What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

12 hours ago, nwoodman said:

I am amazed he lasted this long!  

Great band, Fairy Tale of New York and A Pair of Brown Eyes are my faves.

Yes, when you watched the documentaries about him- especially the last one “ Crock of Gold” you really wonder how he kept going as long as he did. Time to rewatch “Crock of Gold” in Hulu.

Edited by Spekulatius

6 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

@nwoodman Amyl and  the sniffers are pretty good. Their records sound a bit flat though (not unusual for punk rock) and I think live the energy comes across much better.

I agree, it's almost a little over produced.  Definitely a band that delivers live though.  

I had the good fortune to see another Australian export, Parkway Drive at Knottfest earlier this year.  They blew me and the crowd away.  Got home and listened to a few of their albums and it was the same deal,  something seemed to be missing.  

As you say, some bands/ music styles are just better live. 

• 4 weeks later...

I am listening to the Reigle Family band. The guitarist was in my electromagnetic fields course last semester. She is taking my Keys to Learning class this semester and has dragged her brother, mandolin player, and her sister, the bassist, to the class. This is why I love teaching, meeting amazing students like the Reigles.

Pretty amazing piece and voice, Arvo Pärt is worth checking out, amazing composer: 

The harmonic sequence from 2:00 to 2:30 is gold

Edited by Luca

11 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

Today's song:

Duddee, I have been listening to him too today, just the classics, The Wind, Father and Son, Peace Train etc....just really good old music, epic voice, great guitar, thanks Yusuf!!!

15 hours ago, Luca said:

Duddee, I have been listening to him too today, just the classics, The Wind, Father and Son, Peace Train etc....just really good old music, epic voice, great guitar, thanks Yusuf!!!

Some of his newer stuff is quite good. I like the Laughing Apple. Just discovered it after going through his Albums. He made some so so stuff after taking a long break (decades!)  and converting to Islam but this one is just a great folk Album:

• Like 1