Biggest regrets of the older posters here?

yadayada

2 hours ago, james22 said:

Nah. 

You have to work a little just to maintain your capabilities, but you certainly can.

100% - Mobility, core, low impact cardio (assault bike, rower, etc.) bodyweight exercise, heavy functional 2x a week. 

Eat less, drink less, stress less 

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer 15min mobility routine, 40min workout (starting strength type), 10min stretch work. 3 times a week, the other 4 days I leave out the strength work.

Cardio is overrated, just walk. 😉

Failed consistently meditating though... Really should give that a try again.

46 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

55+ can be great if you’re healthy. Less all around responsibilities. If you are financially ok - then you realize you got maybe 25-30 years left - so you better live it up! It’s back to being a kid again.

+1 also as i age, find that in general i get less angry and irritated by small stuff. most times you brush it off

recall this keanu reeves quote - I'm at the stage in my life where I keep myself out of arguments. Even if you tell me 1+1=5. You're absolutely correct, enjoy

The thing about happiness being a U curve which bottoms in early 40s and then trends up seems to be for real. if you have reasonable health and decent finances, its not a bad time

16 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

^^^ Good for you..

"Man is too soon old, too late smart" Charlie Munger

To your credit man, you don’t look a day older than 50 so whatever you’re doing is clearly working!

37 minutes ago, Gregmal said:

To your credit man, you don’t look a day older than 50 so whatever you’re doing is clearly working!

Thanks Greg! The strength training helps turn back the clock.

Posted (edited)
On 5/28/2024 at 12:16 AM, nsx5200 said:

Regret: Not learning about health and the forces driving it from big sugar/processed food/farm until it's harder to fight it with more exercise and better diet through higher quality but more costly food.

Regret: Not discovering meditation earlier.  Could've gone through a significant chunk of my life less angry, and but it does cost time.  No need to spend for some fancy app/class but do need to be consistent to really make a difference.  To me, this was one of the many significant life-changer for me.  Once practiced past a certain point, it's bliss on tap (amongst other benefits).

+1

nsx5200, can you recommend a good book or video about meditation. How did you learn it?

"Thanks Greg! The strength training helps turn back the clock."

cubsfan, which are your best strength training exercises?

Edited by Charlie

15 minutes ago, Charlie said:

better diet through higher quality but more costly food.

Have you see the price per lb for chips and other junk… I think If you factor that in with the added healthcare and Rx costs your saving money eating higher quality food. 

19 hours ago, Paarslaars said:

Cardio is overrated, just walk. 😉

Failed consistently meditating though... Really should give that a try again.

Walking is recovery, Assault bike is work 🙃

The exercise is the meditation part imo 

3 hours ago, Charlie said:

+1

nsx5200, can you recommend a good book or video about meditation. How did you learn it?

"Thanks Greg! The strength training helps turn back the clock."

cubsfan, which are your best strength training exercises?

@Charlie   I only do 3 full body exercises for strength - squats, deadlifts, press (or bench press)

Done correctly, those 3 lifts cover everything really. @james22 and a few others are very familiar with the program Starting Strength - which was disucssed in this thread:

https://thecobf.com/forum/topic/19734-which-activities-in-life-brings-you-the-most-fun/

When I want cardio - I do the prowler, which is brutal and fast and intense. 3-5 rounds does the trick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9eV7B_-d00

I'm 70, so running doesn't work anymore - too hard on the joints.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

@Charlie   I only do 3 full body exercises for strength - squats, deadlifts, press (or bench press)

Done correctly, those 3 lifts cover everything really. @james22 and a few others are very familiar with the program Starting Strength - which was disucssed in this thread:

https://thecobf.com/forum/topic/19734-which-activities-in-life-brings-you-the-most-fun/

When I want cardio - I do the prowler, which is brutal and fast and intense. 3-5 rounds does the trick.

I agree with you, but I think there’s merit to training horizontal and downward vertical pulling directly as well. I know deadlifts train your back isometrically, but I found it wasn’t enough for me personally.

I didn't start adding direct back work until I hit a 4 plate deadlift for reps, but after doing so, back size and strength went through the roof. Also posture has never been better after training heavy, strict rows. 

Even Mark has you adding pull-ups/chin-ups in the “second part” of starting strength after you’re done deadlifting 3x per week and start alternating with powercleans/rows.

Im also younger than you and my goals when it comes to lifting aren’t necessarily health related so perhaps that makes a difference as well.

Edited by Malmqky

4 hours ago, cubsfan said:

have you faced any lower back issues due to strength training ? I started the program and hurt my lower back. Physio recommended not to do deadlifts

Possibly i am doing it wrong and should do it with a proper coach 

14 minutes ago, rohitc99 said:

have you faced any lower back issues due to strength training ? I started the program and hurt my lower back. Physio recommended not to do deadlifts

Possibly i am doing it wrong and should do it with a proper coach 

Watch some Starting Strength videos - I posted some in the other thread. I had back pain for 30 years - too much time on planes, rental cars and desks...  30 days after learning to deadlift several years ago - no more back pain, none. I have injured myself a few times - but to me it's like spraining your ankle playing basketball - it heals just fine. 

The deadlift is the easiest major lift to learn and it is important to learn how to do it correctly. Feel free to pm me - and I'll send you any.  Physios recommend not to deadlift because they have no idea how to do it. It's a fantastic excercise for everyone.

3 minutes ago, cubsfan said:

Watch some Starting Strength videos - I posted some in the other thread. I had back pain for 30 years - too much time on planes, rental cars and desks...  30 days after learning to deadlift several years ago - no more back pain, none. I have injured myself a few times - but to me it's like spraining your ankle playing basketball - it heals just fine. 

The deadlift is the easiest major lift to learn and it is important to learn how to do it correctly. Feel free to pm me - and I'll send you any.  Physios recommend not to deadlift because they have no idea how to do it. It's a fantastic excercise for everyone.

One of my great regrets is herniating a disc. I’ve worked through these issues at physical therapy, but I’ve been advised not to lift heavy again. 

I’ve tried linear progression in the 8 rep range, and I’m finding it far more difficult to add weight and stay dedicated. 

I’m really tempted to start with the bare bar and a 5 rep routine and add weight for every exercise. I’ve done very well with this before. 

I’m thinking I need to find a trainer who has experience with the back injury situation. It seems absurd to me that I can’t lift in a 5 rep range just because of this back injury. 

Posted (edited)

^^^ Those are really great links @james22

The back is far more resilent than most people think, especially if you make it strong. Strengthening the muscles that surround the spine does amazing things for your back. A weak back just invites problems. Strong back muscles SUPPORT the back and protect the spine.

It blows my mind that people think deadlifts and squats are dangerous. It's often the same people that played football when they were young - and landed on their backs 100 times with no issues. And being blocked/tackled or taken down on a basketball court is a totally UNCONTROLLED movement.

Deadlifts/Squats are CONTROLLED movements - where, if done with proper form - you are golden.

Everyone over 30 has a bad back - and will show some level of spinal degeneration.

But when you make your back strong - posture improves, back pain is eliminated, balance is improved.

Edited by cubsfan

Back pain has been an issue for me, age 48.

Not an expert, but much improvement after stretching and starting a push up regimen 50 - 100 per day.  I do sets of 20-30 push ups in my office at work. Don't have extra time to do dedicated work out routines in the gym.

Strong believer in calesthenics and now yoga.

Will be adding a pull up bar regimen shortly to help with spinal decompression and upper body strengthening.