Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

On 1/3/2024 at 10:42 PM, rkbabang said:

Just finished “BitConned” on Netflix. Wow, this is a must see.  It’s a documentary on a group of crypto con artists from 2017.  I must have said “Oh my god” like 15 times while watching it. The brass balls on these guys. Highly recommended. 

Thanks. Watched it last night. Amazing story. Nobody sorry about a thing. 

On 12/31/2023 at 12:44 PM, coc said:

Slow Horses S3 is ace. Love it.

S3 of Slow Horses is indeed great. This show gets better and better.

I also like “Monarch” and “For all Mankind” on Apple TV.

Apple TV is often dissed but they make awesome shows. They really are about to become the new HBO.

Edited by Spekulatius

On 1/3/2024 at 11:42 PM, rkbabang said:

Just finished “BitConned” on Netflix. Wow, this is a must see.  It’s a documentary on a group of crypto con artists from 2017.  I must have said “Oh my god” like 15 times while watching it. The brass balls on these guys. Highly recommended. 

I watched it after your post. I don't believed he got off..... It just re-enforces white collar crime pays. Sheesh.

52 minutes ago, schin said:

I watched it after your post. I don't believed he got off..... It just re-enforces white collar crime pays. Sheesh.

Yeah, that was the most unbelievable part.  This wasn't a case of people starting off with a good idea and good intentions then giving in to temptations to start doing shady stuff. This was "hey lets use this crypto stuff to scam people out of their money"  right from the start.   He even scammed the justice system at the end.   Did you catch the part at the end about his new venture is a company to provide loans to poor people at 50% interest?  I'm sure that will be on the up and up.

7 hours ago, rkbabang said:

Yeah, that was the most unbelievable part.  This wasn't a case of people starting off with a good idea and good intentions then giving in to temptations to start doing shady stuff. This was "hey lets use this crypto stuff to scam people out of their money"  right from the start.   He even scammed the justice system at the end.   Did you catch the part at the end about his new venture is a company to provide loans to poor people at 50% interest?  I'm sure that will be on the up and up.

At 50% interest rate, isn't that loan sharking? I mean... and people talk about cc interest rate.

I watched 1MDB on Netflix too and Tinder Swinder -- just sad seeing people skirt pass their bad deeds.

18 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

"The Holdovers" in Peacock. Paul Giamatti is great in this one. It's probably becoming a Xmas classic.

This was a great movie. It's not my type of film but I really liked it. Must have been the nostalgia.

6 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

"The Holdovers" in Peacock. Paul Giamatti is great in this one. It's probably becoming a Xmas classic.

If you want to save yourself some time, skip "Rebel Moon" (Netflix)

thanks. 
I was enthused by the story that the director (Zack) had pitched this to Lucasfilm but they had rejected it. And now Zack Synder was going to release that story on Netflix. Big loss for SW. 

I watched 30 min to find out that this is garbage. I was giving it benefit of doubt given that I like Zack. 

then they threw in another story on the net that there is a R-rated version. And stay tuned for that. Yeah. Whatever 

Edited by Xerxes

On 1/3/2024 at 11:42 PM, rkbabang said:

I watched as well. Thank you. 

most hilarious non believable moments:

- the Koreans got into the act

- the backstory of the “CEO”

- the scammers being scammed by the “law firm”

- “time served” verdict

conclusion:

- it seems in Florida you can do whatever you want. 

1 minute ago, Xerxes said:

I watched as well. Thank you. 

most hilarious non believable moments:

- the Koreans got into the act

- the backstory of the “CEO”

- the scammers being scammed by the “law firm”

- “time served” verdict

conclusion:

- it seems in Florida you can do whatever you want. 

Yeah, the law firm was great!  Cosmic Justice.  That was the only justice in the whole story.

2 hours ago, Xerxes said:

thanks. 
I was enthused by the story that the director (Zack) had pitched this to Lucasfilm but they had rejected it. And now Zack Synder was going to release that story on Netflix. Big loss for SW. 

I watched 30 min to find out that this is garbage. I was giving it benefit of doubt given that I like Zack. 

then they threw in another story on the net that there is a R-rated version. And stay tuned for that. Yeah. Whatever 

Yup!  Other than the final 10-15 minute battle scene, the movie really sucked.  Even Zack's usually interesting imagery was missing for most of the movie.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

Yup!  Other than the final 10-15 minute battle scene, the movie really sucked.  Even Zack's usually interesting imagery was missing for most of the movie.  Cheers!

I ll take Zack Snyder’s 300 Spartans going after those villainous Persians any day over this Rebel Moon abomination. 

4 hours ago, Xerxes said:

thanks. 

Well,why would Disney take this? Rebel Moon is basically a Star Wars close as far as the storyline is concerned. And Zack not being creative with his imagery like @Parsad makes this a B- movie.

5 hours ago, Spekulatius said:

Well,why would Disney take this? Rebel Moon is basically a Star Wars close as far as the storyline is concerned. And Zack not being creative with his imagery like @Parsad makes this a B- movie.

agreed. 
but it was advertised as such that it was Lucasfilm loss for missing out on this supposed great Zack’ story. And that Netflix now got it. Check mate Walt Disney !!!

I rather watch the Mandelorian 10 times in a row over and over than be subjected to 10 min of Rebel Moon. 

True Detective:  Night Country starring Jodie Foster is out now.  I saw the first episode and you forget what a superb actor she is/was.  The first episode was really good...look forward to watching the series.  Cheers!

2 hours ago, Parsad said:

True Detective:  Night Country starring Jodie Foster is out now.  I saw the first episode and you forget what a superb actor she is/was.  The first episode was really good...look forward to watching the series.  Cheers!

Brilliant,  will be watching.  Season 1 is one of my GOATS.  Season 2 not so much,  didn’t even realise until your post that there was an S03,  is it worth a watch or jump to S04?

Edited by nwoodman

2 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Brilliant,  will be watching.  Season 1 is one of my GOATS.  Season 2 not so much,  didn’t even realise until your post that there was an S03,  is it worth a watch or jump to S04?

I watched the first episode of Night Country as it dropped and it is superb. Great backdrop, storyline and acting. TV at its finest.

10 hours ago, nwoodman said:

Did not see S03...will probably go back and watch.  S02 was more of an action thriller.  S01 was epic and just brilliant!

S04 has gotten off to a great start...the creepiness and acting is on par with S01 in the first episode.  Writing is very clever in this one...especially coming out of Jodie Foster's witty, sharp-tongued mouth.  Hints of a disturbed version of Fargo so far...the movie, not series. 

Cheers!

True Detective Season 4 trailer looked very icy and cold. I am waiting for the weekend. It is going to be -20 where I am. So that I can watch it an enjoy it. 

wont be like -50 as I heard Western Canada will be. But that will do

10 hours ago, Xerxes said:

True Detective Season 4 trailer looked very icy and cold. I am waiting for the weekend. It is going to be -20 where I am. So that I can watch it an enjoy it. 

wont be like -50 as I heard Western Canada will be. But that will do

That's exactly how the first episode was...so probably a good idea to watch it on the weekend with some hot popcorn and a nice drink!

We got down to -14 Celsius here in Vancouver a couple of days ago.  People were playing hockey on frozen lakes and rivers.  With the wind chill, it hit -21 in Vancouver, which rarely happens nowadays.  Used to happen a lot when I was young, but rarely ever gets that cold in the last 40 years. 

Cheers!

13 hours ago, Parsad said:

With the wind chill, it hit -21 in Vancouver, which rarely happens nowadays.  Used to happen a lot when I was young, but rarely ever gets that cold in the last 40 years. 

Cheers!

be safe