What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2023 at 11:34 PM, whatstheofficerproblem said:

I'm a sucker for good song writing and passionate raw vocals. This one was right up my alley.

Tried to listen to the record,  but can’t connect to it. He sounds like Ed Sheeran after stepping on a Lego.

Unrelated, prime has a series of movies about classic Albums and how they were recorded, I found the one about the in comic “So” record from Peter Gabriel to be very well made. i remember too well when it came out in 1986 - almost every song is a classic.

https://www.primevideo.com/detail/Peter-Gabriel-So-Classic-Albums/0RIETTR5NSJAGVBOOGGDWJR28A

Edited by Spekulatius

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Parsad said:

You know, it's all a derivative of punk rock.  I grew up on The Clash, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, etc.  Metal, grunge, black metal, etc...all came from punk rock.  Cheers!

+1.  We grew up on very similar musical diets.  It's interesting, although they were my faves of the day on a road trip now we are more likely to favour grunge such as Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and even that Canadian gift The Tea Party....one of the seminal gigs of my life.  

I have meant to post the musical discovery epiphany that is radio station KEXP, out of Seattle, Washington.  They have been putting together live shows on YouTube for years now.  Some key finds for me :

Pigsx7 (UK) - Stoner Metal at its finest.  Seeing them live in December, can't wait

Aurora (NOR) - reminds me a little of Bjork, maybe Sugar Cubes but different.  Definitely Scandinavian eclectic

SLIFT (FR) - Guitar at its finest.  They do a set (SLIFT-Levitation Sessions) at the CEMES laboratory which is even better

Amyl and The Sniffers (AU) - punks not dead baby! Saw them supporting Smashing Pumpkins a while back and Amy is a force to be reckoned with

The list of artists that have recorded live with them is pretty impressive, and worth a peruse if you are feeling a little rusted on.

8 hours ago, nwoodman said:

+1.  We grew up on very similar musical diets.  It's interesting, although they were my faves of the day on a road trip now we are more likely to favour grunge such as Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and even that Canadian gift The Tea Party....one of the seminal gigs of my life.  

I started with the Beatles and Rolling Stones when I was 10, slowly drifted into 60's classic rock, 70's punk rock (also forgot the Ramones), then came the 80's with U2, New Order, Depeche Mode, The Cult, etc, 90's were Grunge mixed with some Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Oasis, Blur and as a good old Canadian boy...the Tragically Hip and 54-40, early 2000's were a little more barren other than The White Stripes, and the 2010's dominated by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Metric, et al.  I listen to all sorts of music, but the primary streak seems to remain Hard Rock.  

If you listen to "Spin the Black Circle" on Pearl Jam's "Vitalogy"...arguably one of the best grunge albums ever produced along side Nirvana's "Nevermind" and "In Utero"...you can hear the punk rock influence on Eddie Vedder and the band.  You'll think your inside a mosh pit!  Ohhh, to be young again!

Cheers!

My ticket broker buddy got us tickets to Brit Floyd, which I'd never seen before but is supposedly the best Pink Floyd cover band. I love the Aussie Pink Floyd, seen them multiple times, but now have to admit Brit Floyd is even better.  Top notch musicianship, vocals, song selection, visuals, and they even had a fairly impressive roster of guest musicians including Roger Water's son Harry on keyboards (which he played on his dads gigs for a couple decades), Durga McBroom and Scott Page from David Gilmours Floyd edition, and PJ Olsson from Alan Parsons project.  

The weirdest part is I told my ex-wfe I was going to it and she said already had a ticket.  She loves Brit Floyd so much she got a solo ticket up in the rafters. So we agreed to drive together and last second my buddy cancels because he wasn't feeling well. So I end up giving his ticket to my ex so she could join me up front in the second row. Since she let me off without alimony I think it was the least I could do;)