What are you buying today?

LowIQinvestor

Bought last week and today (a little):

GNCMA

OTM puts on SPY, CRM, FB and AMZN (basically to protect long portfolio)

10% short on SPY as hedge

I had already written off the puts as insurance but seems like I could get some use out of them in the end. I'm still 100% long too so market direction shouldn't matter much to me.

Bought TWGP today as a merger arbitrage trade

I've been looking at Tower as well today, since I received a note from Insurance Insider about the large discount today.  I guess with so many material adverse changes already under Tower's belt, there are some that don't believe there won't be at least one more material 'oops'…  Big spread if it goes through at $3 cash by 'summer' though…

(8-k on merger)

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1289592/000119312514003005/d653094d8k.htm

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1289592/000119312514003005/0001193125-14-003005-index.htm

Added some to the SPY puts we bought a few days ago.  Portfolio is about 2/3 hedged.

Why? WSBASE has flattened out of the year and a half growth slope, but still too early to say there is a change in the trend.

Dynamics of S&P500 slope looks like a market on the verge of a crash, according to Sornette.

Fed is concerned about the development of an asset bubble, so they may not save the bacon this time.

Market cap/ GDP is high etc etc etc

In short, lots of yellow flags.

Yes, it remains a hedge. If I win I practically lose nothing. If the market keeps rising, I win a few percent less. A lot of bearish commentators from different angles (macro, value, technical,..) have been turning. Fear was much higher a year  ago.

Yes, it remains a hedge. If I win I practically lose nothing. If the market keeps rising, I win a few percent less. A lot of bearish commentators from different angles (macro, value, technical,..) have been turning. Fear was much higher a year  ago.

yes yes I agree.... btw how exactly do you hedge? with puts on an amount equal to the entire size of your portfolio?

But the same can be said for 2012 and 2013......

The above statement, honestly, seems like a contrarian flag to me.

If hedges were high probability winners, they wouldn't call them hedges.  :)

Great response.  I liked it.

Added some to the SPY puts we bought a few days ago.  Portfolio is about 2/3 hedged.

Why? WSBASE has flattened out of the year and a half growth slope, but still too early to say there is a change in the trend.

Dynamics of S&P500 slope looks like a market on the verge of a crash, according to Sornette.

Fed is concerned about the development of an asset bubble, so they may not save the bacon this time.

Market cap/ GDP is high etc etc etc

Raising cash by cutting long exposure and leverage.  Not macro related.  I want to own assets with a healthy asymmetric return profile but as prices have increased the return profiles are too balanced.  Last time I held this much cash was mid-2011.

• 2 weeks later...

yes yes I agree.... btw how exactly do you hedge? with puts on an amount equal to the entire size of your portfolio?

Yes more or less but I'm not very precise about it. For instance, yesterday I bought some GME puts despite being well hedged already. Generally I will lower my put position as it increases in value or add to them as they get worthless. Nothing fancy.

Despite the market drop today, my portfolio was up slightly today and GNCMA isn't making that particulary easy lately. :) It's typical that this kind of market move happens exactly before I leave the country for 4 weeks. Lukily I'll sometimes have access to Wifi in case we get a decent correction.

For the more able people on the board than me regarding macro impact, how big of an impact can the news of the past couple days affect global growth?

I just watched Moynihan on cnbc thinks he United States will grow 3 percent and 3.6 percent for global growth.

For the more able people on the board than me regarding macro impact, how big of an impact can the news of the past couple days affect global growth?

I just watched Moynihan on cnbc thinks he United States will grow 3 percent and 3.6 percent for global growth.

What news? The only news I remember that is significant was China's PMI dropped. Market does not go straight up or down.