Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Highly recommend “Boy Swallows Universe’ - Netflix   Quirky, dark and uniquely Australian.  The 80’s soundtrack was worth it alone.  Brought back some great musical memories.  Will be watching this one again👍

On 2/23/2024 at 1:01 AM, Pauly said:

Oof. Finished watching the latest season, and what a mess it was. Incoherent plot that went nowhere and had no internal logic. Terribly written characters, pointless callbacks to the (much better) first season...I could go on and on. I'm amazed that reviews have been mostly positive. It's just not for me I suppose.

I agree.  I liked season's 1 & 3.  2 was ok, and 4 was the worst of the lot by a long way.  

I saw Dune 2 today...amazing!  Will go down as this generation's Star Wars trilogy or the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy. 

Superb special effects!  Villeneuve should have been given the reins to the last three Star War's movies.  Cheers!

39 minutes ago, Parsad said:

I saw Dune 2 today...amazing!  Will go down as this generation's Star Wars trilogy or the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy. 

Superb special effects!  Villeneuve should have been given the reins to the last three Star War's movies.  Cheers!

Saw Dune 1 and thought it was very good.  Will make sure to catch this one too.

6 minutes ago, Sweet said:

Saw Dune 1 and thought it was very good.  Will make sure to catch this one too.

Incredible!  Was nearly 3 hours long, but went by too fast.  Dune 3 will be coming following the arc of Dune Messiah...so enjoy the ride!

All the actors were wonderful in Dune 2...Javier Bardem, Austin Butler steal most of their scenes!

Cheers!

6 hours ago, Parsad said:

he certainly feels the same way 

IMG_0610.thumb.jpeg.f118a97b7cf141eba25c523deabad0a8.jpeg

Saw Dune last night. Fantastic. 

Geidi Prime was awesome. That scene was right from the book. David Lynch never bothered adapting it in his 1984 adaptation. Understandable. But Villneuve had more real estate to play with, time wise. 

What were missing were

1)Count Fenring. Though we got to see his beautiful sorcerer wife. My understanding is that an actor was chosen to play Count Fenring. Therefore there could be actual footage that were filmed but later cut. I am ok with that for the theatrical version as long as there is an Extended Edition ?

2) The Mentat was nowwhere to be seen. Again I understand that subplot not adding much, but don’t know if it was not filmed, or filmed but cut out. I need that back in !! If you please. 

3) Guild Navigators. In the book, you really get to see who has the power and it is not House Corrino. It is the Guild. They are nowhere to be seen in this movie. How dull !!

The movie rightly closes off with the coming war between the Great Houses and the usurper, which would bridge to Dune Messiah. It is important to know that military conflict was never depicted in the books and that Dune Messiah was more of a palace intrigue story. 

I would expect that Villeneuve would adapt that military conflict in his third movie, otherwise Dune Messiah would be dull third act. 

Xerxes has spoken. 

Edited by Xerxes

6 hours ago, Xerxes said:

Saw Dune last night. Fantastic. 

Geidi Prime was awesome. That scene was right from the book. David Lynch never bothered adapting it in his 1984 adaptation. Understandable. But Villneuve had more real estate to play with, time wise. 

What were missing were

1)Count Fenring. Though we got to see his beautiful sorcerer wife. My understanding is that an actor was chosen to play Count Fenring. Therefore there could be actual footage that were filmed but later cut. I am ok with that for the theatrical version as long as there is an Extended Edition ?

2) The Mentat was nowwhere to be seen. Again I understand that subplot not adding much, but don’t know if it was not filmed, or filmed but cut out. I need that back in !! If you please. 

3) Guild Navigators. In the book, you really get to see who has the power and it is not House Corrino. It is the Guild. They are nowhere to be seen in this movie. How dull !!

The movie rightly closes off with the coming war between the Great Houses and the usurper, which would bridge to Dune Messiah. It is important to know that military conflict was never depicted in the books and that Dune Messiah was more of a palace intrigue story. 

I would expect that Villeneuve would adapt that military conflict in his third movie, otherwise Dune Messiah would be dull third act. 

Xerxes has spoken. 

Also missing was Alia's role at the end of Dune 2 compared to the book...surprise on who plays a grown up Alia...won't say here!  Guessing she will be in Dune Messiah!  Cheers!

1 hour ago, Parsad said:

Also missing was Alia's role at the end of Dune 2 compared to the book...surprise on who plays a grown up Alia...won't say here!  Guessing she will be in Dune Messiah!  Cheers!

we are just happy not to deal with this comedy act from crica 2000

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

As a young boy, I always imagined what it would be like to live in a mall!  Well, this documentary describes it.  Cheers!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/eight-friends-built-secret-apartment-170407835.html

I remember seeing a crime show that had a story about a guy that did this in Toys R Us, wasnt the scale these fellas had and not for as long but remember thinking about it...hmmmm

Also worked in a hospital in college, had full access to the entire facility that included several buildings with basements and I had the only keys, several basements had HVAC equipment in them, warm, a little loud, but could have totally built a "nest" and as a broke college kid, save some of that rent money and buy beer LOL, obviously never did it, but the imagination def ran a little bit! 

Watched LA Confidential tonight.  Still holds up marvelously after over 25 years!  Watching a fierce, young Russell Crowe at the beginning of his career battle it out with Guy Pearce was fun!  Kevin Spacey and James Cromwell were terrific as well.  Cheers!

On 3/21/2024 at 3:33 AM, Xerxes said:

This is some serious shit

i loved all of the movies, alien original, prometheus, covenant, alien vs predator. I fear this one will be to generic, they should have done a sequel to covenant...

The old "Road House" is a classic especially for fans of Patrick Swayze, but I watched the new one tonight on Amazon Prime...and it's pretty damn good!  Unfortunately, the rest of the movie doesn't live up to the first 20-30 minutes which is awesome, but its does a good job of reinventing Dalton.  Cheers!

Just watched Kingdom Of Heaven: Director’s Cut. Loved it.

The studio felt Kingdom Of Heaven was too long and complicated for general audiences, and asked Scott to trim around 45 minutes from it. While the movie still functioned as a historical action movie, cutting out key subplots and character beats ended up making the story feel hollow.

Thankfully, the studio allowed Scott to assemble a Kingdom Of Heaven: Director’s Cut, which restored the missing 45 minutes. The difference in quality between the two versions proved shocking to critics and fans.

https://screenrant.com/kingdom-heaven-directors-cut-changes-better/

Next up, Blade Runner: The Director’s Cut.

Edited by formthirteen

On 3/23/2024 at 12:36 AM, formthirteen said:

Thanks!  Did not know the Director's Cut existed.  Was a very good movie as is, but if additional content makes it better...I'm definitely going to watch it.  Cheers!

On 3/23/2024 at 3:36 AM, formthirteen said:

The director cut is the way to watch Kingdom of Heavens. Not that the theatrical version was any less. 

Oliver Stone’ Director Cut of Alexandre is also interesting from a movie making point of view. Not a great movie. But it is interesting to contrast it with the theatrical. 

I was never able to watch Blade Runner completely. 

The Alien franchise has also interesting Director’ Cut and Extended Editions. I recall Alien3’ extended edition made the movie far more interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...