What a Lovely Frickin' Day!

Parsad

But you are buying hamburgers today and you will buy hamburgers next year, and the year after, etc.  Cheers!

This is good advice that people should follow.  During volatile times one thing I like to do is take a look around when I am out and about.  People are still going out to eat.  There are lines at Starbucks.  The mall is packed by us and all the restaurants full on the weekend.  The roads are jammed during rush hour.  Life goes on and isn't dependent on the vicissitudes of the market.  As Sanjeev says, this is the prelude to whatever comes next.  At the end of the day, if this is the end of the world, or the banking/financial industry is going to tank or what have you, it really doesn't matter what stocks do.  We will all be hoarding guns, ammo and canned goods anyway.  At various times in his life Ben Graham spoke to the "what next?" issue in the context of volatile times.  He often spoke and wrote about it during the cold war and the fear of nuclear attack.  I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially said that it is impossible to plan for something like a nuclear attack and the stock market will be the least of our worries, so we might as well assume it won't happen and hope for the best.  So you buy cheap and hope Mr. Market takes care of you like he has in the past.  That's all you can really do.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who makes Tums and Rolaids? Its starting to look like potential for a lot of growth there. I have a some at home, in the car, at work, in my gym bag... If this market keeps going like this I think I'll open an anti-acid stand on Wall Street and sell shares.

Best cure for upset stomach...don't watch the markets.  Go watch a movie or something if you aren't working today.  S&P500 today is nearly the exact same level it was 13 years ago in 1998...13 years ago!  It was overvalued then and it is undervalued today. 

All this volatility is simply preparation for the next bull market which is 1, 2, 5 years away...who knows.  But you are buying hamburgers today and you will buy hamburgers next year, and the year after, etc.  Cheers!

But you are buying hamburgers today and you will buy hamburgers next year, and the year after, etc.  Cheers!

This is good advice that people should follow.  During volatile times one thing I like to do is take a look around when I am out and about.  People are still going out to eat.  There are lines at Starbucks.  The mall is packed by us and all the restaurants full on the weekend.  The roads are jammed during rush hour.  Life goes on and isn't dependent on the vicissitudes of the market.  As Sanjeev says, this is the prelude to whatever comes next.  At the end of the day, if this is the end of the world, or the banking/financial industry is going to tank or what have you, it really doesn't matter what stocks do.  We will all be hoarding guns, ammo and canned goods anyway.  At various times in his life Ben Graham spoke to the "what next?" issue in the context of volatile times.  He often spoke and wrote about it during the cold war and the fear of nuclear attack.  I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially said that it is impossible to plan for something like a nuclear attack and the stock market will be the least of our worries, so we might as well assume it won't happen and hope for the best.  So you buy cheap and hope Mr. Market takes care of you like he has in the past.  That's all you can really do.

These two statements say it best.There are some great buys right now.

"S&P500 today is nearly the exact same level it was 13 years ago in 1998...13 years ago!  It was overvalued then and it is undervalued today."

why would fairfax keep a substantial equity hedge (86% as of Q2) at S&P 500 1062.5 level if markets are undervalued today at S&P 500 1150 level?

why does the Shiller PE/10 indicate a 25% overvaluation today versus historical average if the market is undervalued at current levels?

not trying to be a pain, just wanting to learn........

regards

rijk

http://www.multpl.com/

You know the markets have been volatile for the last three weeks, but it has not affected my life in any measurable way.  My net worth on paper fluctuates, but the truth is the actual underlying investments I own are significantly cheaper than anything I've owned since the bottoms in 2008/2009.  Many of those businesses are in better shape, have larger market shares, continue to generate cash, have less debt and better standards in their day-to-day operations.  What am I going to worry about?  

If the world collapses tomorrow, the last thing I'm going to worry about is my portfolio or even my home.  And if the world didn't collapse during the Great Depression, or in 1942 or during the Cold War, then I'm not worried about Europe's banking system having to pay for their mistakes.  The U.S. banking system paid for their mess, now it's Europe's turn.  At some point it will be China's turn.  That's life and we all move on day by day.

A young, terrific fund manager had lunch with me in Vancouver last week, and this business is a struggle for everyone.  So of course there are some headwinds and challenges he's facing.  I asked him one simple question:  What's the worst thing that could happen to you tomorrow if things don't go well in the fund?  Would his wife leave him...no.  Would his children be ok...yes.  Would his health deteriorate...no.  It's the same question I asked Alnesh when he got divorced.  

It always feels like the end of the world, but the truth is the end of the world only comes once for all of us.  After my father died, I eventually realized that you can always stumble and work your way through this world.  Only the end is inevitable...everything else is manageable!  This day in the markets too shall pass!   ;D  Cheers!    

"S&P500 today is nearly the exact same level it was 13 years ago in 1998...13 years ago!  It was overvalued then and it is undervalued today."

why would fairfax keep a substantial equity hedge (86% as of Q2) at S&P 500 1062.5 level if markets are undervalued today at S&P 500 1150 level?

why does the Shiller PE/10 indicate a 25% overvaluation today versus historical average if the market is undervalued at current levels?

not trying to be a pain, just wanting to learn........

regards

rijk

http://www.multpl.com/

Because Fairfax is leveraged 4 to 1 asset to equity and has over $2B in debt.  They cannot afford a 25% drop in their portfolio.  If that happened they would never be able to write business again!  Cheers!

I'm not finding as many bargains in my watch/buy list today as I did last week!  Maybe tomorrow... :)

Looks like we're not going be using any oil next year...how soon Mr. Market forgets...

Let's see, lower gas prices means more disposable income for consumers...spending improves and the economy strengthens...What a concept!

You know the markets have been volatile for the last three weeks, but it has not affected my life in any measurable way.  My net worth on paper fluctuates, but the truth is the actual underlying investments I own are significantly cheaper than anything I've owned since the bottoms in 2008/2009.  Many of those businesses are in better shape, have larger market shares, continue to generate cash, have less debt and better standards in their day-to-day operations.  What am I going to worry about?  

If the world collapses tomorrow, the last thing I'm going to worry about is my portfolio or even my home.  And if the world didn't collapse during the Great Depression, or in 1942 or during the Cold War, then I'm not worried about Europe's banking system having to pay for their mistakes.  The U.S. banking system paid for their mess, now it's Europe's turn.  At some point it will be China's turn.  That's life and we all move on day by day.

A young, terrific fund manager had lunch with me in Vancouver last week, and this business is a struggle for everyone.  So of course there are some headwinds and challenges he's facing.  I asked him one simple question:  What's the worst thing that could happen to you tomorrow if things don't go well in the fund?  Would his wife leave him...no.  Would his children be ok...yes.  Would his health deteriorate...no.  It's the same question I asked Alnesh when he got divorced.  

It always feels like the end of the world, but the truth is the end of the world only comes once for all of us.  After my father died, I eventually realized that you can always stumble and work your way through this world.  Only the end is inevitable...everything else is manageable!  This day in the markets too shall pass!   ;D  Cheers!    

Words to live by.  Great post.

Wow. Great post indeed!

I don't feel worried at all either. If we drop 30% that will just mean I'll have to wait a bit longer for intrinsic value to be reached. Actually I was worried I would be scared when markets dropped and I had little/no cash left. Turns out I am just sad I don't have any more to spend.

I'm not finding as many bargains in my watch/buy list today as I did last week!  Maybe tomorrow... :)

Some things go up, some go down even more. If something really was a bargain last week, why wouldn't it be a bargain anymore today because it went up 5%?

Guest Hester

I've personally spent the day in violent panic. If the Dow can fall 400 points in one day, what's to stop it from falling 4000 the next day? Checkmate.

Long Gold, T-bills, GNI, and dinosaur bones.

I've personally spent the day in violent panic. If the Dow can fall 400 points in one day, what's to stop it from falling 4000 the next day? Checkmate.

Hester, you remind me of the times when I was in the chess club in elementary school, and we'd all be yelling checkmate, even though it wasn't really checkmate.  The other shoe to your above comment is if the Dow can rise 400 points in a day, what's to stop it from rising 4000 the next day?  Now, checkmate!

Sold all my gold, T-bills, long financials and I pick my teeth with dinosaur bones!  ;D  Cheers!

Some poignant and wise words.  Loved it.

Guest misterstockwell

I'm happy to have mountains of cash. Actually, it felt really good to have a client call and say "thanks for having so much cash." I think we have much more pain to come. I am not even putting silly bids in yet.

Hester you're kidding right?

Maybe he has long term plans and will wait for the dinosaur bones to turn into fossil fuel.

Guest Hester

Maybe he has long term plans and will wait for the dinosaur bones to turn into fossil fuel.

Yes I'm kidding, and that's really funny. Talk about a long term investment.

Coprolites anyone?

WSJ - Live Asian Blog comment...Interesting commentary on the looming recession

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011/08/18/live-blog-asian-markets/?mod=WSJ_markets_article_liveupdate

10:31 pm

US Oil Data Show No Sign Of Recession - Goldman Sachs

by Gurdeep Singh

Add a Comment

Crude is under pressure after the Philly Fed Index dropped to -30.7 in August, a level typically associated with a U.S. recession, Goldman Sachs analysts say in a note.

"However while the Philly Fed Survey certainly raises the risk of recession, and the downside risks to our forecasts, the oil market data continues to show no sign of recession."

They note U.S. oil demand over the past three weeks has risen to the highest levels for this time of year since before the financial crisis. The supply-demand balance remains firm despite being more than halfway through the 30 million-barrel U.S. strategic reserve release; global oil markets could face extremely tight fundamentals in 2H11 if a recession is avoided; market data continue to suggest that the trajectory for crude prices is higher into 2012.