Movies and TV shows (general recommendation thread)

Liberty

Finished Shogun recently and also loved it.

A decent watch which I haven't seen mentioned is a French showed called (in English anyway) Of Money and Blood.

It's based on the ~2008 VAT/Carbon credit exchange scam that embezzled 1.6b? Euro's.

I'm not certain what services (if any) are streaming it - I watched it on a free-to-air channel here in Australia (SBS). 

I wasn't a big fan of the most recent season of the bear (absolutely loved the first 2); I heard someone say it felt like a season of filler-episodes, which I unfortunately agree with.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished watching GoT. Great show, I think easily could be in my top 5 favourites.

Greatest take away: chaos is a ladder, but do not overplay this, or you can get your throat cut:)))

Edited by UK

On 7/29/2024 at 3:52 AM, Parsad said:

C'mon!  Tonight's episode of House of Dragons was just stellar. 

One of the best episodes ever of any of the GOT-themed stories!  If you are a fan, you are going to love it! 

Cheers!

I loved the show. But I thought the finale was a big letdown. 

so now the actors are going to look 2 years older for season 3, as the battle was just about to rage at the end of season 2.

reminds me of Star Trek The Best of Both Worlds, as season premier picks up exactly where the finale left, literally in the same scene, but the actors look like they had a good summer on the beach. 

If you have seen the drama with the woman who almost won India's first gold medal in wrestling in the Olympics, but was disqualified when she didn't make the weight cutoff for the finals, check out Dangal on Netflix.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5074352/

The father is a wrestler who had no sons, so he trains his daughters and they eventually become well decorated wrestlers.  One of them won gold in the Commonwealth games.  The woman in the Olympics is his niece, who he also trained. 

3 hours ago, UK said:

Finished watching GoT. Great show, I think easily could be in my top 5 favourites.

Greatest take away: chaos is a ladder, but do not overplay this, or you can get your throat cut:)))

Watching season 2 of House of Dragons 👏

13 hours ago, Xerxes said:

I loved the show. But I thought the finale was a big letdown. 

so now the actors are going to look 2 years older for season 3, as the battle was just about to rage at the end of season 2.

reminds me of Star Trek The Best of Both Worlds, as season premier picks up exactly where the finale left, literally in the same scene, but the actors look like they had a good summer on the beach. 

I think most people were a bit disappointed that they didn't actually get the war going, but Season 3 should be epic...probably lots of crucial deaths and dead dragons!  Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Movie was terrific, but miscast.  Otherwise would have succeeded like Heat.  I've spent years thinking about this...kind of like how the ending to GOT was screwed up!  🙂  

Colin Farrell didn't have any of the charm of Don Johnson...should have been Matthew McConaughey.  Gong Li was also a big mistake...no chemistry with Colin Farrell.  Could have been someone like Marion Cotillard or Zhang Ziyi.

Jamie Foxx was excellent, as was Naomi Harris and Elizabeth Rodriguez as Trudy and Gina.  Foxx had the charisma of Phillip Michael Thomas, but a more explosive intensity that fit this version of the show.

Castillo was also miscast...should have used someone like Andy Garcia or Benicio Del Toro.

I love Michael Mann's movies, but as a Miami Vice superfan who waited nearly two decades to see a movie of it...it could have been much better!  Cheers!

5 hours ago, Parsad said:

like how the ending to GOT was screwed up!  🙂  

Why do you think it was screwed up? I thought it was quite well done, unpredictable till the end? I did not like this episode about the expedition to the north to bring the wight sample:), but what was wrong with the ending?

Edited by UK

2 hours ago, UK said:

Why do you think it was screwed up? I thought it was quite well done, unpredictable till the end? I did not like this episode about the expedition to the north to bring the wight sample:), but what was wrong with the ending?

I liked  the GOT ending as well. I wonder why people disliked it and honestly have no idea.

To disliking GOT ending ******spoilers dont read if you intend to watch GOT and havent seen the ending **** 

my opinion. didnt hate it but was disappointed.

I think the hate is in line with this. It was far to rushed. Dany's de-evolution from the savior queen breaker of chains etc... to mad queen takes place over like 2-3 episodes and felt like it came suddenly out of nowhere.  You have a 7 season build up of the enemy behind the wall and then that enemy is defeated in 1 episode in a single battle by a single person. As a fan of the books this was huge disappointment to me I wanted to see the White walkers destroy 2/3s or more of westeros before humanity pulled its act together. Or in George RR martin style just screw westeros and the dead win lol. take your dragons back across the sea.  euron killing a dragon 1 shot. They dont give enough character development to euron in the show. but in the books hes crazy.... so i dont question his ability but i felt like it was lacking in build up. I could go on. 

But the sentiment i think you would find accross most fans is that it was rushed.  So yea i dont hate how it ended i just wish it took at least another season to develop it and get it there instead of saying Bam heres how it ends. 

We started watching Kleo on Netflix, very good so far.  It's like Killing Eve.  She was an East German assassin and was betrayed and sent to prison right before the collapse of the Berlin Wall.  She was freed as a political prisoner and sets out tracking down her former colleagues and killing them.  Dark humor and action.  

15 minutes ago, Spekulatius said:

I liked  the GOT ending as well. I wonder why people disliked it and honestly have no idea.

They rushed the last episode where they essentially wrapped up the future of the Seven Kingdoms in 30 minutes. 

Arya goes through everything she does to simply walk away from killing Cersei?!  That makes no sense at all!

Daenerys goes batshit crazy?!

Jon, the rightful king sails away from both the North and ruling the Seven Kingdoms after he kills Daenerys?!

Ending was just a mess, including the writing, since Martin never finished the last book so Benioff and Weiss put it together based on conversations with Martin.

Cheers!

8 hours ago, Parsad said:

Movie was terrific, but miscast.  Otherwise would have succeeded like Heat.  I've spent years thinking about this...

Ha. Me too.

Colin Farrell didn't have any of the charm of Don Johnson...should have been Matthew McConaughey. 

I actually liked Colin Farrell (per Mann, he was Don Johnson's choice).

Gong Li was also a big mistake...no chemistry with Colin Farrell.  Could have been someone like Marion Cotillard or Zhang Ziyi.

Yeah, wholly unconvincing. 

Jamie Foxx was excellent, as was Naomi Harris and Elizabeth Rodriguez as Trudy and Gina.  Foxx had the charisma of Phillip Michael Thomas, but a more explosive intensity that fit this version of the show.

Foxx (and his hairline) didn't work for me:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/345d8b15-1ace-4af1-a42e-7e0cb70c8942

Yeesh. This wasn't Bad Boys.

Castillo was also miscast...should have used someone like Andy Garcia or Benicio Del Toro.

Maybe, but not a difference maker.

I love Michael Mann's movies, but as a Miami Vice superfan who waited nearly two decades to see a movie of it...it could have been much better!  Cheers!

Sure, but there's something fun about spending years thinking about it.

7 hours ago, Parsad said:

They rushed the last episode where they essentially wrapped up the future of the Seven Kingdoms in 30 minutes. 

Arya goes through everything she does to simply walk away from killing Cersei?!  That makes no sense at all!

Daenerys goes batshit crazy?!

Jon, the rightful king sails away from both the North and ruling the Seven Kingdoms after he kills Daenerys?!

Ending was just a mess, including the writing, since Martin never finished the last book so Benioff and Weiss put it together based on conversations with Martin.

Cheers!

not even close.

the last few seasons of GoT (not just the very last season) were in fact not even written yet. At some point though, they just didnt know where Martin was going. 

i have read all the published books. It diverged long before the last season. 

Also reality is that both the directors and actors had a life to get on with. 

Amazingly good movie about political correctness, Danish production, @John Hjorth. Plays in Italy, Netherlands, and Denmark, mixed danish/English language. Highly recommended. 

Gotta warn you though, not for the faint-hearted...

Edited by Luke

Just finished off Monk tv series with the family which was just great. Currently watching Fresh Off the Boat which is also good fun with the family. Enjoyed watching Green Book which had a wonderful message.

I'm becoming more appreciative of scriptwriting and story-telling that excludes nudity / sexually-suggestive / F-bombs / politics (which, these days, is a very very short list). To that end, I think the LoTR Trilogy is one of the greatest films ever made, great story, suitable for all! 

34 minutes ago, Onefoothurdles said:

To that end, I think the LoTR Trilogy is one of the greatest films ever made, great story, suitable for all!

+1

6 hours ago, jouni1 said:

Ripley on Netflix was just all around amazing. Was a sad moment when it ended. 

Yes, Ripley is an excellent miniseries in vintage film noir style. Very much recommended.

I watched Predestination yesterday on Amazon Prime. An excellent  SciFi movie that I have not heard about before. I recommend it too if you like the time traveling genre.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2397535/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Edited by Spekulatius

Any other Alone fans on here? 

My wife and I are huge fans of Alone on the history channel. This season (11) has been awesome. Solid contestants and an area that isn't terrible for food procurement. 

I call it the real life "hunger" games. 

Anyone body seen Babylon Berlin season 4?

I have seen season 1 through 3

it is a pity. With good shows you have to chase to figure out where to watch them. With the net being full of contradictory facts on distribution.