What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Thanks GFP, a week out is often a nice sweet spot!

Good trade.  I like BRK at 193.80 and I like $600...  Either way is nice.  Its great to sell these close dated options on a Friday (before holiday weekends are even better) - even though it's all supposed to be priced in, I find that once it becomes the week of expiry, people's appetite for allowing nice premium diminishes quickly.

Wrote 5 June 15 expiration 195 strike BRKB puts for $1.20 per share

My favorite holiday week to write puts is Thanksgiving. The market doesn't move much on that Friday so it is almost like Wednesday is expiration.

Good trade.  I like BRK at 193.80 and I like $600...  Either way is nice.  Its great to sell these close dated options on a Friday (before holiday weekends are even better) - even though it's all supposed to be priced in, I find that once it becomes the week of expiry, people's appetite for allowing nice premium diminishes quickly.

Wrote 5 June 15 expiration 195 strike BRKB puts for $1.20 per share

Back at the BRK.B trough...  Looks like you might get your shares this month Boilermaker!

Yes and I wrote a couple of more puts, expiration tomorrow strike price $192.50 for $0.75 per share.

Great minds think alike, but my sell order for two at .99 each never got filled..  (same contract)

Back at the BRK.B trough...  Looks like you might get your shares this month Boilermaker!

Yes and I wrote a couple of more puts, expiration tomorrow strike price $192.50 for $0.75 per share.

Great minds think alike, but my sell order for two at .99 each never got filled..  (same contract)

I wish I had your mind, and knowledge, when it comes to investing!

I'm pretty ignorant and don't trade options myself.

What if there is a health issue with Warren or Charlie around the time of expiration and the equity is way down?

Is this a problem or are you just trading these on a shorter time frame?

Sure seems like a long time to tie up that capital in exchange for less than 10% maximum return.  I wouldn't be worried either that Berkshire will trade below 182 in a year and a half.  But there is a chance that the shares are materially higher by then and I would rather participate on the long side of a great business where I can completely defer my gains tax indefinitely.

Sometimes long dated calls on the long side are attractive, but I never sell long dated puts.  When Berkshire did it, they weren't required to post collateral.  You are.

I've been writing puts aggressively on Berkshire. My favorite is an $18 premium for $200 strike January 2020 put. Break even price $182...in 2020. Feel pretty good about that one

What if there is a health issue with Warren or Charlie around the time of expiration and the equity is way down?

That issue for being shot puts is the same issue someone would have being long BRK stock.

Yeah, what Mike said..  But it really does beg the question - how much do you think this bag of cash is going to fall [in market price] if Warren dies tomorrow?  The company starts buying their own equity in size something like 12% below the current market price.  Retains all earnings, so every passing day there is more money in the bag.  There are other things that keep me up at night, being long or synthetic long Berkshire stock at 192.50 isn't one of them.

But it really does beg the question - how much do you think this bag of cash is going to fall [in market price] if Warren dies tomorrow? 

I think you guys are overconfident. BRK has fallen 50% top to bottom 2 or 3 times in its history. It can happen again. And if Warren was dead, there's no guarantee it would recover from 50% drop. ::)

But it really does beg the question - how much do you think this bag of cash is going to fall [in market price] if Warren dies tomorrow? 

I think you guys are overconfident. BRK has fallen 50% top to bottom 2 or 3 times in its history. It can happen again. And if Warren was dead, there's no guarantee it would recover from 50% drop. ::)

0.6x (+/-) book would be AWESOME!

I'd probably mortgage my home 4 that.

You clearly forget that when stocks owned by BRK fall, book also falls.

You clearly forget that when stocks owned by BRK fall, book also falls.

I did indeed  :-[

And if it trades there chances of getting a second mortgage are probably zero.

Actually, it'd be a 1st mortgage.

But yeah, I get it that rates would probably be higher & who'd loan to a student with no income, especially when I told them what I was doing with the $$$.

I'd be more concerned if Ajit died.