StarLink - Anyone? - Available at your location? - Are you interested? - Etc.

John Hjorth

Star Link website.

I've never visited the website before a few days ago, but I have naturally followed the project on distance during the years via other sources.

Visiting the first time, I got to the page - like you likely do also : "Order Starlink". Tried to type actual address in "Service Address" also, followed by pressing the "Order" button.

No sweat! : Even experienced autofill on this households relatively obscure address on the border between this city called Odense and its rural surroundings, the city being the third largest city in Denmark in the middle of nowhere [and tiny], to the west from Copenhagen, located at the center of the Danish island called Funen. You may perhaps know the Danish poet Hans Christian Andersen better. This is the city, where he was born.

Price Danish option "Own" [lowest configuration] : DKK 485.00/mo for service and DKK 3,400.00 for hardware.

Price Danish option "Rent" [lowest configuration] : DKK 485.00/mo for service, DKK 112.00/mo for hardware rental & DKK 370.00 activation charge.

[DKK 7 ~ USD 1].

- - - o 0 o - - -

I would like to read here whatever thoughts, experiences etc. my fellow CoBF  board members might have and would want to share in this topic with us all. Thank you very much in advance.

My buddies in the country (rural Midwest) all switched to Starlink. Cheaper and far faster/more reliable than the local ISPs they were forced to use before. For reference, one of the aforementioned individuals was paying $80ish per month for a 10gb datacap and dial-up type speeds irrc.

I personally don’t use Starlink, but I think people are missing how game changing it is for rural areas.

sidenote: I also know someone who is using Starlink for internet while they travel the country in an RV. Pretty cool use case.

My neighbor (I'm in Minnesota) has it and likes it. We're about 30 miles from Minneapolis/St. Paul and internet service has always been poor in this area. I recently subscribed to T Mobile 5G internet and it works good except that upload speed is really slow.

• 2 months later...

Using Starlink at my home right now. Live in a border city in Canada. 

Had terrible internet service from Bell, wired, but apparently at the end of a stretch of copper wire. Would cut out multiple times a day and very slow. 

Starlink has been transformative. 50-80bps, always connected with no drops. No issues streaming video or having a smart connected home now. A life saver.

Downsides?  Having to mount a dish to the roof with an ugly wire coming down the wall into the basement.  Cost is expensive at $150/mo cdn. The price of rural living I guess.

Just got off a transatlantic cruise last month where I purchased wi-fi for 2 days. I presume it was starlink and it was insanely fast especially when you consider there is absolutely nothing out there in the middle of the atlantic. I streamed quite a bit and don't think it cut out once. I was super impressed.