Angry Goldman Employee!

Parsad

1 minute ago, DooDiligence said:

It is related to user group membership.

No, I don't think it has to do with that.  Member were people grandfathered in when we switched over to Invision Forums.  Members are people who paid after we switched. 

I suspect that the two had to do with the way the database for the old members was brought over from the previous forum software and new members were integrated.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Parsad said:

Some guy using the name "Ben Dover" sent me this angry message today:

Fuck you and forcing people to pay $50 to sign up for a membership on a god damn internet forum

After your hilariously failed career as an "investor", you clearly are down on your luck and have to resort to bilking people for $$ on an internet forum. Not only are you a shitty investor, you're completely oblivious of sound business practices and are all but ensuring the death of this website.

Pathetic loser. May God have mercy on your dumbfuck soul.

Genius used his Goldman email address:  GFY@gs.com

And I'm the pathetic loser, eh!  Cheers!

Would bet my life savings this guy has a failed substack 😂

Edited by Castanza

@cameronfen, yes, you cannot view the forum unless you're a member. I first thought this was $50/month and thought I'd be missing this website. But then realized it wasn't a monthly thing, saved some money up and bought the membership. I must say, the best $50 I have ever spent. I would like it to be this way because I want the members to be small, close knit and qualitative. We cannot risk dilution, while that also comes with its cons, ever since last September, I have been gatekeeping this website pretty hard, I don't want my peers to know it, call it my competitive greed as a budding investor. It should be noted though, that I was thinking of getting CoBF access since I was 14-15 because the forum was namedropped by some of the investors I admire(d) way back when, only bought it 5 years later.

And I speak about dilution with experience, if you look at some my early posts, absolutely juvenile. That of course changed when I started to get involved in investing professionally.

Edited by whatstheofficerproblem

It might be that this person is a person that knows you (someone you know), but is too coward to tell you whatever is trying to say in your face. 

it is very odd, for a random person, to be turned off by a subscription fee, which nowadays we see everywhere. This is like sending an anonymous angry and insulting note to Reed Hastings for cracking down on password sharing. 

This person is either a teenager or someone that is jealous of your success. 

The failed investor jab is kind of telling. Another thing pointing towards a jealous peer you know in real life perhaps?

Anyways, perhaps it’s time you raise the price @Parsad. You have scrubs like me getting in after all 😉

Edited by Malmqky

22 minutes ago, Xerxes said:

It might be that this person is a person that knows you (someone you know), but is too coward to tell you whatever is trying to say in your face. 

it is very odd, for a random person, to be turned off by a subscription fee, which nowadays we see everywhere. This is like sending an anonymous angry and insulting note to Reed Hastings for cracking down on password sharing. 

This person is either a teenager or someone that is jealous of your success. 

I bet it’s a summer intern who got rejected by GS and was shorting google

Can't speak on the fees, but @Parsad it would be sweet if the merchandise section had some merch. Cups, caps, and since we have a books section, add referral links to those books so that when bought the site can make money? The Merch doesn't necessarily need to have CoBF logo on it either, could be an internal joke or wisdom from within the thread, like John Hjorth talking about the Egg or his 'kinks' or Brookfield, a 'Why buy an egg' cup would be cool. Luca's reactions to a comment maybe as a picture on a cap, or Gregmal's one liners, Spek's wise words on a shirt. Food for thought.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, sleepydragon said:

I bet it’s a summer intern who got rejected by GS and was shorting google

Rejected interns do not get access to GS mail. You have to be accepted a whole year prior and they will set up an e-mail for you a month or two before you start which would be April/May of the next year. GS recruits their interns a whole year and half before the start date as do most in finance, which I think is unfair but that would be a different discussion.

Edited by whatstheofficerproblem

30 minutes ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:

Rejected interns do not get access to GS mail

email “from addresses” can be easily forged.  Sometimes spam protection can detect this (using “SPF”).  At work we rely on “PKI signatures” to authenticate the sender.

An email can also obfuscate by setting the “sender name” to gfy@gs.com (instead of “Joe Smith”) even though the underlying “email address” is joe123@hotmail.com.  Some email programs generally display only the “sender name”.

Edited by crs223

3 hours ago, whatstheofficerproblem said:

Can't speak on the fees, but @Parsad it would be sweet if the merchandise section had some merch. Cups, caps, and since we have a books section, add referral links to those books so that when bought the site can make money? The Merch doesn't necessarily need to have CoBF logo on it either, could be an internal joke or wisdom from within the thread, like John Hjorth talking about the Egg or his 'kinks' or Brookfield, a 'Why buy an egg' cup would be cool. Luca's reactions to a comment maybe as a picture on a cap, or Gregmal's one liners, Spek's wise words on a shirt. Food for thought.

Great idea!  I didn't expand on it because I thought just sticking logos on merchandise might be too much.  But if I can tie it in to what is happening at COBF and the world, then it might be fun for everyone.  

Cheers!

3 hours ago, crs223 said:

email “from addresses” can be easily forged.  Sometimes spam protection can detect this (using “SPF”).  At work we rely on “PKI signatures” to authenticate the sender.

An email can also obfuscate by setting the “sender name” to gfy@gs.com (instead of “Joe Smith”) even though the underlying “email address” is joe123@hotmail.com.  Some email programs generally display only the “sender name”.

eMail Header Spoofing

Careful Sanjeev.

Wasn't it a year or so ago that some twit was out to get you and thought he could organize members and have you fired and take over the board? Funny how quickly he got 'disappeared' from the board 🙂 Hope you got his $50. Could be the same guy?

Or perhaps it's Cardboard and his loony ideas, still pissed about being turfed from the board?

Just for the record, and perhaps we don't say it enough, but you know that we all respect you for what you have done with this board and we all owe you our thanks.

23 minutes ago, cwericb said:

Careful Sanjeev.

Wasn't it a year or so ago that some twit was out to get you and thought he could organize members and have you fired and take over the board? Funny how quickly he got 'disappeared' from the board 🙂 Hope you got his $50. Could be the same guy?

Or perhaps it's Cardboard and his loony ideas, still pissed about being turfed from the board?

Just for the record, and perhaps we don't say it enough, but you know that we all respect you for what you have done with this board and we all owe you our thanks.

There's a workaround for issuing likes!

👍

31 minutes ago, cwericb said:

Careful Sanjeev.

Thanks!  I appreciate the sentiment. 

For many people...like Greg, Viking, me and so many others...the day isn't complete unless we're on here reading what the members are talking about.  Sure we have disagreements, but the world would be absolutely boring if we all thought the same!  And we'd probably learn very little!

Cheers!

22 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Thanks!  I appreciate the sentiment. 

For many people...like Greg, Viking, me and so many others...the day isn't complete unless we're on here reading what the members are talking about.  Sure we have disagreements, but the world would be absolutely boring if we all thought the same!  And we'd probably learn very little!

Cheers!

Totally agree! 

Totally. I could also care less about people’s performance here. It’s about the process and it’s an excellent mix with overall a very above average skew in terms of acumen. Remember when people would whine how they can’t find any good ideas here? LOLzzz

And it definitely ain’t Cardboard. Forget what exactly it was but he bought a camping park around Québec or something recently that he’s busy with. 

On 7/26/2023 at 8:23 AM, throw123 said:

What the fuck, its 50usd !!! i need to start checking my credit card statements

Wasn't it a one-time payment? I remember a one time 25$ payment like 10 years ago, can't recall any recurring payments.

In any case the credit card I used back then no longer exists so I'm not getting charged for sure. 😄