Buffett's investments in Japan

schin

8 hours ago, Thelilyinvestor said:

In my opinion, is Itochu. I believe they have more non resource companies, so their cash flows are less cyclical. I am invested since 2020 and quite happy with how management is operating the business. Consistently increasing buybacks and dividends.

Not that there is much in it but 8001.T also runs a slightly higher thru-cycle ROE.  Surprisingly resilient during COVID too.  

All the Sogo Shosha should still provide high single/low double digits.  Not that appealing in absolute terms but becomes mildly appealing if you think Japanese rates are likely to stay lower for longer.  The old boy nailed this one 👍

IMG_0832.thumb.jpeg.493ac2b696faf3d0d5ba34aebdf3e06a.jpegIMG_0833.thumb.jpeg.dca05ba88994567fc06d7a8e95e96f3d.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In this annual letter Buffett had written "Japanese companies calculate outstanding shares in a manner different from the practice in the U.S". Does any one know what is different in the way Japanese companies calculate outstanding share? (Apologies if this was discussed in another thread and I missed that, would be thankful if any points that out so I can search for the same.)

16 hours ago, bt1 said:

In this annual letter Buffett had written "Japanese companies calculate outstanding shares in a manner different from the practice in the U.S". Does any one know what is different in the way Japanese companies calculate outstanding share? (Apologies if this was discussed in another thread and I missed that, would be thankful if any points that out so I can search for the same.)

I don't know for certain, but I believe he is just referring to the practice of Japanese companies reporting their shares outstanding including treasury shares instead of the US practice of reporting shares outstanding net of any treasury shares the company owns but hasn't yet officially "cancelled."

To get an accurate share count of a Japanese company by the US GAAP understanding you would want to net out any treasury shares (repurchased shares) if the company wasn't reporting share count both ways.  Most of these companies, at least in the English filings, are showing the share count both ways and regularly updating their share repurchase activity by press release.

An amusing illustration in the US would be Biglari Holdings which has an official share count (including all GAAP treasury shares the company owns in itself through LP interests) and a GAAP share count that nets out the shares the company owns in itself as treasury shares.  It is a big difference in Biglari Holdings' case.  Since this is unusual in the US, it causes quite a bit of confusion on what the actual market cap / valuation of the firm is.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, yesman182 said:

I don't know what he will buy, probably more of what he already owns. I doubt he is raising this money, just for the sake of raising the money. 

@yesman182,

Yeah. As if Mr. Buffett did not already have access to lot of cash and cash equivalents.

Buffett is smart. The best time to raise money is when you don't need it. Especially if it costs 1%. That said yeah I agree he is probably buying more Japanese equities.