Coronavirus

spartansaver

I don't know whether to start a new thread about this, but here goes...

Obviously all sorts of sports events have been cancelled.

Apart from this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-13/clubs-may-face-1-billion-bill-if-virus-wrecks-soccer-season

what happens about player wages?  I guess that clubs will have to pay their eye-watering salaries while they're doing nothing?  Or did a smart lawyer think of this and put something in their contracts?

I'm thinking of Manchester United, Juventus etc. for example.

Any insight appreciated.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are other possible explanations. Children, who are typically bombarded with certain other coronaviruses, such as the ones that cause the common cold, may have antibodies in their bloodstream from exposure to those that offers some cross-protection for this virus, said Dr. Buddy Creech, an associate professor of pediatric infectious diseases at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital.

Why don't authorities throughout the world bomb us with regular coronavirus cold?

For sure the US have some inoffensive coronavirus on labs that they could spread, right?

Looking forward the next "major news" announcement at 3pm. Another opportunity to sell the news.

market seems to be expecting something pretty big.

Home with one of my kids today because daycare lady is on vacation. Decided to go shopping to stock on some things after listing to Joe Rogan podcast with Michael Osterholm. I didn't go crazy but just bought some extra stuff that we'll use up either way. You could feel a mild sense of fear in the two stores I stopped at. Some shelves were in-fact empty (toilet paper and pasta to name a few). The cashier I spoke with said it has been crazy for a few days. Sales have spiked up to holiday levels. All these grocery stores and discounters will probably pay a price within 6-12 months after people have hoarded and there becomes a huge glut of inventory sitting in people's homes. Pretty amazing times.

All these grocery stores and discounters will probably pay a price within 6-12 months after people have hoarded and there becomes a huge glut of inventory sitting in people's homes. Pretty amazing times.

Nah. These people are Americans. They will throw out all they bought into garbage. Not toilet paper, but perishables (pasta, beans) pretty sure.

Apologies to people who do not throw away tons of stuff.

Pence is laying it on thick praising Trump.

The signs point to Nicki Haley being Trump’s running mate.  It was speculated back in November.

Then set up to fail and be replaced.

If the market recovers by the election, it would be really hard for Trump to let Pence go since he's now the guy "in charge" of the virus fight. It would also hurt his evangelical support.  I don't see that happening unless virus gets worse and Trump needs a fall guy.

The signs point to Nicki Haley being Trump’s running mate.  It was speculated back in November.

If the market recovers by the election, it would be really hard for Trump to let Pence go since he's now the guy "in charge" of the virus fight. It would also hurt his evangelical support.  I don't see that happening unless virus gets worse and Trump needs a fall guy.

He'll choose Haley to recruit the vote of suburban moms.  Pence is holding the coronavirus bag.  Trump is NEVER responsible for his failures.  Never.  He was raised spoiled and cannot handle blame because of it.

He'll choose Haley to recruit the vote of suburban moms.  Pence is holding the coronavirus bag.  Trump is NEVER responsible for his failures.  Never.  He was raised spoiled and cannot handle blame because of it.

He is responsible for his successes. "Which are so so many, too many to count. So many" as me might say.  :P

25th Amendment. NOW!

Commentator David Brooks makes a pretty solid argument for the removal of Donald Trump in this piece from tonight's PBS Newshour.

I would be pretty comfortable with Pence for the next year. I could imagine the cabinet and democrats supporting it. They are mostly in a high risk category and right now Trump seems to be playing Russian roulette with their lives. Many of the cabinet and Congress likely have almost a one in six chance of death based on their age and likely co-morbidity risks. For some of them this virus is likely not that much better odds than Russian roulette with one round in 6 chambers.

- Bill Gates 4 years ago on the biggest high probability risks

Thanks for posting.

Interesting is BG claims on cost of investment. You look at what the federal gov't has spent over the past few days, compare that to, if we just spent a portion the last few years. And wonder what the case in America would look like today.

I listened to the press conference and came out impressed about the mindset change underway. Finally, leadership and teamwork 101!

The doctors in the team were finally being listened to, the measures to create capacity in hospitals for COVID and via Telemedicine for non-COVID care were sincere. Testing in bulk will be available soon, drive-in is the appropriate method of testing in a lean and high throughput manner and will be helpful in longer term control - there were many pharmacy retailers who put their reputation on the line by being involved. If anyone can be trusted to build a website efficiently (and be able to track locations of those signing up for testing) it's Google. On another front, CDC and IDSA were conducting a nationwide webinar brainstorming best implementation of infection control measures which is the next frontier on the horizon.

Overall while COVID and other opportunistic risks remain I feel the tone of administration's approach has changed. Now looking for actions to match words. It may take 7-10 days before it makes an impact, and the near term news flow will remain dismal. But there seems to be hope at the end of the tunnel...

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-southkorea/south-korea-reports-more-recoveries-than-coronavirus-cases-for-the-first-time-idUKKBN210051

SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korea reported more recoveries from the coronavirus than new infections on Friday for the first time since its outbreak emerged in January, as a downward trend in daily cases raised hopes that Asia’s biggest epidemic outside China may be slowing.

The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) recorded 110 new coronavirus cases on Friday compared with 114 a day earlier, taking the national tally to 7,979. The death toll rose by five to 72 as of late Friday.

In contrast, 177 patients were released from hospitals where they had been isolated for treatment, the KCDC said.

The Churchill quote about how Americans will always do the right thing, only after they have tried everything else comes to mind. I have no love lost for this President, but I thought this was a good presser and will likely change people’s attitudes towards this virus.

My wife went to the hospital for work today and they are obviously preparing for the storm. Most patient have been moved out and every elective procedure is postponed. The hospital is eerily quiet , she said she has never seen it as quiet before. Even the lights are dimmed. The calm before the storm. Hopefully our system holds better than Italy.

My wife went to the hospital for work today and they are obviously preparing for the storm. Most patient have been moved out and every elective procedure is postponed. The hospital is eerily quiet , she said she has never seen it as quiet before. Even the lights are dimmed. The calm before the storm. Hopefully our system holds better than Italy.

Same here. I have lots of family in the medical field. A week ago the consensus was that no one knew anything and there was no plan. This week every one of them stated there were meetings, training courses, and contingency plans brought up.

In Germany, schools and Kindergarten are shut down. The main concern is not to get a repeat of Italy! With too many cases popping up in too short of a timeframe. Lots of companies there are shut down as well. Today, my sons school was shut down for a Clorox 360 cleaning, because of a pot COVID-19 case. Tonight, they sent an email that school is shut down for 2 weeks. I think we are close to a lockdown state, but I still got to go to work next week.