If American - which presidential candidate will you vote for?

LongHaul
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The contortions of some "respected" CoBF posters on this thread are completely disgusting.

+1. Some people tie themselves into pretzel trying to rationalize their vote. It would be so much easier just to admit: "I am a GOP voter. I *always* vote GOP. It doesn't matter to me who the nominee is." And leave it at that.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised by the extrapolation some are making about Trump without evidence and even when contrary evidence is available ignoring it.  For example, has anyone thought of his statements as conversation starting points which can be changed over time versus actual ending points.  The focus is on words not actions.  The train of thought is what someone says not what they do should disqualify them.  They key assumption here is what they say they will do.  However, as we all know with Mr. Trump, this in many case may not be the truth. 

I feel bad that the Khan's have been duped by Clinton et. al. into this.  He appears to have jumped to the conclusion that Mr. Trump is a racist and hates Muslims, baited in part by the DNC.  What I fund puzzling is that the original issue (temporary ban on Muslims entering the US has been changed to those from areas with high high terrorist activities) was changed to not specifically ban Muslims (the original issue) but the manipulators continue with their Crusade.  This is the same thing the DNC has done with other groups to win there favor so it should be no surprise.  He is a patriotic man as his son gave the ultimate price but the Clinton's think folks will give him a "free pass" on his political views because of his sacrifice.  Similar to the "free pass" that they use based upon past abuses of minorities and women in the US to gain support. 

If you look at this and other situations as Clinton and the DNC being the manipulators you can see that the danger is not with Trump and his mouth (everyone can see this) but with Clinton and her manipulation (which appears covert).  The Russia situation is another case in point.  Do you seriously think the Russians are more likely to hack because of Mr. Trump's statements?  Do his statements about having fair negotiations with our allies make it worse?  In the manipulative mind of the Clinton's it does.  I would rather deal with the loud mouth I can see (and who has changed his positions favorably, like the temporary Muslim ban to temporary regional ban) versus the manipulator I cannot and who has not changed but manipulates the situation.

One question I have about all the list items folks have as negative about Trump, what evidence do you have that any action was taken back up the offensive statements?  This is where the Nazi comparison falls apart.  Do not others use these words in a similar fashion that you would not call racist?  folks like comedians? 

The other missing piece is a comparison and contrast between Mr. Trump & Clinton which is what IMO should be done.  Rather just a test with the criteria manipulated by Clinton to disqualify Trump.  This is just shades of the democratic nomination all over again.  You can not approve of Trump's comments and still find the weight of evidence of him versus Mrs. Clinton tipping in his favor.   

Packer

Putin is trying to influence the election in favor of Trump. If I were Putin, I would do the same.

The link below is not related to the election at all, it is a very interesting piece by itself. It shows how Russia uses Internet/Social Media and the vast network it employs. If you read it you can see how Putin could be playing this game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/07/magazine/the-agency.html

If Russia is not strongly in favor of Trump, why do you think they released the emails when they did?

If you think this is all some elaborate manipulation by Mrs. Clinton into fooling us to think of Russian connection, I am dumbfounded.

Vinod

If you think this is all some elaborate manipulation by Mrs. Clinton into fooling us to think of Russian connection, I am dumbfounded.

Vinod

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-clinton-foundation-state-and-kremlin-connections-1469997195

Why did Hillary’s State Department urge U.S. investors to fund Russian research for military uses?

“The FBI believes the true motives of the Russian partners, who are often funded by their government, is to gain access to classified, sensitive, and emerging technology from the companies.”

What is so surprising to me democrats are trying to make honesty and straightforwardness an issue and did they forget Hillary Clinton is their nominee?

Buffett strongly endorses Hillary Clinton and rips into Trump at a rally in Omaha today .....

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-08-01/clinton-looks-for-buffett-s-help-to-burnish-economic-credentials

Generally when a second level thinker such as Buffett has a strong view on a matter it is worth listening too.

He has a history of supporting Democrats, Munger usually supports Republicans.

Buffett strongly endorses Hillary Clinton and rips into Trump at a rally in Omaha today .....

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2016-08-01/clinton-looks-for-buffett-s-help-to-burnish-economic-credentials

Generally when a second level thinker such as Buffett has a strong view on a matter it is worth listening too.

Buffett teachings overall actually make me vote for Trump.  Read Buffett articles on how dangerous to the country huge trade deficits are.  He used to have an article right on Berkshire website published on Fortune titled "Trade Deficit Is Selling the Nation out From Under Us"

You just know that after today there's a gonna be tweet coming up and a new nickname for Warren.

"Goofy Warren Buffett! That guy's a LOOSER! Believe me! Berkshire Hathaway used to be a textile company but he couldn't sell shirts and ties. He FAILED! He FAILED! I can sell shits and ties! And they're Great! They're great! Believe me! Nobody sells shirts and ties like Donald Trump!"

Ha Ha just kidding, he doesn't know the word textile.

If I were Trump I would just tweet this

America's Growing Trade Deficit Is Selling The Nation Out From Under Us. Here's A Way To Fix The Problem--And We Need To Do It Now.

By Warren E. Buffett Carol J. Loomis

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2003/11/10/352872/index.htm

But since the cost of servicing the debt is much lower than ever (and quite a bit of the debt is even being monetized while the dollar remains strong), the main costs of running a large trade deficit outlined in the article are no longer present and the conclusion that the deficit is a major problem is not valid in the current circumstances. In fact, given the current strength of the US dollar, one could argue that the deficits are too small. If your trade partners are willing to lend to you at negative real (and maybe even nominal) rates, it would actually be financially irresponsible to run small trade deficits and not take advantage of the situation.

America's Growing Trade Deficit Is Selling The Nation Out From Under Us. Here's A Way To Fix The Problem--And We Need To Do It Now.

http://archive.fortune.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2003/11/10/352872/index.htm

So you would basically advise your candidate to tweet a 13 year old article written when the economic situation was much different than it is today. An article which ascribes the cause of the trade deficit to a wholly different issue as your candidate and which prescribes a completely different and opposite solution as your candidate.

Yep. That sounds about right for Trump.

So you would basically advise your candidate to tweet a 13 year old article written when the economic situation was much different than it is today. An article which ascribes the cause of the trade deficit to a wholly different issue as your candidate and which prescribes a completely different and opposite solution as your candidate.

Did you even read the article?  The problem with trade deficit is transfer of wealth to other countries.  That nature of trade deficit does not change with time.  It is like the law of gravity is same in year 2000 and year 2016.

The solution advocated by Buffett is tariff, same as Trump. To quote the article "To see what would happen to imports, let's look at a car now entering the U.S. at a cost to the importer of $20,000. Under the new plan and the assumption that ICs sell for 10%, the importer's cost would rise to $22,000".

We get Trump trolls, even on a board like this.

Unbelievable.

I am not sure if you know the meaning of troll - it literally means ugly creature. I hope we can manage better language than that in this forum.

And when did it become ugly to quote Buffett articles in this forum?

LOOSER!

Ha Ha just kidding, he doesn't know the word textile.

Let me teach you a new word: Dunning-Kruger.

Great observation.  Explains many of the posters here in their twenty's, possessing little life experience, yet are extremely sure of themselves.

Did you even read the article?  The problem with trade deficit is transfer of wealth to other countries.  That nature of trade deficit does not change with time.  It is like the law of gravity is same in year 2000 and year 2016.

The solution advocated by Buffett is tariff, same as Trump. To quote the article "To see what would happen to imports, let's look at a car now entering the U.S. at a cost to the importer of $20,000. Under the new plan and the assumption that ICs sell for 10%, the importer's cost would rise to $22,000".

It's not a blanket across-the-board tariff that Trump is endorsing, which can have very distortive effects. The credits that Buffett references will have a market-clearing type characteristics that will continually adjust the level of the "tariff" in accordance with market supply and demand. That is a very crucial difference. Tariffs are not just black or white or good or bad, it's the use of it that matters. Either way, Buffett concedes that tariffs, regardless of the magnitude, will raise costs for American consumers. Trump just paints them as creating "millions and millions' of new jobs and getting back at the crooked Chinese.

Also, that article was written over 13 years ago and the circumstances of the US economy currently are very, very different.

We get Trump trolls, even on a board like this.

Unbelievable.

I am not sure if you know the meaning of troll - it literally means ugly creature. I hope we can manage better language than that in this forum.

And when did it become ugly to quote Buffett articles in this forum?

Trolling is putting the bait out out on the hook and dragging it behind the boat until a fish bites.  Then it's the sport of fighting the fish.  Trolling is a form of fishing, it's done for amusement/entertainment.

A troll is somebody who is putting out an argument and waiting for somebody to take them up on it, then enjoying the struggle of the argument/debate.

Guest MarkS

Wow! I've read through this link and am generally appalled at the lack of civility and respect for fellow members.

MarkS

Regardless of your view of his policies (whatever they are), his "F-U" to the establishment, his tough talk on trade and immigration - this is simply not a person who should be representing America to the world.

I thought the comments on women and Mexicans were bad.  Then the making fun of the disabled journalist.  Then the racist comments about the judge.  Then the invitation to Russia to hack his competition.  But I'm sorry, the comments about the Khan family - and the refusal to apologize!?!?!?!?! I've sacrificed a lot because I've been very successful????  Shameful and embarrassing.  This is not a person with the temperament and disposition to be the global and public leader of America.  That's not what I want my kids growing up emulating, regardless of policy positions.

+1

This morning---11 Gold Star  family members penned an open letter to Trump demanding he apologize to the Khans for his "repugnant" remarks made in response to the Khan's appearance at the DNC. Mr. and Mrs. Khan both spoke on CNN this morning about their love of the U.S. and the character of son who made the ultimate sacrifice in service of his country. I invite all of you to watch the interview and attempt to connect with their grief as well as with their love of the U.S.

How can any active military person or veteran not be disgusted by Trump's comments. Why would anyone enter any branch of military service in the U.S. if Trump became President knowing that if you die in service that Trump would respond by ridiculing your parents in the time of their ultimate grief.

Trump is not fit to be President---I am not sure how any sane person can think or believe otherwise.

+ 1

Trump is serving as a wake up call for the American political system.  The Republican party needs to be slaughtered in this election and remake itself after the election.  The republicans created this monstrosity. A reasonable moderate republican could easily have beaten Clinton.  But they created such an anti-progressive negative environment, since 2008, that they gave rise to this buffoonism. 

At this point the Republican ticket is completely unravelling: Trump is self destructing.  He fired the manager he just hired.  Now he is claiming the system is rigged against him, I guess just like the Republican primaries were rigged against him.  He is thin skinned and cant take criticism.  He operates without a political platfrom, with nothing to say on real issues, because he actually doesn't know or read anything.  I have alot of respect for Romney, Mccain, Boehner, Ryan, as high level republicans.  But Trump is a piece of garbage as a human being. 

Why wont Trump issue his tax returns? The answer is so obvious: he is essentially broke.  This is his biggest lie of all.  I am a great businessman, a great deal maker.  If the tax returns were released everyone would see the truth.  He is a lousy businessman, who has relied on bullying to get his way to the extent that no one of business quality will deal with him. 

So, we, the world are stuck with Clinton for 4 years, and its all the Republicans fault.