What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

29 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I sort of went a little but down a Frank Zappa trip and really started to dig it. Zappa was what the Inteligentsia was listening to in the late 70‘s and I never really understood what it’s about.

I did watch a documentary about him and then it became clear to me that he is more of a composer than a R&R musician. I like the mid 70‘s period the most - Aprostrophe, Overnite Sensation, One size fits all, Hot rats…

Or the greatest album title ever “Sheik Yerbouti” (especially considering it was released in 1979).

Great tune!

I also love the uptempo-"coke"-version of it.

Edited by Aurel

2 hours ago, Aurel said:

Great tune!

I also love the uptempo-"coke"-version of it.

The amazing thing about Zappa and the Mothers is that everything you hear is played exactly as written. No variation or improv (playing through normal mistakes, of course). He wrote orchestral pieces with pencil and paper.

I've always loved that song.  John Legend did an interesting cover with the Roots that he put out on an album of covers.  I saw them perform it live at jazz fest and it was pretty great also.  we're chicken feathers all without one gut!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Screw Grimes. I can get around royalties by sampling the likes of Satie, Chopin and Ludwig van (actually, physically sampling them with my fingers), live looping snippets of their altered work(s) with Lofi beats (also live recorded), on my Digitakt and garnishing with lush MiniFreak pads. I did this for hours last night with the first 16ish bars of Gymnopedie 1, Valse in b minor, and the first 4 bars + pickup measure of Fur Elise.

I do another one on Wurlitzer (w/ tremolo), based on Ennio Morricone's "the Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

with improv beats from the Digitakt (including gunshot samples at the appropriate moments)

and a big fat bass on the MiniFreak.

Might have to pay a royalty to Ennio. This is a pretty distinctive work and I don't alter it from the original.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/ennio-morricone-scores-big-appellate-win-copyright-termination-suit-1233645/

The ads for fakery are ubiquitous. Watch enough gear and music videos on youtube and you'll see offers for sample packs galore. Samples : AI's : Bullshit. You can either play or just spin soulless samples. I'm turning into more of a keyjay who rolls his own sample packs. My entire rig now fits into a backpack (which an AI cannot carry BTW).

Edited by DooDiligence

19 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I love Natalie Merchant. I have their essential playlist downloaded on my phone. Tigerlily is my favorite album. I will have check out the new one.

I too like Natalie and Tigerlilly is a great album. You probably are already familiar with it but 10,000 Maniacs MTV unplugged is good.

@CassiusKing1 Thanks for the alert to her new album.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2023 at 10:55 AM, Spekulatius said:

I love Natalie Merchant. I have their essential playlist downloaded on my phone. Tigerlily is my favorite album. I will have check out the new one.

I listened to "Keep your courage" this a couple of times and this record is "gold" can hold it's own compared to Natalie Merchant's best efforts (Tigerlily, The House Carpenter's.. etc). Thanks for recommending @CassiusKing1

Edited by Spekulatius

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoy Neil Young as well! Great recommendation, i havent listened to everything he made but like quite a few songs from him. Trasher is one of my all time favourites, listened countless of times to it...lyrics are so beautiful, song just hits hard...that harmonica in the end as well...just amazing music...

On 1/26/2022 at 2:28 PM, Aurel said:

Nice, i think you'll like it!

Do you know this one?

I think it's my favorite.

Edited by Luca

On 12/29/2021 at 11:54 PM, SharperDingaan said:

Always a good song to play when counting up the money!

SD

One of the best motives...just great. There is this super funny reaction video where he listens the first time to it, his reaction says it all 😄

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 8:45 AM, CassiusKing1 said:

Spekulatius, glad you enjoyed it.  I agree, some of her best work.  Lyrically and musically it's great.

@CassiusKing1 I went back into Natalie Merchants back catalogue and very much love some records found there. The one I am particular fond of is "Leave your Sleep". The variety of thongs from Folk, Reggae , Nursery rhymes, Flamenco, Irish, Sea Shanties is amazing. I checked out her website and she had a tour starting in Boston but all the venues are sold out 😞

Amyl and the Sniffers (based in Melbourne, Australia).  Saw them as a support act for The Smashing Pumpkins. Amy blew me away, she epitomises why live music is so compelling. Energy levels through the roof.  In this age of auto tune it so refreshing to have some punk vibes again 👍. Another favourite at the moment is Fontaines DC (Dublin, Ireland) for similar reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to see and hear Les Claypool and the Flying Frog Brigade last night.

I really wanted to hear them do a little Primus (Frizzle Fry and John the Fisherman would've been great), but got a Pink Floyd Animals cover set (with Sean Lennon nailing the guitar just like in the attached video) + a lot of new Purple Frog material.

His Pink Floyd arrangements are wayyy better than Brit Floyd.