If American - which presidential candidate will you vote for?

LongHaul
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Right, a star of David plastered on top of a pile of money is not offensive to Jews at all. They love that.

Once again, someone projected their beliefs as to another group's beliefs.  Kids in Jewish preschools draw Jewish stars all of the time.  The symbol is something they are proud of, not an offense.

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hillary is one of the best candidates America has ever had. Sad most Americans can't realize this. She has done and said many things that I disagree with, but this is about as rational, informed and intelligent a candidate as you can expect. The relentless attacks from the right (for decades now) have turned a flawed person (and every one of you is flawed, and is guilty of lying from time to time to come of as better than you actually are) into a monster. Hillary has told her share of lies, but every other sentence out of Trump's mouth is a lie, misrepresentation or a self-serving boast, but his supporter base is full of morons who can't seem to realize this or don't seem to care. It's the Dunning-Kruger effect in its full, depressing glory. If Hillary told half the bullshit that comes out of Trump's mouth on a daily basis, she would not be a serious candidate, and I think that tells you a lot about the voter base of each candidate.

Amazing that some people here are even taking Trump seriously. This isn't even a political thing, where I'm just trying to bash the Republican guy (I think much of the republican party is repulsive, dangerous and backwards but I wouldn't criticize say...Romney, if he were the candidate), but it's on the basis of the fact that Trump is a moron, and the worst kind of a moron, the kind of pompous moron who walks into every room thinking he is actually the smartest person. This guy sounds uninformed on just about every issue he touches. We have people here who seem to associate richness with goodness and competence, so I guess there's some truth to the saying "a rich man's folly passes for good judgement". How much money he has, how many times he went bankrupt, why he is hiding his tax returns, this is all irrelevant, just pay attention to what he is actually saying and realize that he knows nothing and is proposing one reckless thing after another, and that's the scary thing about him.

+1 on this. It is impossible for a politician, ESPECIALLY one who has been in office as long as her, to not be dishonest or disingenuous to some degree. This is the nature of politics. For all the talk about Sanders and his integrity during this election season, he has also stretched the truth and pandered to public prejudices.

Hillary has proven herself to be a very rational thinker and a fighter and she has plenty of experience. Various groups in the Right have pummeled her for decades to the point that the perception of her has deviated massively from the reality.

Her most relevant experience, as secretary of state, left the world a significantly less safe place. Libya being the clearest example: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/28/us/politics/hillary-clinton-libya.html?_r=0

If Gary Johnson were one of the buttons I'd click on him if for no better reason than he's less flawed than the other two individuals. 

Hillary Clinton's capital gains tax rate plan is given in below article. May be this deserves a separate thread.  As I understand Clinton thinks that if the short term definition is lengthened, people will hold on for longer times and this is good for small investor.

Lets take 2000 or 2008....I don't think people who sold it at that time had gains to worry about capital gains. So where is she getting this idea that longer and higher short term capital gains will help people hold on to stocks longer? The problem as I understand is tendency to sell when the stocks fall down and buy when they go up.  But this would be exacerbated by Clinton's plan.  Any discussion and how to deal with such higher short term CG?  These CG seems to be in additional to state taxes and medicare surcharges.

http://taxfoundation.org/blog/details-hillary-clinton-s-capital-gains-tax-proposal

Regarding the homicides of the police officers and young black men (mentioned in that link you posted)...

Probably what's driving that is the legal code that we have, more than the guns.

The legal code says that you can bring a contract dispute to a courtroom if the underlying activity is legal.  So in other words, if you are a black market businessman the courts will not help you resolve a contract dispute.

So you rely on enforcing the contract yourself.

The problem is that we have a huge underground economy -- therefore, a lot of "do it yourself" contract enforcement.

Legalizing the underground activity would probably resolve the violence -- the businessmen could instead properly bring their disputes into a court of law.

Regarding the homicides of the police officers and young black men (mentioned in that link you posted)...

Probably what's driving that is the legal code that we have, more than the guns.

The legal code says that you can bring a contract dispute to a courtroom if the underlying activity is legal.  So in other words, if you are a black market businessman the courts will not help you resolve a contract dispute.

The problem is that we have a huge underground economy -- therefore, a lot of "do it yourself" contract enforcement.

Legalizing the underground activity would probably resolve the violence -- the businessmen could instead properly bring their disputes into a court of law.

I presume you are speaking of illegal drugs.  If marijuana, cocaine, heroine, speed, etc. were legalized, 98% of the dealers today would be out of business in six months. 

If you could get a prescription for cocaine filled at most pharmacies for $25 who is going to buy it from a "do it yourself" dealer?

The power of the Mexican cartels would collapse almost instantly.  The Taliban would be hurt also.

Certain communities in America would have to adjust, as one of their prime economic engines would be destroyed...

It certainly would be a different world!

I presume you are speaking of illegal drugs.  If marijuana, cocaine, heroine, speed, etc. were legalized, 98% of the dealers today would be out of business in six months. 

If you could get a prescription for cocaine filled at most pharmacies for $25 who is going to buy it from a "do it yourself" dealer?

The power of the Mexican cartels would collapse almost instantly.  The Taliban would be hurt also.

Certain communities in America would have to adjust, as one of their prime economic engines would be destroyed...

A society in which ALL contract disputes could be resolved in a court of law should tend to be a relatively less violent society.  It's sort of like a "Well...  Duh" statement.

Reducing vigilante violence was likely the original motivation of the contract law.

Nice thought... not gonna happen. I think that marijuana will eventually be legalized. That would probably lead to a lower incarceration rate (good). But there's no hope for legalization of the harder stuff in today's society. That would require a major shift in values and beliefs. Even if that happens I don't share your cartels will be out of business in 6 months view. Look at today's pharma state. What prescription can you get filled for $25? Even if you do get legalization, the cartels will probably be by far the low cost provider with the pharmas gaining only minor market share and the troubles will continue.

Nice thought... not gonna happen. I think that marijuana will eventually be legalized. That would probably lead to a lower incarceration rate (good). But there's no hope for legalization of the harder stuff in today's society. That would require a major shift in values and beliefs. Even if that happens I don't share your cartels will be out of business in 6 months view. Look at today's pharma state. What prescription can you get filled for $25? Even if you do get legalization, the cartels will probably be by far the low cost provider with the pharmas gaining only minor market share and the troubles will continue.

I have to disagree with you 10000%

What R&D is going to be needed by any major company to make cocaine?  Two dudes in a lab...no legions of scientists & researchers & clinical trials needed.  Cocaine can be produced just like any other generic, over the counter drug.  Heck, $25 might even be too much....Bring it in by the metric ton, process it, distribute it, keep it all above board, and the price collapses.  Junkies might even be able to keep some sort of normal life and not have to turn to crime & violence to support their habit.

The prisons would start emptying out.  Probably 75%+ of crime in America is drug related somehow.

The only reason the Mexican cartels have their power is the IMMENSE profit in smuggling drugs.  Do you think otherwise?

If illegal drugs were like any other over the counter generic, there would be little profit.  Enough profit to make it profitable selling over the counter, not in an illegal fashion.  Not the kind of profit that bribes politicians, pays hit men, and all the other crime. 

I don't think it will happen, but it is an interesting thought exercise.

It's not a question of whether it can be produced and sold cheap. It's a question if whether it will. When i lived in the UK I could buy generic paracetamol (Tylenol) for 0.30 GBP. Over here a small bottle of Tylenol is $12. I recently bought a 120 pills of generic baby aspirin for $25 from a large pharmacy chain. These meds are produced very cheaply but still sold at high prices. If you need more evidence of how pharma charges high prices for cheap generics you can visit the whole Valeant fiasco or similar cases.

On top of all of this you have to assume that the government would tax the shit out of any legalized drug which will also add to the price.

A practical example of this i think it's weed in Amsterdam. The prices at the "coffee shops" are significantly higher than what one would pay at a dealer. my guess that for stronger drugs you'll get an even bigger discrepancy when you mix bad public opinion with government, pharmas, and pharmacies.

A practical example of this i think it's weed in Amsterdam. The prices at the "coffee shops" are significantly higher than what one would pay at a dealer.

The cost of an ounce of whiskey in a bar is significantly higher than what one would pay at Costco.

I doubt a street dealer could offer whiskey cheaper than Costco.

The problem with Amsterdam as an example is likely that you can't buy weed by the pound from Costco in Amsterdam.  They need to fully legalize it before it becomes a viable contemporary example.  Bars are always expensive. 

I bet the coffee you buy in that same coffee shop is significantly more expensive than the coffee you can buy in bulk from the Amsterdam grocery store.

A practical example of this i think it's weed in Amsterdam. The prices at the "coffee shops" are significantly higher than what one would pay at a dealer.

I disagree. Amsterdam is not a truly representative sample to select. Amsterdam has, for decades, been an oasis for "legal" drug usage within Europe and the Western world. This has skewed the underlying economics, as it is has become less about the actual drug use and more about the tourism component.

For a better example, take a look at Colorado to see the effect marijuana legalization has had.

Surplus state government budget (they tax weed sales). Reduced crime. Controlled usage. Price and product transparency throughout the industry.

I am moving from NYC to DEN...it is night and day. Here in NYC I would need to "know somebody" to buy marijuana. Which usually involves either buying it from friends if I'm lucky, or having some random dude show up to my apartment. And I have no idea what I'm really buying.

In Denver, I go to a dispensary. It's clean, controlled, and well-serviced. They check my ID before they let me inside. Cameras monitor the entire store. They employee good people, pay taxes, and run a legitimate business. They list the product details, THC % levels, etc. In Denver there are no more street dealers for weed. None. There is zero demand for their services.

I say, fuck it, legalize it nationwide and start legalizing other drugs too. Anyone who thinks people aren't doing drugs because they're illegal is an idiot and knows nothing about human nature. That's half the reason doing drugs is "cool"!

I say, fuck it, legalize it nationwide and start legalizing other drugs too. Anyone who thinks people aren't doing drugs because they're illegal is an idiot and knows nothing about human nature. That's half the reason doing drugs is "cool"!

+1

One of the biggest realizations I had when I moved from the South to NYC was that EVERYONE does drugs. Basically everyone I know in NYC uses some form of casual drug - these are doctors, lawyers, financial professionals, etc. The question isn't are people using - it's what they're using. I know it's different in other parts of the country, but the whole idea of drugs being for criminals and that highly productive, well-behaving, well-paid members of society avoid them is a complete farce.

I agree.  http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/colorado-s-teen-marijuana-usage-dips-after-legalization/

Legalization is not only the only moral option (Why would anyone have a right to tell someone else what substances they can produce, own, buy, sell, or put into their own bodies?), but it is the only option that makes sense from a utilitarian standpoint as well.  Prohibition is a colossal failure everywhere and everytime it is tried.  It is a success in only three areas, police funding, government power, and mob/gang/cartel profits.

Free trade works only if both sides have free trade. Below are couple of articles by NYtimes and one by WSJ.  I am taking Microsoft as an example.  China has #1 PC market, uses MS products heavily, yet their revenue from China is almost nothing.

Of course, long term, America "selling" their products for free to other countries, while paying fair price to other countries for Imports would only lead to huge trade deficits and is not sustainable. It is actually not good for either country. But someone has to make this case. Only one candidate has promised to make this case.

Microsoft Faces New Scrutiny in China

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/06/business/international/microsoft-china-antitrust-inquiry.html

“I think the strategy is essentially what I term de-U.S.A.,” he said.

With Microsoft in Sights, China Starts to Squeeze U.S. Tech Companies

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/business/microsoft-offices-in-china-are-targets-of-authorities-visits.html

Ballmer Bares China Travails

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303654804576347190248544826

I'm no trump supporter but that interviewer was also terrible. Shrill and clueless. Trump was a doofus as always. And Mike Pence doesn't seem like an idiot so I guess he's just shilling out for whatever will increase his political stock.

well I don't think either of them answered a single question she asked them.

Well, to be fair, she asked terrible questions. She repeated herself ad nauseum. And generally I thought she had zero ability to conduct an interview and was instead fishing for soundbites.

well I don't think either of them answered a single question she asked them.

This can't be the first time you've seen a politician being interviewed?

Seriously - every politicians go-to when answering a question is either "bury them with bull sh*t" or "answer a different question that's more favorable to you."

No one every directly answers questions - not in interviews, not in debates, not in anything. The purpose isn't for the general populous to have an idea of who they're electing. The purpose is to get them elected.