Best way to read reports?

matjone

I am wondering how board members read their reports, presentations, etc.?  I hate reading on desktop and laptop computers, so a lot of times I convert it to a pdf and put it on my kindle.  I love reading on it because there's no eye strain and I can assume a comfortable posture, and the battery life is great.  Only problem is it is a small screen so whole 8.5*11 pages don't show up, and you have to page back and forth to read balance sheets and so on.

Here are the options I have been considering:

Kindle DX:  I've heard good things about it, it has the e-ink screen which I like.  Battery life is excellent, they say 2 or 3 weeks with wireless turned off.  Screen is quite a bit larger than the regular kindle.  I am not sure how reports would show up in it, since it is still smaller than a sheet of paper, but I am thinking  that if I shrink them down to fit they might still  be large enough print to read comfortably while still displaying a full page.  Price $240

IPAD: Little larger screen, much shorter battery life at 10 hrs.  They have a backlit display which people seem to like, but I imgagine eye strain is still worse than the kindle.  Obviously the  advantage with the IPAD and other tablets is you can also navigate the internet, use a keyboard etc.  Price 500 bucks.

other tablets:  haven't researched these much.  It seems that people generally prefer the IPAD, but then again, I probably won't be using it the same way as most people.

print: the old school option. This could be expensive for someone who sometimes reads 100 or more pages a day.  And most of the printers I've ever used at some point end up driving you insane with some silly error code or malfunction.  But so far no one has invented a better way of consuming written material IMO.  I am waiting for that perfect device that displays everything exactly as if I had printed it, with no eye strain, long battery life, and low price, but from what I can tell it hasn't been invented yet.

So which method do you use?  Thanks in advance for any replies

I am wondering how board members read their reports, presentations, etc.?  I hate reading on desktop and laptop computers, so a lot of times I convert it to a pdf and put it on my kindle.  I love reading on it because there's no eye strain and I can assume a comfortable posture, and the battery life is great.  Only problem is it is a small screen so whole 8.5*11 pages don't show up, and you have to page back and forth to read balance sheets and so on.

Kindle DX:  I've heard good things about it, it has the e-ink screen which I like.  Battery life is excellent, they say 2 or 3 weeks with wireless turned off.  Screen is quite a bit larger than the regular kindle.  I am not sure how reports would show up in it, since it is still smaller than a sheet of paper, but I am thinking  that if I shrink them down to fit they might still  be large enough print to read comfortably while still displaying a full page.  Price $240

IPAD: Little larger screen, much shorter battery life at 10 hrs.  They have a backlit display which people seem to like, but I imgagine eye strain is still worse than the kindle.  Obviously the  advantage with the IPAD and other tablets is you can also navigate the internet, use a keyboard etc.  Price 500 bucks.

other tablets:  haven't researched these much.  It seems that people generally prefer the IPAD, but then again, I probably won't be using it the same way as most people.

print: the old school option. This could be expensive for someone who sometimes reads 100 or more pages a day.  And most of the printers I've ever used at some point end up driving you insane with some silly error code or malfunction.  But so far no one has invented a better way of consuming written material IMO.  I am waiting for that perfect device that displays everything exactly as if I had printed it, with no eye strain, long battery life, and low price, but from what I can tell it hasn't been invented yet.

A kindred spirit here.  I always prefer to read on good, old fashioned paper if I can.  We have a Kindle Fire and as you said while it's nice for reading, for annual reports and the like it doesn't work at all since the whole page doesn't show up.  I don't know about the newer version.  I got an Ipad and it works great for reading filings and anything else for that matter.  It's pretty close to the size of a sheet of paper and everything fits on the screen nicely.  It's a nice substitute for a hard copy, but everything being equal I still prefer regular paper if I have the option.

I download K's and Q's to my laptop....................then forget they're there half the time.  ;D

But yes, I read them on my laptop.  I much prefer paper though, same for books.

I'm looking for a tablet/reader type of device but I can't decide what I want yet, cost is the main factor.

for kindle touch

One good option is to save the html or pdf and then send an email (attaching your file) to your kindle with subject "Convert". Amazon does a good job of converting to kindle format. you may incur charges (not for wifi) for whispernet.

there is an option called "reading mode" in kindle's web browser. this is really good too

There are tools like caliber, mobipocket that convert any files to epub, aws (kindle) ...

---

Kindle DX is awesome, you can read a pdf in landscape mode if needed. There is no need to convert.

Order of preference

- paper / laptop / tablet

- iPad

- small tablet like kindle

Paper and laptop both have adv and disadvantage, with laptop I get the big screen and I can search, good old paper I cannot search, there are other pro and cons to each

But most tablet are just too small and to use to read filings, reading book and article they are good at

I am struggling with this issue too.

Maybe we should all wait for Sony's 13.3" reader.

Here is a demo video =>

This looks like it's exactly what I am looking for.  I really like the e-ink.  I think it's easier on the eyes than the retina display.  Plus the battery life is longer.  But I have a feeling I am going to have to wait for a while for the price to come down.  Then I'll just be waiting for the Johnny Mnemonic device so that I can download investing knowledge straight into my brain.

I order the K's from the company, I never read them on a screen.

For the Q's and other filings I use an Ipad. I've tried kindle, computer, laptop, etc...the Ipad with retina display is IMHO the best substitute for paper.

I prefer paper so I can make notes when I think of something worth writing down. It's easier to go back and focus on my comments on paper rather than using a notepad and reading off a screen.

Otherwise if there isn't an option to order reports, I'll use a laptop with a big screen or a tablet as a last resort.

I'm just going to leave this here...

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/ipad

Same warrantee as a new one, and all the refurb stuff I've ever bought from them (about 5 items) has looked and worked like they're brand new.

Not an apple fanboy tho!  Please, look at the google/amazon products and let me know if they're better!  I love saving money. :D

I prefer paper as well.  Reading is easier with a hard copy, plus I can add written notes, then file and quickly retrieve documents weeks/months later.  No electronic device comes close.

A few months ago I bought an HP high-speed (42ppm) duplex color printer and a coil binding machine.  I couldn't be happier with the results.  It has worked flawlessly, and documents are ready within minutes.  Best of all, I don't hesitate to print 10-K's, 10-Q's, presentations, conference calls, transcripts, and articles that interest me.  My daily reading pile is ready in minutes.  I now read more information with better comprehension that ever before.  This alone will pay for the $2,000 all-in cost of the hardware many times over.

A few months ago I bought an HP high-speed (42ppm) duplex color printer and a coil binding machine.  I couldn't be happier with the results.  It has worked flawlessly, and documents are ready within minutes.  Best of all, I don't hesitate to print 10-K's, 10-Q's, presentations, conference calls, transcripts, and articles that interest me.  My daily reading pile is ready in minutes.  I now read more information with better comprehension that ever before.  This alone will pay for the $2,000 all-in cost of the hardware many times over.

Interesting. Would you mind linking to the printer and coil binding machine you purchased?

Thanks!

Interesting. Would you mind linking to the printer and coil binding machine you purchased?

Thanks!

Printer:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-LaserJet/CC494A?HP-Color-LaserJet-Enterprise-CP4525dn-Printer#BVRRWidgetID

Binders:

https://www.probinding.com/SubCategoryProducts.aspx?SubCategoryID=2

If you are planning on binding your documents, automatic two-sided printing (included in the printer linked above) is a must.  Also, if you are planning to bind one or a few documents a day then the low volume (read: least expensive) binder will do the work.  No need to pay for an expensive binding machine that is designed to bind 50 presentations in a sitting.  Enjoy.

Thanks!

Printer:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Printers/HP-LaserJet/CC494A?HP-Color-LaserJet-Enterprise-CP4525dn-Printer#BVRRWidgetID

Binders:

https://www.probinding.com/SubCategoryProducts.aspx?SubCategoryID=2

If you are planning on binding your documents, automatic two-sided printing (included in the printer linked above) is a must.  Also, if you are planning to bind one or a few documents a day then the low volume (read: least expensive) binder will do the work.  No need to pay for an expensive binding machine that is designed to bind 50 presentations in a sitting.  Enjoy.

Awesome. Thanks so much for the links.

• 1 month later...

How about ipad mini ? too small ?

I use my iPad, and MacBook in that order.  I much prefer to read on the iPad.  I have never noticed any eye strain from it, maybe I'm used to it.  I'm looking at screens all day long.

I tried the mini recently, as well as the nexus 7 and the nook and kindle 7" HD offerings.  I liked the mini the best, especially for reading books and pdfs like value line reports (the screen is .8 bigger and is just about perfect), but the nook was great for the price (~$150).  I would probably rank the nexus next.  The kindle is kind of clunky, but its convenient if you're dialed into the amazon media ecosystem.

• 6 months later...

Samsung Note 10.1 2014 is a great device for reading and taking notes.  The screen resolution is better than ipad and it has an active digitizer, which helps in accurate note taking.  (The older Note 10.1 had poor resolution).  It also has an SD card slot which can be used for memory expansion upto 64GB.  There's a bit of learning curve in getting used to the pen, because it has many features.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-White/dp/B00F3SOJ88

I've tried hand-held readers but nothing beats a good monitor mounted on a proper desk mount arm. Its easy to flip in portrait mode when necessary, and lift it higher so I can stand and move a bit while reading. Too much sitting and/or laying down would be my main concern when reading for hours and hours.