Where are you going.. (Travel Thread)

Longnose

22 hours ago, Charlie said:

ASTA, my wife and me made a sabbatical year one year ago.

We made holidays nearly every month. That I can highly recommend. 🙂

But be careful not to get an after sabbatical year depression. 🤣

Charlie duly Noted will also see some family and friends that are all spread out. As I am going alone might try this tinder stuff to keep me busy:D (I Hope scared) Like a Brazilian friend told me I feel like a ghost I see everything but they don't see me.

• 3 weeks later...

Were down in Key West Florida. Its absolutely amazing, tropical and friendly. This place really shows how incredible the USA is. Top Geography of any country in the world by far in its diversity. The road down is a fun drive too.

Ive never met so many active elderly with a buzz lol. Id say its not exactly the best place for kids but mine are doing just fine so far.

On 1/27/2024 at 5:39 PM, bargainman said:

Not sure where I'm going but I heard there's a dude living on cruise ships 50 weeks out of the year!  Apparently costs about 80K years which isn't so bad really...

Our last cruise we sat a couple for dinners who are Chronic Cruisers. 

They said they have several friends who retired and just rent out their houses and live on cruise ships full time (40-50) weeks a year. It actually seemed pretty affordable when i started sketching out the math. 

The dinner couple we sat with were doing an extended back to back cruise. Prior to the week we cruised they were on the ship. and when we docked at the end of the trip. They stayed on the ship to go another week. 

If youre into it. Its seems very doable. 

Spent two weeks on Maui working on fixing up a couple investment properties getting them ready to lease. Such a beautiful place, I wish I’d had more time to vacation. Nevertheless, I’m probably more tanned than any point in my life and got the privilege to see a lot of humpback whales and calves. That was very neat!

Edited by RedLion

2 hours ago, RedLion said:

Spent two weeks on Maui working on fixing up a couple investment properties getting them ready to lease. Such a beautiful place, I wish I’d had more time to vacation. Nevertheless, I’m probably more tanned than any point in my life and for to see a lot of humpback whales and calves. That was very neat!

Its really hard to get a woman to respond to me on Tinder at my age, I finally got one but she moved to Oahu. If you need a short-term house-sitter it would guarantee me at least one date before she blocks me;)

In the mean-time, February is the test of the next Starship prototype. Assuming they've solved the water-hammer effect in the fuel lines that blew up SuperHeavy last test, probably get to see them land a 230 foot sky scraper in the ocean which would be super cool. Only problem is its likely that we only find out a day or two ahead of time when the test is going to happen, and even then it could be delayed days for any pad/assembly/fueling issues or weather. 

So when they announce I'm planning to hop in my car in Phoenix and drive straight through to Boca Chica, Texas and sleep on the beach with my dog.

Edited by ValueArb
JK

3 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

Its really hard to get a woman to respond to me on Tinder at my age, I finally got one but she moved to Oahu. If you need a short-term house-sitter it would guarantee me at least one date before she blocks me;)

In the mean-time, February is the test of the next Starship prototype. Assuming they've solved the water-hammer effect in the fuel lines that blew up SuperHeavy last test, probably get to see them land a 230 foot sky scraper in the ocean which would be super cool. Only problem is its likely that we only find out a day or two ahead of time when the test is going to happen, and even then it could be delayed days for any pad/assembly/fueling issues or weather. 

So when they announce I'm planning to hop in my car in Phoenix and drive straight through to Boca Chica, Texas and sleep on the beach with my dog.

You should have asked a couple weeks ago! These are both going to serve FEMA's goals at housing Lahaina fire victims and I doubt I'll see them again for at least 2 years. Of course, I will be trolling the markets for more opportunities, and Oahu is a bit more affordable (crazy to see these words come from my keyboard, but true). 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 1:51 PM, Jaygo said:

Were down in Key West Florida. Its absolutely amazing, tropical and friendly. This place really shows how incredible the USA is. Top Geography of any country in the world by far in its diversity. The road down is a fun drive too.

Ive never met so many active elderly with a buzz lol. Id say its not exactly the best place for kids but mine are doing just fine so far.

I love the Keys just not Key West...looking to plan a trip there this summer. Haven't done other keys but Islamorada was amazing. 

By request of @Spekulatius

A random park in Orlando, FL. I only saw one gator at a distance of ~75 yards.

A Buccees in Georgia. The size of the operation blew my mind and I'm from the US. They had over 200 gas pumps! More than I could picture (behind me and on the sides of the building). 

Houston area - Ive never been to Houston before, but I loved driving around and geeking out over the refineries and giant cranes on the horizon. Some real cool engineering all around. That said the city smelled like chemical plants and I wouldn't want to live there for that reason. Also the sprawl was incredible - I thought I knew urban sprawl living in STL where it takes an 1hr 20 to get across a metro of 2.5 million people. The ship channel would have been a nice place to sit and watch ships but the smell was awful. 

Went and saw the San Jacinto monument as well. It is the site of the final battle of the Texas Revolution. Some interesting history, but the park itself was underwhelming. 

I'll be home for 2 weeks and then I'm headed to Louisville for a month. Will be working a lot more though. 

PXL_20240114_224230868.MP.jpg

PXL_20240114_224433302.jpg

PXL_20240203_020840671.jpg

PXL_20240203_022308709.jpg

PXL_20240207_223257731.MP.jpg

PXL_20240207_230341563.jpg

PXL_20240207_232638415.jpg

PXL_20240207_224028375.jpg

PXL_20240207_224134795.jpg

PXL_20240207_231646894.jpg

28 minutes ago, benchmark said:

Going to India in late March to April for 10 days for the first time, any recommendation? Thanks. 

Just soak it all in.  So much to see and do.  Every city is different than the other.  Delhi...very stalwart and formal.  Mumbai...very cosmopolitan and energetic.  If you go to Agra, definitely see the Taj Mahal.  Jaipur is beautiful and historic.  Bengaluru is very modern and the airport is one of the nicest you will ever visit.

We did a whirlwind trip with Fairfax India over about 12 days, and it was spectacular and jam-packed.  We obviously had a high-end version of visiting India, but we did do a few things like meet the dabha-wallas in Mumbai, rickshaw through Chandni Chok in Delhi, walked Marine drive in Mumbai...and the food, we pretty much had everything you could imagine!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, benchmark said:

Going to India in late March to April for 10 days for the first time, any recommendation? Thanks. 

Where are you going ? It can get pretty hot in some parts of the country even by this time of year. So just prepare of the trip accordingly

4 hours ago, rohitc99 said:

Where are you going ? It can get pretty hot in some parts of the country even by this time of year. So just prepare of the trip accordingly

I need to go to Bangalore for business, but wants to spend around 10 days after to explore the country. Which area is too hot to visit during that time? 

6 hours ago, Parsad said:

Just soak it all in.  So much to see and do.  Every city is different than the other.  Delhi...very stalwart and formal.  Mumbai...very cosmopolitan and energetic.  If you go to Agra, definitely see the Taj Mahal.  Jaipur is beautiful and historic.  Bengaluru is very modern and the airport is one of the nicest you will ever visit.

We did a whirlwind trip with Fairfax India over about 12 days, and it was spectacular and jam-packed.  We obviously had a high-end version of visiting India, but we did do a few things like meet the dabha-wallas in Mumbai, rickshaw through Chandni Chok in Delhi, walked Marine drive in Mumbai...and the food, we pretty much had everything you could imagine!

Cheers!

Thanks Prasad. Is that too packed for 10 days? Did you mostly travel by plane or train? 

Edited by benchmark

1 hour ago, benchmark said:

Thanks Prasad. Is that too packed for 10 days? Did you mostly travel by plane or train? 

Mostly by plane, but there was some train too.  They had it arranged perfectly, but we were busy every day from 7am to 10pm.  Cheers!

On 11/3/2023 at 12:38 AM, Xerxes said:

Thanks. 
Did all the “Gardens by the bay” related stuff yesterday. Awesome place. 

Since I like history I am heading to the boring fortress complex of sentosa (or what remains of them). The cannons were pointing to the sea even as the Japanese descended on Singapore from the north through Thailand and Malaysia. 

I am heading next to the Kuala Lumper, Malacca, GeorgeTown, before heading to Thailand. 

ps: I actually held GRAB. And got “SPACed and whacked” during the drawdown. 

I'm going to Kuala Lumpur a week after next week! What do you recommend to visit there?

Edited by Seoshin

10 hours ago, benchmark said:

I need to go to Bangalore for business, but wants to spend around 10 days after to explore the country. Which area is too hot to visit during that time? 

That is in the south and should be fine. The northern parts of the country start getting hot especially around noon

7 hours ago, Seoshin said:

I'm going to Kuala Lumpur a week after next week! What do you recommend to visit there?

I was there for two full days. Stayed in KLCC. At the Trader’ Hotel. Was so proud to see the high rise outside my hotel window was that of an Exxon building. 

I actually spend an almost full day going south toward Malacca. A must see for anyone who likes history. 

spend the other day with Batu Caves, and markets. All of which are far away from my hotel. It is good idea to hire a driver or use public transport if you have time.  In the same day, I went to other Hindu, Muslim and Chinese places of worship. 

I found Malaysia fascinating. Three distinct groups of people co exist and you see that in the very fabric of their society. There are multiple dynasties reigning over different regions, and one which becomes the federal sultan as a reigning “federal” monarch on a rotating basis. 

Vacation booked in Bali at end of April.

Cangu, Seminyak and Ubud.

Seems like the dollar stretches decently since can rent villas with plunge pools for the price of modest hotels in N. America.