I'm Sad!

Parsad

19 hours ago, cheapguy said:

Royal family members still are enjoying the ill gotten money  from slavery and genocide they did in the lands they occupied. God will put them in Hell for crimes done in their name.

Wouldn't that apply to probably at least of 10% of current U.S. citizens who go back 5 generations or more?  What about 15% of Germans who go back 3 generations to the Holocaust?  At some point, people have to accept that history was violent, unfair and certainly not Christian. 

My family were indentured laborers taken to Fiji from India 5 generations ago.  I'm not blaming the Queen for that, as she had nothing to do with it.  Hate only leads to more violence and constrains the generations going forward.  Cheers!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Parsad said:

Wouldn't that apply to probably at least of 10% of current U.S. citizens who go back 5 generations or more?  What about 15% of Germans who go back 3 generations to the Holocaust?  At some point, people have to accept that history was violent, unfair and certainly not Christian. 

My family were indentured laborers taken to Fiji from India 5 generations ago.  I'm not blaming the Queen for that, as she had nothing to do with it.  Hate only leads to more violence and constrains the generations going forward.  Cheers!

We can definitely blame her for the concentration camps, murder, torture and other atrocities that occurred when she was Queen.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_rebellion

You can choose to ignore what happened to your family but you don’t get to tell others. 

45 minutes ago, adesigar said:

We can definitely blame her for the concentration camps, murder, torture and other atrocities that occurred when she was Queen.

You can choose to ignore what happened to your family but you don’t get to tell others. 

WTF?  Did I tell others what to do?  No, so keep your animosity where it belongs.

On 5/12/2023 at 4:48 PM, longterminvestor said:

I cringe as well at my younger self and I am only 40.  A quote that rings true here, didn't hit me when I first heard it, took me a while to actually understand it: "Youth is wasted on the young".

Same here. If you don't cringe at yourself looking back 5 or 10 years, then maybe you're not growing enough. That said, treat your former self with grace 🙂

19 minutes ago, MMM20 said:

I wonder if there's any plan to preserve Buffett's office as a museum after his passing. Free entry for shareholders.

To me personally, that would be morbid. Danish privately held Danfoss has such a thing on top floor at HQ highrise at Nordborg, Als, Denmark, memorating the original founder. No public access though. To me, totally waste of office usage.

One bears memories of the ones who passed away in memory, not by creating museums inside a listed company.

8 hours ago, adesigar said:

Att the same time you despise the British Empire in Africa, you can thank them for the dramatic rise in living standards for Africa. Namely, health care, hospitals, education and largely eliminating practices like child/slave human sacrifice replaced by Christianity. Africa still has a ways to go because of tribalism - but the increases in longevity are real.

7 hours ago, MMM20 said:

Same here. If you don't cringe at yourself looking back 5 or 10 years, then maybe you're not growing enough. That said, treat your former self with grace 🙂

Every 4 to 6 months I look back at what a moron I was 4 to 6 months ago.

I'm about half way through "the Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck" by Mark Manson and it has some really good ideas in it.

Your thought about "treat your former self with grace" fits well with what he's saying.

Edited by DooDiligence

I forgot who said ( it was a German politician) it but rings true: "I don't care about the nonsense I was talking about yesterday."

There is another citation that I never forget and it's best said in German:

"Ungerechtigkeit muss sein, sonst kommt man zu keinem Ende."

Meaning - Injustice is necessary, otherwise nothing gets decided or done / or you can't move on.

The translation  does not quite capture the ambiguity of the original statement in German.

As to the British queen - she sometimes had to represent matters that she did not agree with and you mostly couldn't even tell how she thought about these matters. that's not an easy thing to do for such a long time. I also think that if you study history, you should never judge people from the past based on standards today.

Go back far enough, your ancestors were likely murderers, rapists and criminals as well as victims of those crimes.

I would not hold a reigning monarch to the same level of accountability as that of an absolute monarch. (Ex king Leopold of Belgium, whose charity work in Congo is well documented)

She may be guilty of being clueless about certain things at a certain age (who isn’t) but she gave her life to the institution and generally speaking is not a bad person. 

That said, I don’t accept such responses as it was good for Africa. And that African and other subjects should be gratified. But to each his own 

On 5/15/2023 at 6:57 AM, cubsfan said:

Att the same time you despise the British Empire in Africa, you can thank them for the dramatic rise in living standards for Africa. Namely, health care, hospitals, education and largely eliminating practices like child/slave human sacrifice replaced by Christianity. Africa still has a ways to go because of tribalism - but the increases in longevity are real.

LOL I've heard the stupid old defense of colonialism before. I will be thanking the British empire when pigs fly. It happened over a much longer period of time but the total number of people killed by them was more than the Nazis and possibly even the Mongols. All the "infrastructure" was built to better control and more efficiently loot the countries in Asia and Africa and for nothing else. The only thing that could probably be said about them was they weren't always as evil as some of the other European empires.

Good luck to people living in their fantasy where colonialism was a good thing. 

37 minutes ago, adesigar said:

LOL I've heard the stupid old defense of colonialism before. I will be thanking the British empire when pigs fly. It happened over a much longer period of time but the total number of people killed by them was more than the Nazis and possibly even the Mongols. All the "infrastructure" was built to better control and more efficiently loot the countries in Asia and Africa and for nothing else. The only thing that could probably be said about them was they weren't always as evil as some of the other European empires.

Good luck to people living in their fantasy where colonialism was a good thing. 

Funny boy. Still can’t explain those dramatic increases in longevity and health care - can you???

Yeah - colonialism certainly was not done for noble reasons, as it exploited the natives for natural resources, etc. But the positives of better lives has long outlived the exploitations.

1 hour ago, backtothebeach said:

nice clip. I have seen it before I think. 

That said, if the same type of clip is made of the immense contribution that Arabs have made to the world of science, math etc, and how a lot of that made its way into Europe as Islam expanded, a Westerner would have puked and called it outrageous. 

disclaimer: I am not Arab. In fact my ethnicity was a victim of the Arabs. That said we were predatory and made others our victims before becoming victim. Such is life. 

2 hours ago, cubsfan said:

Funny boy. Still can’t explain those dramatic increases in longevity and health care - can you???

Yeah - colonialism certainly was not done for noble reasons, as it exploited the natives for natural resources, etc. But the positives of better lives has long outlived the exploitations.

I didn’t explain anything because you just made stuff up. Life expectancy declined during and because of colonialism. 

edit

by roughly 5 years from about 28 down to 23.

Edited by adesigar

56 minutes ago, adesigar said:

I didn’t explain anything because you just made stuff up. Life expectancy declined during and because of colonialism. 

edit

by roughly 5 years from about 28 down to 23.

On the subject of making stuff up. Would you care to show where you obtained the information that "by roughly 5 years from about 28 down to 23" and to what specific dates do your numbers refer? I ask this because I cannot find those numbers and as you accuse others of "making things up" I am sure you can be much more specific. Thanks.

30 minutes ago, cwericb said:

On the subject of making stuff up. Would you care to show where you obtained the information that "by roughly 5 years from about 28 down to 23" and to what specific dates do your numbers refer? I ask this because I cannot find those numbers and as you accuse others of "making things up" I am sure you can be much more specific. Thanks.

Here is a start.

for New Zealand

https://teara.govt.nz/en/death-rates-and-life-expectancy/page-4#:~:text=Māori may have had a,of women was just 23.

Māori may have had a life expectancy at birth of about 30. After European contact, however, there was a major decline in Māori life expectancy. By 1891 the estimated life expectancy of Māori men was 25 and that of women was just 23

for India

https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/opinions/2022/12/2/how-british-colonial-policy-killed-100-million-indians

Life expectancy declined from 26.7 years to 21.9 years.

I’m done with this thread.

"She may be guilty of being clueless about certain things at a certain age (who isn’t) but she gave her life to the institution and generally speaking is not a bad person. "

European governments and leaders should be tried for their genocidal crimes, just like Nazis were tried in a court of justice. The true extent of their crimes is still hidden and frankly, there will be shock and disgust once it is exposed. 

Edited by cheapguy

1 hour ago, cheapguy said:

"She may be guilty of being clueless about certain things at a certain age (who isn’t) but she gave her life to the institution and generally speaking is not a bad person. "

European governments and leaders should be tried for their genocidal crimes, just like Nazis were tried in a court of justice. The true extent of their crimes is still hidden and frankly, there will be shock and disgust once it is exposed. 

Where does the hate end then?  Look at Israel and Palestine.  

My nephew is half hindu and half sikh.  Should he brought up to hate hindu's because of the attack on the Golden Temple by Indira Gandhi?  Or should he hate sikh's because of the Air India bombing?

Right now, he's just a kid that loves his family and everything about life!  

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi.

Cheers!

>Att the same time you despise the British Empire in Africa, you can thank them for the dramatic rise in living standards for Africa.

I hope this is not to be taken seriously. If not, I will be deeply deeply disappointed, as this is not based on any morals or facts (unless twisted to make it fit some pre ordained conclusion). 

Back to the original topic:

Having just watched the Pacific on HBO ( and having a father in law who was a ww2 Navy fighter pilot) … I will miss the wisdom and guidance from those who were depression babies/ kids and of the “ greatest generation “I admire both men’s ethics and morality forged during that time.

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Strong men are fading...

On 5/15/2023 at 4:37 PM, DooDiligence said:

Every 4 to 6 months I look back at what a moron I was 4 to 6 months ago.

I'm about half way through "the Subtle Art of Not Giving a Fuck" by Mark Manson and it has some really good ideas in it.

Your thought about "treat your former self with grace" fits well with what he's saying.

Same here, I really don't need to go back as far as 5y for that. 🙂

PS: I love that book, read it multiple times. Also enjoyed Mark's follow up book Everything is fucking: a book about hope, though it gets a bit more complex for night time reading imho.