Quote of the Day

giofranchi

"Success can’t keep its promises and failure can’t hold its ground. One shouldn’t be bamboozled by either state. The important thing is not to be in a certain state, but to be a certain kind of person in whichever state you find yourself."  (Prof. Michael Ward; May 9, 2015; Hillsdale College commencement address:  https://imprimis.hillsdale.edu/)

A good quote for undergraduate humanities majors who can't find good paying jobs; for value investors; and for life in general.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.

--Ernest Hemingway

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is shoving your superiority into their face.  ;D

We need an "antiquote" thread.  ;)

Another of my favorite authors for quotes is Robert Anton Wilson.  I highly recommend reading everything he's written.

Here are a few quotes:

“belief is the death of intelligence.”

“The normal is that which nobody quite is. If you listen to seemingly dull people very closely, you'll see that they're all mad in different and interesting ways, and are merely struggling to hide it.”

“We're trapped in linguistic constructs... all that is is metaphor.”

“When we meet somebody whose separate tunnel-reality is obviously far different from ours, we are a bit frightened and always disoriented. We tend to think they are mad, or that they are crooks trying to con us in some way, or that they are hoaxers playing a joke. Yet it is neurologically obvious that no two brains have the same genetically-programmed hard wiring, the same imprints, the same conditioning, the same learning experiences. We are all living in separate realities. That is why communication fails so often, and misunderstandings and resentments are so common. I say "meow" and you say "Bow-wow," and each of us is convinced the other is a bit dumb.”

“Every fact of science was once damned. Every invention was considered impossible. Every discovery was a nervous shock to some orthodoxy. Every artistic innovation was denounced as fraud and folly. The entire web of culture and ‘progress,’ everything on earth that is man-made and not given to us by nature, is the concrete manifestation of some man’s refusal to bow to Authority. We would own no more, know no more, and be no more than the first apelike hominids if it were not for the rebellious, the recalcitrant, and the intransigent. As Oscar Wilde truly said, ‘Disobedience was man’s Original Virtue.”

“Is," "is," "is"—the idiocy of the word haunts me. If it were abolished, human thought might begin to make sense. I don't know what anything "is"; I only know how it seems to me at this moment.”

“Nothing of any importance can be taught. It can only be learned, and with blood and sweat.”

“Little Tony was sitting on a park bench munching on one candy bar after another.

After the 6th candy bar a man on the bench across from him said Son you know eating all that candy isn't good for you. It will give you acne rot your teeth and make you fat.

Little Tony replied My grandfather lived to be 107 years old.

The man asked Did you grandfather eat 6 candy bars at a time

Little Tony answered No he minded his own f#cking business.”

Some more here: http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/2918.Robert_Anton_Wilson

“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the men to gather wood, divide the work, and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and endless sea.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Thanks everyone for the posts and have a great weekend!

"Well, that's alright in practice, but it will never work in theory." ~ Warren Buffett, 1984 Letter to Shareholders

'

Bernanke stole that quote from Buffett.

He should have given credit (he said almost the same words regarding QE)

• 2 months later...