What was your last discretionary purchase?

Nell-e

One 16 oz glass bottle of organic, cruelty free, non-GMO, not tested on animals, reverse osmosis, ozonated water.

Being cheapskate value investor I just drank a glass of tap water instead.  8)

I am sure I or someone paid for it with our taxes.

One 16 oz glass bottle of organic, cruelty free, non-GMO, not tested on animals, reverse osmosis, ozonated water.

Being cheapskate value investor I just drank a glass of tap water instead.  8)

I am sure I or someone paid for it with our taxes.

LOL he just described distilled water. I use lots of that stuff.

Anyone using restaurant delivery services like Grubhub, Instacart, Caviar more often lately?

Anyone brave enough to admit that they're subscribing to WWE Network?  The stock has quadrupled this year.

Not more than usual and no.

I will also need winter tires.

You change tires for the winter?  :o

Yeah, I know my relatives do this in Lithuania where it is required. I think you're the first person I've heard to do this in US.

As you know, I live pretty much in the countryside. Quite a few people got winter tires even in LI. I had trouble the first year in my Hyundai to get even up the slightest hills in my “all weather” tires, when the road wasn’t serviced. Our Subaru doesn’t have that problem.

Yeah, I know my relatives do this in Lithuania where it is required. I think you're the first person I've heard to do this in US.

I live in W. Canada, where this is pretty much a requirement for anyone who drives in the winter.

I would have thought lots of places in the US would be similar (Colorado, Montana, Minnesota, Vermont, etc).

I live in W. Canada, where this is pretty much a requirement for anyone who drives in the winter.

I would have thought lots of places in the US would be similar (Colorado, Montana, Minnesota, Vermont, etc).

In November and December there is a premium to trucks on Craigslist with studded tires. I guess it's just easier to buy a new truck with the tires then buy the tires?

My last set of truck tires had spots for studs.  It's snowy and hilly here, and they don't clear well.  I've been in a few situations where I wish I had studs.

Retro 51 Tornado Mechanical Pencil, Dmitri Periodic Table of Elements for $36 from AMZN

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGK83CY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What can I say? I'm a nerd.

Cool pencil!

My last purchase was a used book off Amazon called "Mathematics Applied to Deterministic Problems in the Natural Sciences", which I will read entirely for fun. So I out-nerded you there by a considerable margin.

Agree with whoever said to buy an economics book.  At a minimum read up on some basic econ on Wikipedia or something.

If you ignore the basics you'll be posting "I found a steel company at all time highs, and their P/E is only 8, it's a deal right?"

If you're talking to me, I majored in Econ and have moved beyond using classical theory as a framework for thinking through outcomes.

I hate borrowing other people's quotes but when you can't say it any better.

Jeff Bezos

"The thing I have noticed is when the anecdotes and the data disagree, the anecdotes are usually right. There's something wrong with the way you are measuring it,"

Anyone using restaurant delivery services like Grubhub, Instacart, Caviar more often lately?

Anyone brave enough to admit that they're subscribing to WWE Network?  The stock has quadrupled this year.

Yes, we use a service called "SkipTheDishes" about 2 times a week.  We eat out about 2 times a week.  I buy breakfast or lunch generally 2-4 times a week.  I also use Save-On-Foods grocery delivery business 2 times a month.  If we have guests over we may cook or barbecue, but sometimes we also use a food delivery service...be it SkipTheDishes or a restaurant's own delivery. 

I do not watch wrestling, but I do watch a lot of sports...I do not subscribe to any specific sports network.

My last discretionary purchase were healthy wraps from Chopped Leaf today for dinner for my family...I picked them up when I dropped off my dry-cleaning.  Cheers!

I haven't lived in any of the states above. It's not a requirement in MA (or NH AFAIK).

Personally I don't drive if there's snow and it hasn't been cleaned from the roads/streets. It seems that in Europe (even rich(er) countries like Finland) they don't clean the roads as much as in US. In MA next day after snow it's all clean asphalt pretty much even on minor streets (Boston area, might be different in western MA, I don't know). In Helsinki, for example, you have snow and slush on the streets even if it hasn't snowed for a while (?). So I don't use winter tires although I agree that they would be needed if you had to drive during snow (e.g. have to get to work even on snow days, etc.).

Studded tires are allowed/banned per state, so check state laws.

More discussion: https://community.cartalk.com/t/do-i-need-studded-snow-tires-in-ma/82516/21

Retro 51 Tornado Mechanical Pencil, Dmitri Periodic Table of Elements for $36 from AMZN

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DGK83CY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What can I say? I'm a nerd.

Cool pencil!

My last purchase was a used book off Amazon called "Mathematics Applied to Deterministic Problems in the Natural Sciences", which I will read entirely for fun. So I out-nerded you there by a considerable margin.

You did!

I've never changed my tires, but after my son totaled his car his first winter driving a few years ago shortly after turning 16, my wife insisted that we buy him a Subaru Forester and put winter tires on it for him every winter.

I haven't lived in any of the states above. It's not a requirement in MA (or NH AFAIK).

Personally I don't drive if there's snow and it hasn't been cleaned from the roads/streets. It seems that in Europe (even rich(er) countries like Finland) they don't clean the roads as much as in US. In MA next day after snow it's all clean asphalt pretty much even on minor streets (Boston area, might be different in western MA, I don't know). In Helsinki, for example, you have snow and slush on the streets even if it hasn't snowed for a while (?). So I don't use winter tires although I agree that they would be needed if you had to drive during snow (e.g. have to get to work even on snow days, etc.).

Studded tires are allowed/banned per state, so check state laws.

More discussion: https://community.cartalk.com/t/do-i-need-studded-snow-tires-in-ma/82516/21

I'm in NH and the only change I make is that if it snows I drive my Sequoia in 4WD mode and once the streets are clear, the next day like you said, I will switch back to my Hyundai.  I usually go to work regardless of the snow unless there is over 15-20+ inches on the streets.