Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

2 hours ago, Xerxes said:

May he rests in peace. 
too young !

“Ray Liotta, 'Goodfellas' star and gifted character actor, dies at 67”

He was in two of my favorite movies of all time...Goodfellas and Field of Dreams.  Both him and Kevin Costner were on such a run of great movies at that time.   

1 hour ago, Longnose said:

Alone Season 9. 

Let the hunger games begin! 

I love this show…Ive watched every season…I guess you don’t really know unless you try but I think I could give anyone a run for their money in the competition..

If you take the $500k winning potential, and even assuming they only keep half after taxes…and lets say that on avg 100 days will win or come close, give or take a week…you’re getting paid quite a bit to play in the woods. I might have a hard time keeping weight on…

For a lot of these people, even the $250k is life changing..I wonder how many have done the math…if I was broke and someone was willing to pay me $2-3K/day, they would have to drag me out of there.

Also interesting to see that the avg days to win has increased as the seasons have progressed, I wonder if that is due to better contestants or that it has been shown to be done already, like the 4 min mile…

1 hour ago, Blugolds11 said:

I love this show…Ive watched every season…I guess you don’t really know unless you try but I think I could give anyone a run for their money in the competition..

If you take the $500k winning potential, and even assuming they only keep half after taxes…and lets say that on avg 100 days will win or come close, give or take a week…you’re getting paid quite a bit to play in the woods. I might have a hard time keeping weight on…

For a lot of these people, even the $250k is life changing..I wonder how many have done the math…if I was broke and someone was willing to pay me $2-3K/day, they would have to drag me out of there.

Also interesting to see that the avg days to win has increased as the seasons have progressed, I wonder if that is due to better contestants or that it has been shown to be done already, like the 4 min mile…

The math definitely works out, especially for a lot of the contestants. What I don't understand about Alone is how frequently a number of contestants drop in the first week or so. Ostensibly these are hardened survivalists who know what they're getting into but then all of a sudden remember that they have a family they miss.

The other issue is some of the contrived restrictions placed on contestants, like abiding by very strict fishing regulations. It's supposed to be a survival scenario, and they haven't had a real meal in over a week, but oh this 10lb fish is out of season so I have to release it.

That said the scene in I believe season 6 where one of the characters manages to take down a musk ox was incredible, a truly raw moment where he put a lot on the line to succeed. 

On 5/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, Pelagic said:

The math definitely works out, especially for a lot of the contestants. What I don't understand about Alone is how frequently a number of contestants drop in the first week or so. Ostensibly these are hardened survivalists who know what they're getting into but then all of a sudden remember that they have a family they miss.

The other issue is some of the contrived restrictions placed on contestants, like abiding by very strict fishing regulations. It's supposed to be a survival scenario, and they haven't had a real meal in over a week, but oh this 10lb fish is out of season so I have to release it.

That said the scene in I believe season 6 where one of the characters manages to take down a musk ox was incredible, a truly raw moment where he put a lot on the line to succeed. 

Yeah that season was the best by far, that guy had the season won before it even started, the rest of them were on a show, for him it was just business as usual. There was also a moose shot, and a wolverine clubbed to death trying to steal meat. 

I’ve also been surprised about some of the “Soft” contestants, there was one guy that tapped the first night because he heard a bear outside. 

I cant help but wonder, if they are alone and filming themselves..if I was starving and in the running for a half mil that would change my life…if I wouldn’t just flip the camera off while I kill/eat this out of season animal, then hide the evidence. 

Another one that got me, there was one season, and I don’t remember which one…but the guy was blowing everyone away, secured food, nice shelter and had moved on from the basics, to trying to entertain himself…he made a ukulele and some other crafty stuff…and then just out of nowhere decided he was sick of being bored and was done with it…no doubt I n my mind he would have won, everyone else was still struggling with the basics and he had that taken care of in the first couple days..it was the mental part that got him. 

@Blugolds11 @Pelagic  - The caliber of contestants rises with every season in my opinion. My favorite 2 seasons so far were the Arctic. While the people there struggled it wasn't a full on starve fest. This past season (8) was hard to watch since no one was getting any food. Just watching people waste away is frustrating. 

This first episode of season 9 was awesome we have some real high caliber contestants. Also, people are already getting game which could set us up for a long run of contestants. 

I would love to go out and do a 2 week version of the show by myself. Worst comes to worst im confident I can starve for 2 weeks. My wife has asked If I would ever want to go on Alone and while I have most of the skills that I think would allow me to be a very strong contestant even as an introvert I enjoy the occasional social interaction... 

Anyway I love alone. About the only show I get crazy stoked to watch.

Also been watching stranger things 4. - Every season just gets darker... 

"Dark Waters" is streaming on Peacock. Found it pretty good.

Watches thee first few episodes of "Stranger Things" on Netflix.

New Season out for "Russian Doll". loved the first two episodes. Trippy.

"Shining Girls" on Apple TV get's better with each episode.

What a time to be alive for couch potatoes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2022 at 2:14 PM, fareastwarriors said:

Probably mentioned already but I'm really enjoying

We Own This City (HBO)

Bosch: Legacy (Prime)

I just need more episodes!

finished them both. Great stuff. 
though I prefer Bosch as a cop than private detective. 

“We Own the City” is one season only. 

On 5/31/2022 at 7:44 PM, Agrippa07 said:

I just finished Das Boot season 3. I liked how they brought in different perspectives from WW2. 

Probably already mentioned here before, Babylon Berlin is highly recommended for a 1920's look into Germany. 

Babylon Berlin (new season whenever that maybe) is the only reason why I would re-sign up for Netflix. 

where do you watch Das Boot ?

On 5/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, Spekulatius said:

"Dark Waters" is streaming on Peacock. Found it pretty good.

Watches thee first few episodes of "Stranger Things" on Netflix.

New Season out for "Russian Doll". loved the first two episodes. Trippy.

"Shining Girls" on Apple TV get's better with each episode.

What a time to be alive for couch potatoes.

“Dark” the German TV show or “Dark Waters” the movie. 

I have seen a commercial for “1899” from the producers of “Dark”. “Dark” was brilliant. 

37 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

For the Canadians here, you can watch “1883: Yellowstone prequel” on Prime by signing up for a free one month trial for Paramount+ through Prime and than blasting through it.  

I actually liked 1883 better than Yellowstone, thought the storyline was better as well as the acting, it didnt seem like they were trying so hard for the cliché cowboy one-liners, Yellowstone seemed more like a soap opera to me, vs 1883 closer to something like lonesome dove.

Of course it helps when you have Sam Elliot as a main character in a western you're pretty much guaranteed not to suck. 

Edited by Blugolds11

Just watched "What is a Woman?". It was pretty entertaining. It's fascinating watching people not really think through their positions/beliefs. 

On 6/18/2022 at 3:52 PM, Xerxes said:

Babylon Berlin (new season whenever that maybe) is the only reason why I would re-sign up for Netflix. 

where do you watch Das Boot ?

On Now TV which is the Sky's (UK) streaming service (Babylon Berlin is on Now TV as well, not on Netflix for UK/Ireland).

2 hours ago, Agrippa07 said:

On Now TV which is the Sky's (UK) streaming service (Babylon Berlin is on Now TV as well, not on Netflix for UK/Ireland).

It’s on Hulu in the US.

Das Boot didn’t do it for me and I skipped to other things after watching a few episodes.

I am currently watching “The Nightsky” and “Boys” (Amazon),  “Prehistoric planet” and “For all mankind S3” (Apple), “Tokyo Vice “ (HBO) and finishing “Stranger Things” ( Netflix).