Russia-Ukrainian War

Another Russian landing ship has been promoted to submarine, the 24th in Russia's Black Sea fleet to receive the honor since the war started (not counting a submarine rotisseried in dry dock). How many decades will it take Russia's flagging economy to replace them?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-02-14/ukraine-says-it-destroys-russian-warship-in-black-sea-attack?srnd=premium

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Pretty good 5 min summary from Michael Clark of the current situation:

Nice summary - he's a little soft on Zelensky though. He makes him sound like a freedom fighter, but I think the bloom is off the rose on the President.

Zelensky has suspended Habeas corpus, instituted martial law, outlawed political parties and elections, etc - so most of that is covered up - as you can't really criticize the guy as far as allies are concerned.

Personally, I'd like to see Ukraine get their US aid - but not without a secure US southern border, which is currently a catastrophe - and not too much to ask. Doesn't look like it will happen.

But any aid package needs to be audited as Ukraine is still among the most corrupt countries in the world. None of that is hard or too much to ask if you're giving a country $60B.

^^ every time i have read anything on YAHOO News concerning this war .... it was always a "blow to the Russians".

Even CNN (except for Fareed) gets on my nerve sometimes when they invite those overexcited retired general to "opine". 

I much prefer the good professor on Sky News or Koffman.

17 hours ago, cubsfan said:

Nice summary - he's a little soft on Zelensky though. He makes him sound like a freedom fighter, but I think the bloom is off the rose on the President.

Zelensky has suspended Habeas corpus, instituted martial law, outlawed political parties and elections, etc - so most of that is covered up - as you can't really criticize the guy as far as allies are concerned.

Sounds a little like, Abraham Lincoln?

Personally, I'd like to see Ukraine get their US aid - but not without a secure US southern border, which is currently a catastrophe - and not too much to ask. Doesn't look like it will happen.

Give out one million work visas to emigres who can pass background checks and problem solved.

But any aid package needs to be audited as Ukraine is still among the most corrupt countries in the world. None of that is hard or too much to ask if you're giving a country $60B.

Corruption has declined significantly since Russian FSB agents started getting arrested.

https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/macron-keeps-options-open-on-sending-troops-to-ukraine-riling-allies-19645362

Asked whether leaders at the summit had discussed the possibility of sending troops to Ukraine, Macron said: “Everything was discussed this evening, in a very free and direct manner. There is no consensus today to officially send, take responsibility for and endorse ground troops. But in terms of options nothing should be ruled out.”...

Macron declined to say which countries discussed sending troops to Ukraine at the Paris summit, adding that France was maintaining a position of “strategic ambiguity” regarding its own planning. 

“Nothing should be excluded in pursuit of our goal: Russia cannot and must not win this war,” he said. 

The last time France sent an army into Russia, it burned down two thirds of Moscow. My money is on Poland however, if they ever enter the war the Polish army will be in Moscow within weeks;)

Edited by ValueArb

Speculation I've seen is troops would be deployed to the Ukraine/Belarus border to relieve Ukrainian units stationed there allowing them to fight in Eastern Ukraine. Seems unlikely though given all the levers available to Western nations that they remain hesitant to use like sending meaningful long range strike capabilities.

Russia has lost ten of its most advanced planes in the last week (SU-34s, SU-35s and A-50s). I haven’t seen any authoritative explanation for how Ukraine has done it, there was one claim they had added modern targeting systems to giant obsolete S-200 missiles and secretly moved them close to the front lines. 

Russia may have to rename the SU-34 “Hell Ducks” to SU-34 “Sitting Ducks”;)

Thousands marching in Moscow to mourn Navalany, the balls on these people are very impressive.

Edit: Looks like they are chanting “down with Putin!” and “bring the soldiers back!”. 

Edited by ValueArb

On 2/27/2024 at 8:07 PM, ValueArb said:

Russia has lost ten of its most advanced planes in the last week (SU-34s, SU-35s and A-50s). I haven’t seen any authoritative explanation for how Ukraine has done it, there was one claim they had added modern targeting systems to giant obsolete S-200 missiles and secretly moved them close to the front lines. 

Russia may have to rename the SU-34 “Hell Ducks” to SU-34 “Sitting Ducks”;)

Ukraine claiming about three SU-34s today. Adding a little clarity to this unprecedented string of claimed kills, a spokesman talked about how Russian pilots are being forced to fly closer to the front line in order to reach targets with glide bombs. Still seems strange, one would think the RUS Air Force would adjust flight paths and targets to minimize losses, so if they are going to why do they keep getting hit.

We are safe.
No worries FDR is currently giving a speech at the State of Union. 

Oh wait a minute 

Now it changed. Ronald Reagan is giving speech about “Berlin Wall” 

20 hours ago, John Hjorth said:

NATO News [March 7th 2024] : Sweden officially joins NATO.

It is to me the most important step for the future of the Nordic countries in regard to Security policy, combined with Finland joining NATO on April 4th 2023.

Congrats to Sweden, to NATO and to us! Now all we have to do is boot out Yugoslavia, Turkey and Germany;)

Edited by ValueArb

27 minutes ago, ValueArb said:

Congrats to Sweden, to NATO and to us! Now all we have to do is boot out Yugoslavia, Turkey and Germany;)

Agree on Turkey and Germany, but Yugoslavia no longer exists.  Neither Serbia nor Croatia are part of NATO.  

On 3/8/2024 at 9:48 AM, Dinar said:

Agree on Turkey and Germany, but Yugoslavia no longer exists.  Neither Serbia nor Croatia are part of NATO.  

Does that officially make me a doddering old man when I confuse Yugoslavia and Hungary?

1 hour ago, ValueArb said:

Does that officially make me a doddering old man when I confuse Yugoslavia and Hungary?

You will officially become an old man when given a choice between going out with a beautiful girl and having a quiet evening at home you choose the latter!

On 3/8/2024 at 5:20 PM, ValueArb said:

Why are we getting booted out? 🥸

1 hour ago, Luca said:

You complain too much about your Nord Stream pipeline getting a "makeover"

A true NATOrian would give up his/her firstborn for the cause, no question asks !! no ifs, no buts

Ask Not What NATO Can Do for You, Ask What YOU Can Do for NATO (hint: +2% GDP would be start)

1 hour ago, Luca said:

Blocking EU aid to Ukraine, dragging feet on Russian sanctions, trying to block Finland and Sweden from NATO, trying to block Ukraine EU bid, cozying up to Putin, etc, etc etc.

I'm all for reconsidering once Orban is out of power.