what they wanted in the market". If you have myopia and laser focus on the bad side of COVID and how terrible Trump is, you will not be able to make the right calls on the market. (Same advice to die hard Trump supporters who only focus on the good things of COVID) You still get what you wanted -- endless entertainment from the most entertaining president of the US. But if you are serious about the stock market, you have to give up the exciting and entertaining portion of this process.

I've talked to really successful investors periodically and they are really smart and really humble. I don't see anyone of them who is ignorant and really proud of being ignorant.  ;)