What are you listening to ? (Music thread)

Spekulatius

11 hours ago, Aurel said:

Yes, Open-G sounds very country-ish.

Love the double drop D like on "Ohio" from Neil Young.

Ever tried DADGAD-Truning? It's quite fun.

Neil Young has been my favorite for 50 years. I have listened to Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, and Harvest more than any other albums. I've seen him in concert with Crazy Horse and with CSN&Y.

16 hours ago, boilermaker75 said:

Neil Young has been my favorite for 50 years. I have listened to Everybody Knows this is Nowhere, After the Gold Rush, and Harvest more than any other albums. I've seen him in concert with Crazy Horse and with CSN&Y.

Thats, cool. He is my favorite, too. I was the classic 90s Rap/Hip-Hop-Kid. Till i found the Neil Young records from my Dad.

Saw him twice in Berlin. One time with Crazy Horse, one time with Promise of the Real. (was very good, too.)

17 hours ago, boilermaker75 said:

Of his “newer” work, his “Freedom” record is by far the best. It’s pretty eclectic. Much of his records from the 80’s and later are a mixed bag.

Bill Frisell has a huge catalogue (basically one record/ year for almost 30 years now). It’s classified as Jazz, but some records sound pretty folks. All are instrumental only. He is great to listen to in the background but his music is complex enough to actively listening to. each record has its own style, depending on which musician  are on board. Best to use a playlist to find out what you like. Here is a tune from a more folksy album (with a banjo etc):

Edited by Spekulatius

3 hours ago, finetrader said:

Led Zep !
Ya !

do you know Great Zeppelin ?
Awesome  cover album(s)

These days, i am revisiting Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

I will have to check them out.

Get The Led Out is a cover band that I've seen live a couple of times.  They tour the country:

Here are a few of their live performance videos:

https://www.gtlorocks.com/videos

There are six of them in the band, not four.  They explain that the six musicians allow them to replicate the music as you hear it on the albums (overlayed tracks cannot be played by just four guys live).

Very fun shows, they are awesome.

My first concert was RunDMC / Beastie Boys (Licensed to Ill) at Shoreline Amphitheater.  I think the tickets were $16.  Run DMC went on first and seemingly all of the black audience left when they were done.  

Edited by ERICOPOLY

For the videos on the Get The Led Out website, look at the video for Kashmir (dated Oct 21 2013):

https://player.vimeo.com/video/77465624?h=ff758080c9

My wife and I saw them just a couple of months ago at the Crest in Sacramento.  They played Kashmir and it was just incredible how good they are -- the vocalist is fantastic.

Edited by ERICOPOLY

Get The Led Out: They’re very good!  Musically, it’ sounds the same than the original.

The thing with Great Zeppelin (Great White) is Jack Russell’s voice. He sounds just like Plant.

Apparently, Plant approved himself;

Robert Plant, « Oh, that Jack Russell guy, he sounds more like me than I do » 

check this out !

Edited by finetrader

14 hours ago, ERICOPOLY said:

If it's decades-old music, I'm still enjoying Led Zeppelin and it is my #1. 

More recently I've been enjoying Cigarettes After Sex.  I have tickets to see The Killers in Vegas this coming August.

I am a big fan of Led Zeppelin.

Page, Jones, and Bonzo were probably as good of musicians as in any band. Maybe even better than The Who with Entwistle, Moon, and Townshend.

Page was a very sought after session musician before the Yardbirds, and Jones was a very sought after session musician before Led Zeppelin. If you listen to sixties music from the UK you are often hearing Page and Jones and don't even know it.

21 minutes ago, finetrader said:

Get The Led Out: They’re very good!  Musically, it’ sounds the same than the original.

The thing with Great Zeppelin (Great White) is Jack Russell’s voice. He sounds just like Plant.

Apparently, Plant approved himself;

Robert Plant, « Oh, that Jack Russell guy, he sounds more like me than I do » 

check this out !

I'm listening to Great Zeppelin on Spotify at this moment.  Yes, it's very good.

I saw Robert Plant at Shoreline Amphitheater in 8th grade (going on 9th) when he toured A Principle of Moments.  Communication Breakdown/Black Country Woman/Sick Again if I recall were the only Zep songs he did, but it was a taste.  I have loved the music going on 36 years now.  

Edited by ERICOPOLY

Ten Years Gone is one of my top 5, and I don't know how that went for Plant.  I mean, he's married with kids at the time he wrote the lyrics, which are about a girlfriend he had 10 years prior who asked him to choose between her and his music.  He's clearly still in love with her -- did his wife kick his ass or what??? 

Edited by ERICOPOLY

Another angle to find good music is to look at records produced by Russ Titelman and Lenny Waronker. This duo worked together a lot and they had musicians like Randy Newman, Ry Cooder, James Taylor, Ricky Lee  Jones and so many others.

What they all have in common is that the records sound fantastic and in the 70’s or even in the 80’s that’s not something to take for granted.

27 minutes ago, boilermaker75 said:

I am a big fan of Led Zeppelin.

Page, Jones, and Bonzo were probably as good of musicians as in any band. Maybe even better than The Who with Entwistle, Moon, and Townshend.

Page was a very sought after session musician before the Yardbirds, and Jones was a very sought after session musician before Led Zeppelin. If you listen to sixties music from the UK you are often hearing Page and Jones and don't even know it.

It is said that Page played without mistakes, and time is money in a studio.  He was first to bring a distortion box to a studio and introduced it.  Before that they used kicked in speakers and maxed-out amps and such...

Edited by ERICOPOLY

47 minutes ago, ERICOPOLY said:

I was a fan of Yes as a teen, saw Anderson/Bruford/Wakeman/How tour at Shoreline.  Saw Yes in-the-round at the Oakland Coliseum on shrooms.  I'm not advocating drugs but that was something I still remember.

I saw Yes in 1979 in the round. They had their rotating stage up in Mackey Area, a basketball arena.

Just now, boilermaker75 said:

I saw Yes in 1979 in the round. They had their rotating stage up in Mackey Area, a basketball arena.

I'm pretty sure now the stage was rotating at the show I saw, but I felt at the time that the Coliseum was rotating around the stage.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:22 PM, Spekulatius said:

Bill Frisell has a huge catalogue (basically one record/ year for almost 30 years now). It’s classified as Jazz, but some records sound pretty folks. All are instrumental only. He is great to listen to in the background but his music is complex enough to actively listening to. each record has its own style, depending on which musician  are on board. Best to use a playlist to find out what you like. Here is a tune from a more folksy album (with a banjo etc):

cool vibe ! Thanks for introducing this artist to me

26 minutes ago, boilermaker75 said:

LOL, it's all relative!

I vividly recall it would alternate from feeling like we were orbiting counterclockwise, then I would catch myself and it would feel like we were losing ground to it and it was overtaking us, kind of like a rapper on a turntable scratching a record in slow motion only we were seated on the vinyl and the stage was in the center.

1 hour ago, ERICOPOLY said:

I vividly recall it would alternate from feeling like we were orbiting counterclockwise, then I would catch myself and it would feel like we were losing ground to it and it was overtaking us, kind of like a rapper on a turntable scratching a record in slow motion only we were seated on the vinyl and the stage was in the center.

I found a few photos I took. They have faded, as have I!

Scan 2022-1-9 16.25.00.jpg

1 hour ago, boilermaker75 said:

I found a few photos I took. They have faded, as have I!

Scan 2022-1-9 16.25.00.jpg

Thanks for sharing, that is very cool that you kept those photos.  Close To The Edge was/is my favorite (and the next one after it on the album by said name).  My other favorite is Heart Of The Sunrise, the last song on Fragile which immediately preceded the next release which was Close To The Edge.  I can't think of another band where that has happened for me.

Edited by ERICOPOLY